badly want a dog , buut as i got to premission to pick the breed
im just lost , i have no idea on witch dog we should get , but here
are some i thought abit of ..

Wolf Hybrid
- Somehow i badly want one buuut its also a wolf :O

(How cute are they tho? :O)
aaand this just maked me adore them totaly ;

Shetland Sheepdog
- Only because of this picture (have one at my moms)

American Staffordshire Terrier
- I loove this dog , same it might be illigal in Denmark soon :/

So as you can see i have my doubt, Would be lovely if you posted other races too (with pictures ofc) and reasons :P

PonyMama

i would not be me if I did not suggest the Catahoula

they are a med size dog, don't require a lot fo grooming as they are short hair (and I only mean they don't need to be brushed out on a daily basis)
Extremely loving
energetic and enjoy play
Beautiful colors
Great around kids as well as other animals (or any I met have been)
also a great watch dog

Ryuukokoro

I would really suggest looking at a shelter rather than looking at certain breeds. Looking for a breed you like is really fun, but even though most of the dogs in the shelters are mutts, they really need homes badly and sometimes there are even pure breeds there as well. You would be saving the life of an animal in need.

Also the benefits of getting a dog at the shelter is that you can spend time with the dog and get to know their temperament before deciding to buy. You can look for the individual dog that would be a perfect fit in your home (whether you're going to be around a lot or away more, whether a high-energy or low-energy dog would do better in your life, etc.) You also know your money is also going to a great cause, feeding the other dogs and animals at the shelter that don't have a home. :)

indigowulf

This is going to sound strange but, having been raised with wolf hybrids, I recomend against them for 99.99% of people. If you have less than 20 acres, dont even consider them. its just not fair to the dog.

Google maps Ione, WA, USA. follow the road acrost the river and 14 miles into the national forest. thats where i grew up. and we STILL had neighbors complaining that our dogs crossed thier property as they roamed. (nearest neighbor was over a mile straight through woods)

I love wolf hybrids more then i love people. they *were* my family, as i was homeschooled, only child, no tv or electricity, ad so on. Im the biggest advocate for thier cause youll meet. as such, itry to steer people away from 'owning' them. they are the kind of dog you dont own, you are part of thier pack.

people who dont have enough room or dont understand how instinctually driven these dogs are- are responsable for the bad reputation they have. just like people who think every heavy dog in the world is a pittbull and blame all meanness on them are responsable for that dogs bad rep.

i highly agree with ryuu- you cant do better then a shelter. last time i was there, i fell in love with a dalmation/some sort of terrier (Staffordshire?) cross. i was unable to take him home because i was renting and not allowed. but point is, i would have never in a million years thought of that breed cross if i was asked, but there he was, beautiful and sweet and man i wish i could have got him!

the idea that such a wonderful dog may have been put down still makes me cry. be a dogs hero.. save one today! you may find something you could never have dream existed, and make a new best friend!

Ryuukokoro

And my friend just reminded me, so I wanted to give a heads up: in some states it is illegal to own wolf hybrids, so if you were set on getting one, make sure you check local laws. In my home state of Maine, if they find proof you have a wolf hybrid, the police will seize the dog and put it to sleep. :(

Ravvana

Quote from: Ryuukokoro on January 29, 2010, 04:41:09 PM
I would really suggest looking at a shelter rather than looking at certain breeds. Looking for a breed you like is really fun, but even though most of the dogs in the shelters are mutts, they really need homes badly and sometimes there are even pure breeds there as well. You would be saving the life of an animal in need.

100% seconded! :)

red_uni387

I have never really been close to a dog, only cats, but I believe they're the same with the issue of pure and mixed breeds ^^ (if not, ignore this) Not only do purebreeds often have problems associated with only that breed(german shepherds have some leg problems), they can also have certain personalities(picky Siamese) So Ryuu is defintely pointing you toward the right path :)

indigowulf

yeah that oo. Hip displacia, bloat, and certain cancers are very common in purebred large dogs. the odds of it happening go down staggeringly fast once you move away from purebreds. almost as if they had been inbred by humans or something  :o

PonyMama

I don't think that is correct about breeds versus mutts.
Yes of course certain breeds can have ailments, but so can mutts with that breed in them.  
Then you can have things like cancer which cares not wether it is pure or not.  

Plus no matter what it is always best to know the dog you are bringing into your home.  What it's needs are and it's tempermant.  Mutt or not they all need homes.  

Yes a shelter dog does need a home, and starter costs would be cheaper, but if you are set on a breed then make sure you do your research for something that will suit your needs, and that you can suit it's needs (for either you shoudl research to make sure all needs are met)

Pinkshadow

Well the thing is , that Denmark dosnt have that many shelters, and the ones i did look at (i look on internet and pictures first) just didnt say me much ..

The most importned thing for me is getting a Social dog or a dog i can work with and then a pretty dog :P

PonyMama

pretty is always a plus though

Hmmmm denmark, not too sure if there are catahoula breeders there and to get one shipped, although it is possible can be expensive, so let me think of another dog suggestion

Spixy

Hello fellow Dane :-)

I'd suggest the Shetland Sheepdog if you plan on being active with it. My boyfriend and I has considered getting a dog too and we've written around to different shetland sheepdog/border collie breeders, explaining our situation and if they think the would "fit" in our lives. Most have been very kind and helpful in providing useful information about the breed, most have offered for us to come and "see" the dog in the every day life, so I'd suggest you do that :P

If you're serious about the American Staffordshire Terrier, I know that there's a sweet one sitting in the Tilst Dyreinternat -> www.ddaa.dk -> Vi søger hjem til -> Bottom -> Albert.
I've been out to the shelter many times and unfortunatly he hasn't found a home yet, even though he's a real sweetheart <3

EDIT:
Link: http://www.ddaa.dk/html/stor_billede.php?pic=P1080880.JPG

Pinkshadow

Spixy - He is amazing ! I actually planned on getting a female dog
but those eyes are so cute. I will deff talk with my boyfriend about
it :D

Spixy

Haha :D I'm happy to help.
You should def go and meet him then, he's just so happy and absolutely loves company. Unfortunately most people go by him because of his breed :(