News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Book Series suggestions

Started by PonyMama, January 31, 2010, 08:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PonyMama

ok I have been reading a lot lately, and most of it is all by P C Cast.  I love how she writes so I read it.  I have read a few others things by other people and liek them too and it got me wondering if others coudl maybe suggest other series of books I could read and what they are about.

So here are the ones I suggest if you like a different take on vampires:
House of Night series
written by PC Cast and Kristen Cast
about the journey into Vampire life for teen Zoey Redbird, who is marked by the goddess all vampires follow.  She is thrust into a position of power, with little experience in her new life.  You follow her day to day struggle with her being an instant outcast, learning a new life and figuring out her powers and why she was given them.
It has much teenage lingo as these are 16-19 year olds in the story, but written well enough to keep the attention of adult followers.  It also has a bit of sexual content that some younger people may not be allowed to read, but all in all a good series to read.

Marked, Betrayed, Chosen, Untamed, Hunted and Tempted are the ones currently out

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Partholon Series
Written by PC Cast
Average school teacher Shannon Parker buys a mysterious urn from an auction that has a goddess that resembles her to the T.  The drive home takes her where she never expected to go.  She has switched places with a goddess incarnate to face a marriage and a war.  But how will Shannon pull this off with no knowledge of this world or anything in it?  
More geared again towards young adults, this series can keep you reading.  She has a vast love for any and all goddesses and proves it in this series.  Epona guides her new goddess incarnate through her journey, and new life.

Divine by Mistake, Divine by Choice and Divine by Blood are the titles in this series
Elphame's Choice and Brigid's Quest are also set in Partholon, just 100's of years later.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Goddess Summoning series
written by PC Cast
Each of these are completely seperate, but linked as they hold one of a couple Olympian Gods/Goddesses.  So far I have read two and am reading a third.
Goddess of the Sea- CC switches places with Undine a mermaid who is being harassed.
Goddess of Spring- Gives a whole new twist on how Persphone and Hades get together
Goddess of Light- Just started this one, but Apollo is I am sure in for a wonderful experience
Goddess of the Rose- Have not started yet and won't peek.
there are two more titles that are not out yet, Goddess of Love and Warrior Rising.

All fo these ones are adult books and shoudl be read but mature persons, and I think even teens shoudl stear clear for now

red_uni387

GUARDIANS OF GA'HOOLE <3
very childish, simply written, but I just love the series. it's good vs. evil with owls, and the protagonist and antagonist are brothers (dundundun!)

Kadana Sorano

I like a lot of authors and book series.  Not entirely sure how many of them I'd be allowed to advertise here though, as they are mostly found in the adult section.

However, there is one series I have been reading since I was 15/16.  (I'm 32 now).  it's a wonderful series by a wonderful super sweet author.  It's the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony.  I highly suggest these books, especially if you just need to relax, unwind, and maybe get a laugh or two.  The books are very corny at times, as they are filled with Puns.  Funny puns, quirky puns, horrible puns to make you groan.. Some of the darkest times in my life, those books have helped me get by, by "lightening my load" if for just a short while.  Giving me something to smile at, when it seemed nothing in the world would ever make me smile again.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Solistia

A particular favorite of mine that i find myself reading over and over again are Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_Magic
I just love the characters and their interactions. And the world they live in is amazing to learn about =D

Another series I often find myself re-reading is Joh  Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series. I even got a friend of mine addicted to it XD (it's one of those where I have to have the hardback as soon as it releases ^o^ )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger%27s_Apprentice
A very fun action-adventure series =D

PonyMama

Ok got all my PC Cast ones in the first post, will add other series as I get them written, but they will be through the thread.

Taruia

I highly recommend the Percy Jackson series. It's young adultish, but so much fun to read. Especially if you have knowledge about Greek mythology...soooo many in jokes.

Also LOVE Jim Butcher, both The Dresden Files, and Codex Alera series. More adult, but I'd say PG-13ish.

If you like vampires I recommend Tanya Huff, she's more adult, but sooo good. Leaning towards R? Maybe?

For the werewolf lovers I am a fan of Alice Borchardt, only go with the Silver Wolf series, as the Dragon Queen series wasn't finished before she died. This series is very much adults only.

Reality is only for those who lack imagination.

PonyMama

Percy Jackson's series is on my next to buy list, I have never read it but really want to.  I love Gods and Goddesses (if you can't tell already by my PC Cast love)

Dunkel.Prinzessin204

Well if same sex couples don't make you uncomfortable I highly recommend the Heralds of Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey. It's a bunch of trilogies that all take place in the same universe. Most of them involve telepathic horses called companions.  For more info please check out this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_Lackey#Heralds_of_Valdemar

Now the other series I would recommend is The Raven King Trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead, and I would suggest getting the book with larger print as these books are very intelligent and it took me forever to read the first one in the regular sized paperback. For more info look below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Raven_Trilogy

PonyMama

Mortal Instruments Series
Written by Cassandra Clare
this series is all about downworlders (vampires, demons, warlocks, and faeries) and shadowhunters (human-angel hybrid protectors), who battle it out to get the upperhand.  This is a battle between light and dark, with a buffy the vampire kinda feel.  You know certain chosen ones who protect the rest of mankind from the bad guys.  If you liked Buffy you will probably like this series, if you didn't like Buffy you will like it too, becasue it doesn't have her in it :)
A young adults book, so safe for all.  No sexual content, except a little bit of flirting and kissing.  A safe series to read.

City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass are the titles in this series.

Lectral

I thoroughly enjoy the Heralds of Valdemar series, by Mercedes Lackey, as well as her Elemental Masters series, though I am a book or two behind on those.

The Noble Dead Saga, by Barb and JC Hendee is awesome - it is supposed to consist of 3 "series" when complete.  The first series of 6 books follow one set of characters, the next series has just begun and the main character so far was one of the secondary chars from the first series.  Vampire hunter/vampires, other fantasy races

Another one that's good, though could be considered "childish" (if you want to consider 3-400+ pages, and frequent "violence" childish) Brian Jacques' Redwall series.  Fantasy, all the characters are animals.  I love these books; I have all of them... though I need to see if there is a new one, he was putting out a book pretty much every year for a while, though it seems to have dropped to every other year or two lately

I was considering Percy Jackson...  may have to check the used bookstore for one or two

Taruia

Valdemar! I love Misty! How did I forget her? *prods self*

PonyMama

I am one of thos people that I will buy one book from a series and then buy the rest if I liked the first.  I will check into a couple of these suggested.

I have about 5-6 more series I wish to add, and although I could include Harry Potter and Twilight, I am not going to as I want this thread to stay drama free. :)

red_uni387

oh yes, Percy Jackson very good series. It's the only series of books my brother has ever read, it's that good (and he's 13)

quyllur

I love Mercedes Lackey, I've read a bunch of her Valdemar, a couple of the elemental masters and two really nice ones The Fairy Godmother and one after that whose name escapes me.  Oh, and the Joust books are ones I read over and over again as well.

Another series I REALLY enjoyed was Robin Hobb's  Farseer series and then the following one, the Tawny Man series.  All six are excellent books.

When I was working at a bookstore over Christmas, the most popular series were definitely Percy Jackson, House of Night and Vampire Diaries.  Oh and Hush Hush was another popular one.

A series I've just started is Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy.  I've finished the first one and enjoyed it so far.  Also, Karen Miller!  Empress <- excellent book!  So different from typical fantasy.  The second one, Riven Kingdom, another excellent read.  Haven't read Hammer of God yet.

Goddesss

Maximum Ride by James Patterson

I think these are the only book he wrote geared towards young adults.  I have read 4 of them there are currently 5 and the 6th to come out this year.

Copying the discription from a website because I am lazy right now.

Maximum Ride is a series of five young adult science fiction/fantasy books, written by the award-winning American author James Patterson. The series chronicles the lives of six human/avian fugitives. Bred in a science lab called "The School", the Flock endured scientific experiments that rendered them 98% human and 2% avian. Through the first three books of the Maximum Ride series, the Flock spends much of their time running from human-lupine hybrids created by the School called Erasers. Book four is mainly about the flock rising against global warming, while Book 5 is about saving Dr. Martinez from a man named Mr. Chu, while battling environmental pollution. The reason for the change in style of the books is reportedly because the series is to be made up of two trilogies: The Fugitives (books 1–3) and The Protectors (books 4-6)[

indigowulf

The Indigo series by Louise Cooper, no longer in print, but that's what I grew up with. The time between books made it so it lasted most of my late teens. First book entitled "Nemisis"

Another great one, Jane Lindskold's firekeeper books. First of that series is called "Through Wolf's Eyes"

Hmm, both about strong young women, with wolf companions they can communicate with. I wonder if I have a trend? lol

Other then those type, all I could recomend are horror novels or things someone 13ish may not find suitable.

Taruia

Ack forgot about Jane Lindskold too >.< I have all of those as well. XD

Pinkshadow

The Twilight Saga :D
- amazing book serie ;D

Ember

I see some very good series I've already read and others I was interested in. Here's some of my favourite series.

The Smoke Series by Tanya Huff is a good one. There's some vampire stuff, but the main character is Tony Foster. He was a street kid in the Blood Series but the Smoke Series shows him as an adult struggling in the television industry. I love how she mocks typical horror story cliches.

His Majesty's Dragon Series by Naomi Novik is an awesome series as well. The plot centers around a former Navy Captain of England and the dragon he bonds with during the Napoleonic Wars. I found it has a lot of charm and it provided an interesting look at what that era was like (I'm not big on history).

The Council Wars Series by John Ringo is the last oen I'll suggest right now. Its a sci fi set in the future. The world has become a eutopia thanks to technology but the council that acts as the government of the world end up going into war and taking all the power that runs the world to attack and defend against each other.

BabyKittenCandy

Well, I like fantasy and would recomend the following:

Terry Goodkind; The Sword of Truth series, Starts with Wizards First Rule

First off Please please dont be put off by the TV show that has been done of it.

Follows the path of a man who suddenly finds he is more than he ever thought he was as he learns about magic and his birthright. Full of twists and turns, not a kids series tbh, the books as they go get a more and more adult theme, there are about 10 in the series so far, if not more (cant recall how many he has done now, im still buying them :)  ) Not loads more I can say without writing a novel :) Its well written and heartfelt.

Terry Brooks, The Sword of Shanara series

Fantasy about a magical sword and the fight for it between good and evil, Elves and Demons, druids and wizards. Again, a long series but definately a firm fave of mine.

Lady Everlasting

*steals descriptions from internet as she's in a rush to get to work)

The Obernewtyn Chronicles by Isobelle Carmody, this is more older teens:

It is a series of science fiction/fantasy novels by Australian author Isobelle Carmody. They have a post apocalyptic setting, and depict a world long after its destruction by a global nuclear holocaust. The series' protagonist, Elspeth Gordie, is a young girl with mental powers condemned by the series' main antagonists, the governing body known as the Council, and the religious authority, the Herder Faction. The novels deal with themes of responsibility, duty, prejudice, discrimination, tolerance, and human and animal rights.

There are 6 books out currently, with 7 and 8 being release this year in July.

A Song of Ice and Fire by R.R. Martin, definatly an adult series:
The story of A Song of Ice and Fire takes place in a fictional world, primarily upon a continent called Westeros but also on a large landmass to the east, known as Essos.  Most of the characters are human but as the series progresses other races are introduced, such as the cold and menacing Others from the far North and fire-breathing dragons from the East, both races thought to be extinct by the people of the story. There are three principal storylines in the series: the chronicling of a dynastic civil war for control of Westeros between several competing families; the rising threat of the Others who dwell beyond an immense wall of ice that forms Westeros' northern border.

There are 4 of these books out right now and the 5th one is coming out in september.  These are VERY long books, the shortest is a little over 800 pages and the longest is over 1000 so if you like to stick witha story for a long time this is definatly a series for you.
~Lady Everlasting

Lectral

Wheee, new Song of Ice and Fire finally!  Hopefully, it actually comes out on time XD

Silvanon

If you're into young adult-type-ish fantasy, I really like Robin McKinely, and Diana Wynne Jones.  Both have written a lot, and most of it only vaguely falls into series.

indigowulf

Hey BKC, Im reading sword of truth now. Im currently on "naked kingdom" I was curiouse about the tv series. is it really horrible?