News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Frog and Newt Care?

Started by PonyMama, February 04, 2010, 12:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PonyMama

ok so I don't actually have them yet, but before I say to taking the pair I want to know what am getting into. My friend hastly let her daughter accept a fire bellied fron and a fire bellied newt from someone they knew. Upon realizing that the frog ate crickets she no longer wants them, and they offered them to me.

So what I need to know is anything that I might need to know about care for these critters. I have read some online but it is always nice for tips that others have found. What size tank, best way to clean take, best way to set up tank, how often to feed, stuff liek that.

So if you have one fo these critters or have ever had I would love to know, before I take them

indigowulf

I havent raised either of those, but I had a chinese water dragon for many years.

I can give 1 tip- you dont have to *buy* crickets. The little buggers are so easy to breed and raise. I had a 10 gallon tank with a lid where I kept my Kily's spare crickets between feedings. They were happy, started to breed, and I never had to buy her food again.

I had the thick, heavy cardboard egg crate cones for them to live in. A mason jar lid with a sponge in it provided water. catfood and bits of fruit fed them. I coated them with a calsium vitamin mix before feeding to the lizard.

However, dont let them breed in the creatures tank! if they begin to out number the critters, the crickets will eat them instead!

The best thing about raising your own crickets (other than the money you save) if you get too many, you can always release some outside.

Ill see if I can find you a good website on firebellys if you want?

PonyMama

well that is helpful.  I know that the newt apparently refused to eat the crickets, the originial owner said she ate them but she does not, she prefers blood worms, so it is only the frog.

If you could find a website I would be happy of course, just hoping for some personal experience advice.  You know never take a pet into your home if you don't knwo how to care for it, do your research.