News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Live Breeders..oh does he know what hes done.

Started by Tribe, February 04, 2010, 03:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tribe

So my husband bought me an awesome gift last night. Two beautiful gold mollys, which are actually gold instead of the normal puky yellow with lovely black spots on thier back halves. The one was a cute chubby thing that barley has any tail because hes a bit stubby...the other was a slimmer verison with less black.

I adore them however when i got to looking, they are male & female..i say to my husband *poo these fish are livebears we are garunteed to have babies about every 30 days...now we'll need a bigger tank. Because these fish are a pair of male and female. My husband starts to grin *i know i asked the lady for both. He really had not a clue to what he had done XD i remember my first live bearing fish i had guppies and they just bred and had babies and over crowded and oh wow what a mess. Im  hoping because of the small tank they maybe wont breed but i doubt it, kinda glad our tax check was larger this year as ill be able to get my big tank i wanted anyways.

Just thought id share this lovely little bit with you guys.

Gene Pool

Good thing inbreeding with fish isn't as bad as with mammals and other critters. Especially considering, if they came from the same pet store and are the same age with similar colors, they are already most likely closely related.

Good luck with your massive spawn-to-be!

(pics? bambi eyes)
This is DizzyFishClick DizzyFish for website!

SplitX

Aw how cute though! x3 Maybe he's giving you a hint? -cackles- Maybe he wants lots of babies too. xDDD

I has Guppies though. o_o I do believe there was a mistake though. We only had female Guppies at one point. She got pregnant in our tank, so we think she bred with a swordtail, 'cause we had a male swordtail, and the baby looks like a HUGE Guppy (definitely not a swordtail) with half-Guppy & half-Swordtail markings. o___o; Soooo either something beyond weird happened, orrrr she smoehow was just super late having babies and had mutasnt babies.

Tribe

XD splitty we have a six month old & we have one cooking 14 weeks this past monday.

If we get any spawn i can save i promise pictures the entire time they grow.

Splitty love i dont know that they can cross breed but i think live bears can carry 30 days plus so that could be why, or one of those females couldve been a not so fancy male. I could never keep more then one or two baby guppies alive as theyd get eaten off before id realize they were even there. Though if i notice my female starting to swell this time ill probably put her in a breeding box so at least more the one fry have a chance.

SplitX

Mmmm definitely. I didn't count how long it took her to have the babies, so she could've breed with an incredibly macho (or feminine, in a Guppy's case XD) boy!
I had all of my fry Guppies outlive my other ones (we had tank issues; now I've just gotta restock). We have about... 18 baby Guppies, all outlived their parents & other Guppies from birth. x3

BabyKittenCandy

Ive kept Mollies for quite a while and they arent generally quite as prolific breeders as guppies, they are more picky about thier water for one thing.

Are you keeping a species or community tank? If the second you can just let nature take its course and it will help some with your numbers :)

Garney

Yeah I've bred mollies and swordtails for the last... geez, 16 years? Something like that XD

And yes, mollies are picky about their water, and most babies won't live without assistance of one form or another, especially with something like a clown loach *eyes said clown loach in her own tank*

As soon as I bought my last batch of dalmations, one the females birthed. So I've got a dozen itty bitty babies in my two and a half gallon til they grow big <3

Tribe

Thats actually rather good new, guppies breed at any chance they get.

Um right now its a one gallon tank with just the two that are in there. Nothing more. So really just for my own enjoyment of having pretty fishies XD the next tank will be more like a huge tank containing all sorts of fishies.

BabyKittenCandy

Oo... Garney Likes Swords?? They are my absolute faves! A shop near me had some massive double tailed ones in their display tank *drools*

Tribe

Im quite partial to my mollies, when i was smaller my aunt had a tank with a couple black and a few dalmation mollies i always adored.

Now i must say though these gold mollies are my favorite of all the molly colors.

BabyKittenCandy

Mollies are lovely :) Swords are my def fave, then mollies and plecs ^^