News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Treasure Candles!

Started by Saturnalia, October 10, 2012, 12:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saturnalia

I think these qualify as art. I mean, I do use a ton of colors and stuff... hehe!

In any case, I make treasure candles. "What are treasure candles?" you may ask. Well, they are candles, obviously, but with little trinkets inside. So, as you burn them, you come across charms and semiprecious stones and other fun (non-flammable) things. I have way too much fun making them! And seeing as I was just laid off from my job (for calling out Monday, because my mare was colicking badly, ug) I figured that today I would make some and update the website and such.

After all, Christmas is coming, and I'm hoping that I get some orders in to help with the bills!

If anyone is curious, I have a freshly-updated website here:
http://wanderingdruid.net/dtt/

I also do custom work, in whatever colors are wanted, with whatever scents from my (rather large) stash. (Did I mention I even have bacon scent? hehehe!) Currently, I'm making a candle based off of an awesome game called Dominion, because I am a huge nerd.

Also, even if you have absolutely no interest what-so-ever in candles, I'm still curious-- what kind of scents do people like? Food? Incensey? Floral? I'm always looking for suggestions :)

Kahlira

They look pretty cool I think XD And I wish you luck selling them!

As for smells I like? That bacon sounds mighty tempting XD But I'm a hug fan of vanilla myself. Dunno why.

Silvanon

Very pretty, and a fun idea to have surprises inside the candles too.  I'm a big fan of vanilla, too.  I don't usually like floral scents very much.

Luv007

I'm allergic to floral scents and have always hated them, but will third vanilla as my favorite smell!

Saturnalia

Yay, Vanilla! That definitely does seem to be a top seller. And I'm with you, Silv & Luv; I'm not huge on floral either.

Kah, my house currently smells like bacony kettle corn, hah... I should have thrown vanilla in there too for the heck of it!

And thanks, guys! I always like getting feedback on these. Sometimes I get too caught up in only making ones that I love (be it colors or scents) and so I like having reminders of what appeals to other people!

Ryuukokoro

!!!! Wow your website is gorgeous Saturnalia! I just spent some time cruising it, you did a great job with the design.

I'm a HUGE candle nut--my house is full of them and I always have a couple burning. I agree vanilla is a popular one, but I do like the florals--especially lavender and lilac! Or rose garden! (Although that one brings to mind a grandmother's house if the smell is too strong. XD ) Some herb scents are usually good too, they give the home an earthly feel. I have a sage & lemon candle that is totally to die for.

My absolute favorite scent is balsam fur, or pine. But that might be because I'm so far north. XD That's what outdoors smells like here!

Food scents are a hit or miss for me. I really love blueberry or cherry, something like that. Cookies are a great scent because there's usually the ever-popular vanilla mixed in there. This time of year you see a lot of harvest or pumpkin scents, those are good too!

BTW I was so sad to see you were all sold out of dreamcatchers, they're very pretty! I will definitely be placing an order for some candles soon though~

Saturnalia

Ryu, thanks! I'm glad you like the site :D

I do rather like lavender and herb smells, too. Sage and lemon... that's a scent mix I might have to obtain/try at some point! Sounds super nice!

Hehe, I did just get three cookie scents-- chocolate chip, peanut butter & sugar, and I intend to make a "cookie platter" candle with all three :D

As for the dreamcatchers, I'll still do them on occasion as customs if asked. They tend to take me a while, though, so I just don't make them as often as I used to! I still have a ton of feathers, though, so maybe I'll start working on them again soon, hmmm...

Wildfilly94

I'm a biggy on cokie scents, hot chocolate, sugar cookie, brownie, all the bad sugary things make awesome candles. XD

Saturnalia

Wildfilly, the only problem is that smelling them makes me want to eat them, and then I have none! lol :)

Wildfilly94

Kadana Sorano

I adore candles, being a "fire bug" I like most things that burn lol  But the idea of finding a surprise inside is charming, I like it!  I am also extremely intrigued by your lotion candles :)

I have to be very careful with scented things.  There are a lot of scents that I like, but not so many that doesn't bother my allergies.

The Scents I like most are woodsy scents, because they remind me of home.  Pine being of course the most obvious and topping the list.  But there is also Beachnut, rain, moss, Winter/snow..  I am unsure how exactly you would get/make those particular scents, and I can only very rarely find them,so I'm sure it can;t be easy :S

Other scents I like are Sunflower, lilac, Lily, rose.. most of the "lighter" scented of the flowers, and a few of the stronger scented ones.  Sunflower and lilac bother my allergies the least.

I love a lot of the Christmas candles/scents, but oddly I prefer them NOT at Christmas time lol  Except Pumpkin, I highly dislike pumpkin.  My favorites so far have been the apple and/or cinnamon scents, and once I found a cranberry/mistletoe scent.  I'm not sure what real mistletoe smells like, but this candle was nice anyway.

I do like most of the fruit scents, and wish I could find more of them without either apple or cinnamon mixed in.  I like apple and cinnamon, but I'd like some other fruit scents to be more "pure" and not over shadowed by those two.  And anything citrusy is Love.

I like Sandalwood, but too much of it makes me queasy.  Same with Vanilla, I like the smell, but my body doesn't, it makes me vomit :S

I LOVE Fresh Linen and Sunshine scents, but again not sure how hard those are to make.  Anything that smacks of the outdoors, basically.

And if you could somehow bottle the scent of horses, you'd very nearly deserve hero status lol
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

BabyKittenCandy

Those sound fantastic! Im going all out for Handmade this christmas so I may well have to look into some of these!

Ryuukokoro

Quote from: Kadana Sorano on October 10, 2012, 04:42:34 PM
I adore candles, being a "fire bug" I like most things that burn lol  But the idea of finding a surprise inside is charming, I like it!  I am also extremely intrigued by your lotion candles :)

<snip>

And if you could somehow bottle the scent of horses, you'd very nearly deserve hero status lol

Oh yeah! I meant to ask, what is a 'lotion candle'? Is it like hand lotion and moisturizes the skin?

And omg Kadana is a genius. If there was a candle that smelled like a hay barn I would buy them FOREVER. XD

(Yankee Candle released a series of 'man scents' that includes leather, fresh cut lawn, cologne, etc. Haha I didn't like any of them when I smelled them in the store, but interesting idea! I can totally see 'cowboy' being a scent they would include in that line.)

Saturnalia

Woo! Yes, I love to burn candles. Funny enough, though, I started making the treasure candles because I no longer saw them in stores (you used to be able to find them in Hallmark stores and the like) and figured I'd just make them myself... but I already know what the treasures are, so I rarely actually burn my own candles. Go figure!

Kadana, I do have a 'Rainwater' scent that I adore. I think I'm pretty low and need to order more of that one, though! I do also have an "Oakmoss and Amber" one, but I'm not sure how close to being a mossy smell it actually is. I'm pretty sure I do have a mistletoe scent, and a handful of other Christmasy ones, some which are pretty piney. And I'm not huge on pumpkin either, so you aren't alone on that! I've got some non-appley fruit, too, like Mango & Tangerine (though I can't stand the taste or smell of those things, so I'm not a fan of that one, lol) and Raspberry.

Ahh, horse smell! I know Leafy said she found a "leather" scent. Perhaps it would be sort of reminiscent... otherwise the best I can think of is to make an unscented candle and go rub it all over my beasts, but they will probably think I'm extra crazy if I try that ;)

BKC, ooh! And like I said, if you want something you don't see up there, just get in touch :)

Oh! And Lotion candles! Ryu, you basically got it :) It's soy wax, vitamin E, olive oil, etc. The soy wax has a very low melting temperature, so the liquid melted wax can be used just like lotion or massage oil. And it's never hot enough to burn, just pleasantly warm :)

Ryuukokoro

Quote from: Saturnalia on October 10, 2012, 07:57:55 PM

Oh! And Lotion candles! Ryu, you basically got it :) It's soy wax, vitamin E, olive oil, etc. The soy wax has a very low melting temperature, so the liquid melted wax can be used just like lotion or massage oil. And it's never hot enough to burn, just pleasantly warm :)

o.o. That. Is so. Cool.

Kadana Sorano

*loves Mango, but is allergic*  Needless to say I'd love Mango scented candles lol  And that's awesome, I 'll have to keep a note of your candle shop if I get "spare" funds.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Winged

I love these! Such a great idea! Scent-wise, i'm allergic to most perfumes so nothing to strong and cloying. I love vanilla, and citrus and sometimes fruity smells. I also love your dreamcatchers :)
Owner of Gliders!

Sunchaser

from scentsy i find a lot of our waxs that have fruity smells go faster then the others. We also have a 'mens' line and one smells like axe. I would suggest working on a smell like that for the fact I know even though i LOVE scentsy because i dont have to worry about blowing it out, i like the idea of treasures lol

Saturnalia

Thanks, guys! :D You have all been so encouraging and helpful!

Sunchaser, I do have some that are sort of cologne-y. I'm not sure how they match up to Axe, because there is none in the house, but I've definitely had people say that some have a good "man smell", lol.