News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Alephan Wildren -- Nexus Dragons

Started by Dray, July 22, 2010, 06:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

News
August 2/10: Pickups are in the next post down, congrats to all of the give away winners!

Older Updates
July 23/10: In the process of setting up the thread for adoptable info! Check back to the first three posts for more information!

July 22/10: Hi folks! I'm new to Secundi but have been adopting dragons for about seven years now. This thread is still under construction but for now, a brief intro to the Alephan Wildren:

A large, draconic species with four legs and feathered wings, the Alephan Wildren are a breed of Nexus dragons that have emigrated from their home planet to check out Secundi. An example of their distant cousins can be found here.

This post will contain news and updates, the second post will contain events and pickups, and the third post will contain information about the species, as well as a register of the Wildren already adopted.

Dray

Events

None at the moment!

Flatsales: Closed
Auctions: Closed
Customs: Closed
Breedings: Closed
Commissions: Closed
Trades: Closed
Seasonal: Closed

Pickups
Keilin Alyr

Name: Ziva Emeri
Colour: White-Blue
Father: Unknown
Mother: Unknown
Height at the shoulder: 10'
Abilities: Verbal Speech, Size-Shifting, Heal Others
Personality: Up to you!

Seacrest

Name: Amphalos Lyva
Colour: Cyan-Teal-White
Height at the shoulder: 12'
Abilities: Verbal Speech, Telepathy Calming Aura

Kasatsu

Name: Urd Derivian
Colour: Blue-Purple-Grey
Abilities: Verbal Speech, Summon Oracle, Past Sight

Springacres

Name: (Pick a first name) Zediin
Colour: Purple-Brown-Gold
Abilities: Verbal Speech, Empathy, Far-Hearing

Dray

Out of Character Rules and Info
Naming and Claiming
Wildren are sentient creatures that choose names with a nice flow that suit their offspring. Usually their names are not literal ('Heart Blood', for example) nor mundane ('John' and 'Jane') though there are exceptions. Wildren born on Secundi may adopt naming traditions of other species and people! All Wildren adopt their father's surname. Currently there are eight family names who have immigrated to Secundi -- see below for more information.

Each Wildren comes with some basic information, which can be found in two places: The Certificate contains body colours and markings, parents, genders, owners and registry numbers, all of which is used in breeding. Info given alongside the dragon in text will indicate their size, some personality tidbits, and magical abilities. Whether you choose to keep the text info is up to you, but it can be useful!

Paging Your Wildren
Wildren can be kept in a boarding thread, though they should have a single post devoted each as they are large creatures and prefer to have their space. Exceptions are applicable, as Wildren can keep pets of their own, and may choose a life partner (either of the breeding variety, or the bonded-to-another-species variety) with which they share their innermost thoughts.

'Paging' a Wildren is synonymous with putting its image along with text information on a webpage outside of Secundi. You can expand on its basic information and even write stories or keep roleplay logs about it at this space -- freehostia.com and photobucket.com are popular choices. Paging your Wildren grants you privileges to breeding that simply keeping it in a boarding thread doesn't; however, please keep Wildren singly on a page, as they like to have their space. (I also have larger versions of certed images that will fit on a normal webpage, but not in the forum!)

If you page your Wildren, please send me a link of it once it's up so that I can include it in the roster!

Breeding
Wildren go into heat several times a year, and can lay between one and four eggs per breeding. Breeding Fees may vary on supply and demand. You don't have to own both Wildren to breed them, though both participants need to give permission to breed. It's up to players to decide who pays the breeding fee and how much. Currently there are no items that allow you to determine exactly what kind of Wildren or how many are born, however that may change in the future.

Paging your Wildren negates its half of the breeding fee -- if both Wildren are paged, the breeding is free!

Wildren do not mate for life, however they will only breed when their previous clutch has grown to maturity. With a successful breeding, eggs will hatch into babies, which will grow into adults in two breeding seasons. (So, breeding season 1: eggs hatch, breeding season 2: parents can't breed and offspring are growing, breeding season 3: offspring reach maturity, parents can breed again!)

Inbreeding is only frowned upon between parents and offspring or direct siblings. Breeding between cousins and so on is not necessarily encouraged, but is not necessarily looked down upon, either. Wildren are not born with birth defects or mutations, nor do they seem to age and die.

Trading
Trading, Buying and Selling Wildren is to happen during designated periods only. A small fee will be levied during the process to change certificate and ownership information. If you had your Wildren paged, please ensure that you clearly mark that you no longer own the Wildren along with the new owner's name and information, if applicable!

Information About Wildren
About Nexus Dragons
'Nexus Dragons' are a set of draconic species native to an adoptable forum known as the Nexus. They hail from many worlds and planes of existence, but often travel between such places for any variety of reasons. Despite their wildly different appearances, most Nexus Dragons are interbreedable. (Out of character, different adoptions agencies are able to breed one another's dragons together or to their own species!) This means that many Nexus Dragons are mutts with long pedigrees and variegated lineages.

'Bonding' in the Nexus is a common practice between a dragon and another sentient creature such as a humanoid or another dragon, the likes of which join the two's minds and make them a team for life. Some bonding is done naturally when the dragon breaks its shell, other bonding occurs through the aid of magic. As several Pernese Weyrs are located within the Nexus, the natural ability to bond has bred into some of the non-Pernese dragons. Because this ritual is so wide-spread, many dragons deign to take on a humanoid partner even if there is no mental connection. Many Nexus worlds host comparable numbers of draconic and humanoid populations, and cooperation between the two is often strong.

About Alephan Wildren
General
Alephan Wildren are a subset of Nexus Dragons, hailing from a planet known as 'Aleph'. The roots of their heritage began at Nidus Corona, but as these Wildren moved away from centers of population and began to interbreed with wild dragons and with one another, they formed their own, unique breed. While roughly eight family units have immigrated to Secundi, they are welcome back to the Nexus at any time, and will actually receive bonuses for being paged individually on a website.

Physiology
Wildren are a sapient draconic species with four legs, one head, feathered wings and one tail. They come in all varieties of colours and patterns, though spots, stripes, and cool colours are the most common. Parts of their body are covered with a glossy, hardened armor, and their tail-tips support colourful fans that seem to be half-feather, half-scale. These fans are used both as rudders (the Wildren are known for their great acrobatic skill in the air) and for mating displays. A Wildren's colours are often linked to his or her magical abilities, although this is not always the case.

Hatching from a shell, they grow rapidly, reaching maturity at about ten years of age and living until about 150. They reach a height of 12' at the shoulder, with a length from nose to tail-tip of roughly three times that size. Some have the ability to shift their bodies into a humanoid form, or to change their overall size. All have the ability to speak verbally, and are quite quick at picking up languages. Their native language, Nexus Common, is somewhat slurred due to their infrequent contact with other creatures. Wildren accents sound similar to a Dixie accent, or a southern drawl.

Wildren don't tend to bond naturally, though they are friendly with humanoids and just about any other sapient species, and tend to make friends quickly. Wildren may take on life-long mates, but they may also take on a partner in the 'BFF' sense, similar to a bond, but lacking the distinct telepathic connection.

Life Cycle

Family Groups
Vyyan - Magic abilities tend to run towards summoning and speaking with the dead.

Lyva - Magic abilities run towards influencing the mental state of others.

Eyele - Magic abilities commonly found within this family focus on the manipulation of light and shadow.

Emeri - This family's magic often gives them the ability to heal others and themselves.

Pesoro - Magic abilities of this family often run towards manipulating the wind and summoning breezes.

Zediin - This family can often hear and see things on the air with their magic that most would not be able to.

Derivian - This family's magical abilities allow them to look back or forward in time to certain extents.

Aedian - Magic abilities of this family give them the limited ability to speed or slow the passing of time.

Magical Abilities
Verbal Speech: All Wildren learn to speak aloud as they grow. They may even pick up several languages if exposed at a young age.

Calming Aura: The Wildren can send out a wave of calm and peace to those around it, settling anger or stress in others and, with practice, putting others to sleep.
Empathy: The Wildren can sense the feelings of those around it. With practice, it can moderate when and how much it feels along with those in its surroundings, and even influence a target's feelings.
Far Hearing: The Wildren can catch sounds carried on the wind that no one else can hear, often from miles away. Practice allows the Wildren to pick up more information from further distances.
Heal Others: The Wildren can call on bone to knit and flesh to mend, usually drawing life force from themselves and surroundings to aid in healing the wound.
Past Sight: The Wildren can receive a flash of knowledge from the past. Untrained, this is usually random and from the near past. Practice allows them to focus on certain places and times, though the information becomes less clear the further the Wildren ranges.
Size Shifting: The Wildren can make itself smaller or larger. Untrained, they can shift a few cubic feet in either direction. With practice they can become as small as a wolf or as large as a house!
Summon Oracle: The Wildren can summon a tiny spirit that knows a kernel of information about the future, usually given in riddle form.
Telepathy: The Wildren can speak mind to mind. Untrained, they can hear others thoughts or send their own without receiving replies. Practice is required to become proficient at both.

Culture

Currently Owned Wildren

xenon

I'm hoping that it's okay to post? <3

Your Name: Xenon
Favorite 3 Colours: Blue, brown, gray
Favorite 3 Markings: Siamese, dorsal/ventral coloring, tabby cat

So exciting! If you're not ready just let me know, I will edit this.

YourLoveOnly

Your Name: YourLoveOnly
Favorite 3 Colours: pastel yellow, caramel brown, chocolate brown (in real life I love black, red and purple but I have most of my adoptables in natural or pastel shades)
Favorite 3 Markings: ocelot, spots-and-stripes, other interesting complicated-looking stuff xD

kasatsu

Your Name: Kasatsu
Favorite 3 Colours: Blue, Purple, Gray
Favorite 3 Markings: Tiger Stripes, Snake Patterning, Leopard Spots

Keilin Alyr

Draaay! *pokes* XD

I'll fill out the form in a bit, though I might PM you to see what direction you plan on taking these lovelies. =)

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

Echowing

Your Name: Echowing
Favorite 3 Colours: Dark green, Deep red, Deep purple
Favorite 3 Markings: tiger stripes, leopard spots, frog spots: http://rkmalar.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/9.jpg

Thanks =]

XLostxDestinyX

~~Fav Colour Raffle~~

Your Name: XLostxDestinyX
Favorite 3 Colours: Black, Bright Purple, Cyan
Favorite 3 Markings: Leopard, Rottweiler, Zebra

jojo

Your Name: Jojo
Favorite 3 Colours: white, gold, light blue
Favorite 3 Markings: siamese points (especially tortoiseshell points!), colors that fade into each other, and uh... I just thought of this, but I love how jindo dogs/shiba inus look.

Dray

Yep, it's fine to post! I'm at work on a break but I wanted to get some input on colours and markings so that I can start colouring once I get home.

Keilin: these guys will be your typical Nexus dragons, though I'll be using one template for the most part (the same as I have been with the Nidus Corona dragons!) unless I feel like drawing up some new versions. They'll be inter-breedable with other Nexus-dragons, and are characters in their own right like regular Nexus dragons. I'll be holding breedings here for JUST the Wildren... though I have yet to figure out stats and the like!

Ryuukokoro

Your Name: Ryuukokoro
Favorite 3 Colours: blue, purple, white
Favorite 3 Markings: leopard spots, tiger stripes, appaloosa spots

Goddesss

Your Name: Goddesss
Favorite 3 Colours: Pink, black, purple
Favorite 3 Markings:Sparkles Fade stripes

Dray

Thanks for all of the input, guys! So far, leopard spots and tiger stripes are in the lead by far, along with blue and purple. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me! XD Feel free to keep the forms coming if you haven't submitted one. I'm not sure about the certing process... usually I give my adoptables away without any certificate, but with some text info. Then people put them up on a webpage and either write stories for them and use 'em for breeding purpose later...

How does collecting adoptables on Secundi work? Do you guys have a place where your adopted creatures reside, or should I be keeping an open photobucket account that you can return to and look at them, or what? (I'm a stupid newbie right now, prease forgive me!)

Neocridders

Your name: Neocridders
Favorite 3 Colours: Yellow! Purple! Errr... with those two colors, hot pink. Alone... green?
Favorite 3 Markings: Tigers, owls, and umm... yeah. I like paint.

jojo

I'm pretty new myself, so I'm sure people could add to what I say, but it does seem that most agencies have a photobucket account/owners gallery that people can refer to. Some people use those photobucket links to post their adoptables in a collective thread in the Boarding section of the forum, or on their Secundi account display page. I save pictures and post them on my own website, but I think I'm the minority in that regard.

SeaCrest

Your Name: Seacrest
Favorite 3 Colours: Cyan, White, Sea Green
Favorite 3 Markings: Tiger or Zebra stripes, socks/stockings, cheetah

Dray

(Updated the first post with a basic example image! Still deciding about the certificate, seeing's how there's all that blank space on one side!)

For the scroll-phobic, here's a quick link: http://dray.pegaruny.com/Dragons/Secundi/Example.png

Keilin Alyr

Your Name: Keilin Alyr
Favorite 3 Colours: Gray, blue, and red (or white, gray, and blue)
Favorite 3 Markings: Points, multicolor fade, calico/tortoiseshell markings

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

sera

*FLAILSPASM*  HI, DRAY! x3  *throws Gryvern at these guys*  *coughs* >>;;;

The Form
Your Name: sera
Favorite 3 Colours: Black, Crimson red, Silver
Favorite 3 Markings: Brindle, cheetah markings (sorry! xD;), stripes (zebra or  tiger, further sorry)

Dray

Woot, thanks for the forms!

Two more days before this is closed, by the way, and probably the last freebies that will go out! (I've finished the tiger markings and am working on some leopard spots, though I'll eventually go through the whole list to give some super-variation. :D)

Once Thursday rolls around, I'll announce the winners and close the event. I'll try to have the resulting Wildren posted for pickup soon after that! Once that's done, I'll open up an auction for a breeding pair and a couple of singlets; rules for breeding along with more Wildren info will be posted as I chug along. (There is a bit of info up towards the top but it is still a work in progress. ^^;)

And, just so that this post isn't completely boring, have a teaser of my progress:

Keilin Alyr

Ooh, looks like someone's going to be extremely happy when pickups roll around. Lovely work as always, Dray. =)

sera

Kyyaaa. Teaser makes me twitchy with happiness. x3

Willow

Your Name: Willow
Favorite 3 Colours: White,Light Cream,Pale Cyanny Blue
Favorite 3 Markings: Leopard spots, Leg/Tail Barring, Henna

*stalks*
~Willow

springacres

Your Name: springacres
Favorite 3 Colours: (1st, 2nd and 3rd favs) Purple, gold, brown
Favorite 3 Markings: (Patterns like stripes or spots, or links to animals whose patterns you like!) Classic tabby, points, dun

Dray

This draw ends in a few minutes! (I set it up for 15:00 hours but don't get off work for another hour or so -- just a heads up for any last-minute requests!)

Ryuukokoro

*wiggles and waits to see the results!*

Dray

Using the power of Random.org, the four winners are:

Keilin Alyr, Seacrest, Springacres, and Kasatsu!

Your randoms will be coloured up and posted all together soon! Congrats!

Keilin Alyr

Oh my goodness, how exciting! *bounces happily* I don't think I have a dragon from you with that outline either, so that's a double bonus. =D

Also... this raffle brought to you today by the letters K, S, and the number 4! XD

Ryuukokoro

SeaCrest

springacres

Ooh, yay!  And congrats to the other winners as well!

Dray

Pickups are in the first post! Please let me know if you want the uncerted version, as I have both kinds!

There is some more information up as well, though a few sections are still WIP's.

Over the next little while I'll be putting up a few auctions, so keep an eye open! ^_^ Also feel free to ask questions if anything's confusing. I'm a bit new to adopting critters in this fashion so I may be making some mistakes or faux pas!

Keilin Alyr

Ooh, white and silvery-blue, just proving that she doesn't need to be fancy to be amazing. =D Also, healer/support win and smallish dragon that can become even smaller win. Dray knows what I love in a dragon. XD

Seriously, she is gorgeous. =)

And it's been a little while since I've said this, but I'll try and have her paged soon. Housing her in Corvus or Two Echoes doesn't seem right (and Pern has really stopped being inspiring as it is), and I've had Sanraph off my mind long enough that I'd need to find my notes again. I imagine she could find work in the same corner of Inandre that Jinane and company reside, that could be fun. =)

jojo

Wow gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! Congrats to the winners! :D

kasatsu

Eee! They are so beautiful! x3

After much debate I'm going to name my Urd

Congrats to the other winners!

Keilin Alyr

Didn't think I'd have chosen a name so quickly. I'd like to name my new girl Ziva. Ziva Emeri.

And no, not after the (albeit really awesome) character from NCIS. It's a Hebrew name meaning "radiant" and a Slavic name meaning "alive". It's also the name of a Slavic goddess of life, fertility, and spring. I figured both name origins work nicely. =)

Dray

Wonderful! Keilin and Kasatsu, I've updated your certs. Feel free to put them wherever you like -- I'd love if you could give me a link, as I'll be including those in the 'list of owners' some time soon.

SeaCrest

I'll name him Amphalos Lyva, please. He's pretty ^_^ But I have to say, usually I get pets in that color females...he's the first boy, besides Lyte :P

Yay for all the other pretties!

SeaCrest

I put up his non-certed image for now, until you get around to filling the cert. He's boarded here, but if you want, I can find my old website to put him up instead.

Dray

Thanks so much, Seacrest! I've re-uploaded the cert with the proper name and everything, sorry about the wait!

xenon

I really love these guys. @_@ The colors are just incredible, on a set of lovely lines. I'll be stalking hard and crossing my fingers. XD

Dray

I'm actually going to be running an auction for some basic Alephan pretty soon. The problem is that I don't have a lot of time to check up on the thread, and I don't want to leave an auction open where I can't keep a running total of who's bid what. There should be about nine up for auction, maybe ten? I maybe wind up having to host on this upcoming weekend in one big extravaganza, unless people don't mind short-notice evening events (evening being Mountain Standard Time!)

Lectral

Oooo, I will have to pay more attention to the forum this week - I completely missed these the last time >.>