News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Any Plant Guru's Around?

Started by Country, March 23, 2014, 02:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Country

My daughter's class planted some seeds a couple of weeks ago and the pots were sent home with the. Normally they send a note home saying something like Hey this is what we did in class this week and it would tell you what was going on...not the case this time. So we have a few sprouts coming up and I have absolutely no clue what they are. She keeps saying that they planted a flower and a vine and that the teacher sprinkled something in each pot....at first I was thinking some kind of fertilizer but now we have some little tiny green things growing that I am fairly is clover.

Anyway, I have taken a few pics and I am hoping that some one can help us identify them.

Saturnalia

Morning glory vine :) Once it starts getting taller, you'll need something for it to climb. They can eventually get pretty tall, and will climb on/strangle anything nearby.

They're my favorites :)

The teeny things are hard to ID at this point... could be clover, though.

Country

Bunraku

The teeny tiny things, I think, are some kind of flower :3 Clover usually doesn't sprout looking quite like that, those look very much like a few varities of flower I plant in my garden come spring. It could be clover, but the way the leaves are looks more like the beginnings of a flower to me.

ETA: They also hold a great resemblance to bean or alfalfa sprouts

Country

I will keep this updated with pics so we can figure it out lol

SPO

I am a plant killer. I cant even keep a cactus alive. So I have no idea lol.

Country

I usually am, but of course i havent really tried other than garden variety types, ie, squash, okra, corn, etc...so i am surprised that these lil things seem to be thriving

Saturnalia

Morning Glories are pretty easy (and considered noxious weeds by some). I just love their tenacity, and the variety of colors you can get. :) They're pretty easy to replant, too, so you'll probably want to put them somewhere with more space/on their own as they start to get bigger. (If the soil in their little pot is loose, you can probably tease and wiggle the MG seedlings out of the dirt pretty easily.)

Country

I will keep that in mind, I may get a larger pot and put some kind of trellis type thing and watch it go lol

ETA: Since we don't own the house we are living in right now and do plan to move in the next year or so I would like to be able to take it with us rather than plant it and have to leave it.

Saturnalia

Yes, I tend to keep morning glories in pots with trellises :) They also re-seed themselves sort of aggressively after flowering, so keeping them to pots can keep them from spreading too out-of-control sometimes. They are annuals, but I find that they might as well be perennials because of the way they reseed with little effort =)

Country

Oh yay lol, this should be interesting XD