News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

I just need to cry to someone...

Started by Neocridders, June 06, 2013, 05:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neocridders

Guys... I've been trying to get a summer job for the last four years. No one has hired me.

I've applied to almost FOURTY places just trying to get one stupid summer job.

I applied to Wendy's as a back up. Everyone gets hired to Wendy's. It's a first job that everyone does kind of thing.

Well, interview was yesterday. Called them today to find out they don't want me.
THEY DON'T WANT ME. AT WENDY'S?

Is this real life? Because I'm crying my eyes out. They hire EVERYONE at Wendy's!!

I feel like Wendy's jjust broke up with me.
Like 'It's not you. It's me' kind of thing. Only it is me. They don't want summer help. They want full time.

How is that ok? Descriminating against me because I'm college? SERIOUSLY?

I mean I get it. Whatever. I'm over reacting.
But this broke my heart. It's wendy's for goodness sake! EVERYONE GETS HIRED AT WENDY'S!!!

I feel so worthless. No one wants me. I feel like nothing matters.

This totally just... killed my insides. I feel ill now. Like punched in the gut. How could this happen to me? I'm an honors student.

Every year I try to get a job but I can't becase college kids always take all the jobs. This year I'm a college kid and I can't get a job because they don't want college kids.

ETA: I've been on interviews and applying for a month and a half. Summer is going to be over by the time I get a job. Just kidding I won't get a job.

I know I'm being over dramatic. I just need to cry a bit.

Ryuukokoro

That sucks, Neo. :( But you know you're right, it IS them, not you. This is a really extremely hard time to be unemployed. Yes our economy is picking up, but we just got out of what was basically a depression, or just a really bad recession, depending on who you talk to. Employers aren't snapping up just anyone, even the jobs that have a history of taking anyone. Getting good grades isn't enough anymore. Heck having a college degree is average and expected now, not the extra bonus it used to be even a few years ago.

And you know, I think your experience is about average. When I moved from my home state to Indiana, I moved there with a lot of money saved up, but no job at all, so I had to start canvasing the malls and nearby stores. I had no car, so I walked or took the bus everywhere, and just went up and down the nearby roads, taking an application from every store. I went through about 30 applications before I got a job. It took about a month of constantly filling out applications, almost every day.

My advice: think about places that specifically need to hire people for the summer, those are the ones that are going to be looking for college students. Amusement parks, outdoor areas like city parks that need landscapers or grass mowers, Dairy Queen (that's where I eventually got hired, they get CRAZY busy in summer but in the winter they get dead or shut down completely).

Heck, right now we're looking to hire an office assistant at my job, and my boss specifically told me NOT to call any resumes of people who just graduated from college. He wants people with experience, and thinks people who just got out of college will bounce from job to job and won't settle in one place for long. So even a college degree isn't good enough for this basic office position. o_0

Keep trying! Hopefully the summer won't be over before you find something.

Wildfilly94

Ohh god girl I felt wvery word. Your not alone, im right therewith you. I got a job at somic in '10 an worked for 9 months before my ride quit and my high school schedule conflicted with work. So I quit and this year Ive tried every place I can think.of, thinking.otd be easier with having experience and NO ONE wants me. its like I have a disease thats invisible to me but all employers see on the paper. I even tried mc donalds and gpt an interview, but because when I went to sit down an I looked up for a second, they thoyght i rolled my eyes and refused to hire me. Then I was pretty muvh guarunteed a job at a xleaning place an was told to email the owner and never got an email back. Then I was guarunteed a job when I turned 18 last year cause the owner was a family friend of this grocery store and they ignlred me too.  I feel you 110%. It SUCKS so bad being in vollege, needing that money bit feeling like everyone hates you and wont hire you. Everywhere NOT in walking disyance is hiring, but I have no ride so Im screwed.  *Hugs* Im sorry to hear your having such a hard time too. :( I hope someone takes you soon enough.

Wildfilly94

Not to mention I thought having a flexible schedule now and being able to work full or part time were attributes places love. apparently not. :/

Neocridders

It's ridiculous. A few years ago I was too young to get a job anywhere. And now I'm 18 and I'm too young to serve alcohol so anywhere that is a restaurant is out of the question. Fast food is my only option. Too bad I have no experience since no one will hire me. Ever. I've been applying like crazy since I was 15. This is so stupid. I'm just so upset right now. My eyes are so red. I've been crying all day.

My father has been unemployed for years. But he teases me since I don't have a job. Ij ust wanted a job to stop this stupid teasing. And I thought that was it. But no.
I'm stuck sitting aroun all day trapped in the terrible house with that man that teases me over everything.

I can't handle another summer like this.

Pega

When I needed a summer job, I worked at a camp. They ONLY work during the summer, and it was good fun being outside and working with kids and horses--- but it def. isn't for everyone. Also, they tend to have a pretty high turnover rate, so...they may even be hiring right now. The other job I had one summer was my during-the-school-year-part time job. I worked part time during school at the College library, and then during the summer they let me work almost full-time because most of the college students went home for the summer.

But yeah, it does suck. :/ I'm sorry.

Winged

I can understand your problem, it's so difficult to get a job anywhere! I don't know what Wendys is, but it doesn't sound like it's your fault at all that you didn't get the job. There's even less than usual part time or summer work going at the moment, most places want full time work.

Have you thought about getting some work experience? If you're free anyway, it's a good way to get experience which makes it easier to get a job. For example, work at a community cafe or something, which then allows you to say that you've got experience waiting tables and that sort of thing and allows you to give referances.
Owner of Gliders!

Neocridders

Wendy's is the kind of job you get to get work experience. No one else is going to hire since they don't want people without experience. Wendy's is basically like McDonalds but not as worldwide. It's a staple first job that everyone gets, like mcdonald's.

Winged

I meant non-paid work experience really. Like in some sort of charity or small business that takes students on to get experience related to their course.
Must be different here, the people working at mcdonalds are usually older people without jobs, not students or young people. Try hotels? My friend's first job was cleaning in a hotel, she had that for a couple years.
Owner of Gliders!

Pega

That's true-- volunteering hours at the elementary schools nearby helped me have a bit of an edge getting into teaching. :)

springacres

Try retail, too.  My first real job was as a fitting room attendant for Marshall's.

In the meantime, volunteer work and a history of doing jobs for neighbors will also help.  Offer your services around your neighborhood with whatever you feel comfortable doing - pet care, yardwork, babysitting... ANYthing that will help you with your references on your resume.  Best of luck with your job search.  I got laid off at the end of April myself so I know kinda what you're going through.

Silvanon

*hugs Neo*  I know the last time I was job hunting, it took me nearly 6 months to finally find a job, and I was willing to take pretty much anything.  Job hunting is horrible, it just is.

As for helpful suggestions, my husband had a lot of good luck during college summer breaks working for temp agencies - the work you get through them is temporary by definition, but with only a summer break, that's more or less what you're looking for anyway.  And, if it works out, it would give you some work experience to put on the resume for next time around.

Neocridders

AND TO TOP THIS ALL OFF.
My ex that proposed kinda and then broke up with me... just got into a relationship.
Why does he get to have good things and not me?
Sorry. I'm irrational right now.

red_uni387

*squishes* Life's like a giant roller coaster. It may not be the best right now, but it'll get better. Just keep pushing through, Neo <3