News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

NaNoWriMo

Started by Riverwind, September 21, 2013, 11:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riverwind

So...just the other day, Rosewood told me about a writing contest thingy called NaNoWriMo, and I decided to check it out because I love to write. ^.^ Is anyone else on Secundi participating in this?

If you are, add me! My username is FullMoonWolf.

And for those of you who aren't participating because you haven't heard of it or something, check it out! http://nanowrimo.org/

And for anyone who's curious, here's the book I'm writing: The Life of a Great Dog: Clover's Story

And the synopsis: Clover was born in an animal shelter in North Carolina. Having always been surrounded by nothing but other dogs, she was confused when she came across a black Maine Coon named Storm, who had been born on the streets. Storm told Clover about life outside of the shelter, and Clover was horrified. This is a story of how Clover went on an adventure and overcame any animal's worst nightmares--animal abuse.

Ryuukokoro

Yay, another fan! We love NaNo on Secundi! ^__^ Every year as November gets started a thread or two pops up. I've been doing this yearly nation-wide event for more than half a decade, though I don't always get around to doing the full 50k each time. Can't believe it's almost that time of year again. <3

I'll be sure to add you, Riverwind! I'm ryuukokoro on there, feel free to add me as well! (In fact my word counter is still in my Secundi sig from last Nov whoops >.> I should remedy that.)

Ravvana

This will be my first year! :) You need to all keep me on track XD I get to write a novel as my senior thesis project, and NaNo seemed a good place to start! Out of interest, what is a good daily word count to shoot for?

Ryuukokoro

If you do 1.7k (1,700 words) each day you'll just squeeze in under the wire on Nov. 30th. ^_^ Usually I shoot for 1k-2k each day, and use the weekends to catch up when I fall behind on the weekdays (working 40+ hours a week makes it very hard to accomplish NaNo goals! -_- ). It's usually about three and a half pages a day if you have normal size font!

Riverwind

Updated first post with a link to the book. ^.^

BabyKittenCandy

Ive often thought of trying this but i dont think i could eek out that many words...

YourLoveOnly

I have done NaNo for many years and absolutely love it. However, this year I have no computer of my own so am restricted to the library AND I am volunteering at the local shelter 4 days a week. Combined with taking care of my own pets, my health issues and my household as well as giving some attention to friends & family there really aren't enough hours in a day as it is XD So I'm really not sure if I'm able to participate this year, but I really want to..

Ryuukokoro

For those who don't think they can make the 50k goal this year, don't cut yourselves out of the event! ^_^ You could always choose a more reasonable goal for yourself and try for that one, like 25k or whatever you think would be doable in the time allotted. The NaNo website even allows you to alter their widget codes so you can change your goal to what you want and still chart your progress with the little counter, like the one in my sig!

Ryuukokoro

Hee hee, just noticed today the wigit in my sig reset itself. XD Almost NaNo time!

SkySong

I'm tempted to do NaNo this year, but my time to myself is very erratic. I think I have an idea, though, which will be fun to write out at least.
Adoptable threads: None currently ~ Trading thread: N/A ~ Breeding thread

LC Custom Status: Closed
LC Breeding Status: Closed

Ravvana

I just signed up on the website :)

DawnStar7

Eeeeeeeee!!!  NaNonanonanonano!  *spazzes ecstatically*  I love NaNo, but, typical of my absentmindedness, decided to participate just a couple of days ago.  Usually, I know if I'm going to do the craziness a month or two in advance.  <.< 

One major problem with this?  I like to plan!  I develop a plot, a general timeline, backstory, world development, develop characters, etc.  This year, I just don't have time for all of that, especially since I always write long hand.  The result?  I'm going to (minimally) flesh out a couple of major characters, and just...write.  That's right, this year I'm pantsing, and I. Am. TERRIFIED!   :o

So!  If you w any to tag along with me on this crazy journey I'm about to undertake, add me.  DawnStar7, same as here. 

Saturnalia

I've done it for the past four years and completed, but haven't actually finished any of those books. So, this time around, I'm going to be using the month to get parts of one re-written and finally FINISHED! Whee.

Not sure if I'll end up tracking that on my account there or not, but my name is etaven if anyone wants to friend me.

Riverwind

:D Tomorrow is the first day of NaNo!! *dances around excitedly*

Ravvana

I survived my first day! :) Squeaked by my daily goal with 1,685 words. (Technically, 15 minutes after "today" ended, but...)

Rosewood

Go Ravv!! I hadn't had the chance to star yet due to a certain computer hog, but will make up for lost time today hopefully.

Bunraku

I'm having trouble finding where you're supposed to submit your word count ^^; It seems NaNo has changed a bit since my last participation

Riverwind

@Bun: It's at the very top to the right of your username. and NaNo mail. It's a button that says "Update Word Count" :)

I'm off to a bit of a slow start, but I think I'm doing better than I could have been doing...it could be a lot worse than this XD

ETA: Yay! I finally got ahead instead of behind! :D I now have 3401 words so far. ^.^ *dances around happily* But I'm exhausted now so I think I'll go catch some sleep. Lol when I wake up it'll be time to work on it again. And hopefully school Monday won't make me get behind again...for this reason I can't wait for Thanksgiving break!

Bunraku

Ahahaah thank you XD *should have seen that* >>;; Now I shall try to catch up to my word count *pokes word count*

Rosedawn

I love NaNo and used to involve myself yearly, but since I graduated college just haven't had the time. Working 13 hour days is not condusive to my brain functioning so I shall wihs all of you lovely people luck on your journey. And remember, this is a ROUGH draft. It's quantity, not quality.

Ravvana

I put a widget in my signature! I'm actually ahead of my daily goal now :) Now, I just need to do the things actually due tomorrow... XD

Ryuukokoro

*panting, exhausted* I'm way behind but working on catching up! Good luck to everyone who is hard at work!

Ryuukokoro

So how is everyone doing? I've just reached halfway, what a rush to know I'm still hanging on! :D If I can do 5k each day for the next 5 days, I'll finish on time!

Don't give up everyone! Try to push. It's painful but keep going! Feel the burn! XD *pretending to be a personal coach haha*

Ravvana

I just cracked 80%! I fell behind briefly when midterms got crazy, but I've caught myself back up :)

Ryuukokoro

Congrats Rav!! :D That's totally awesome!! Especially while doing midterms at the same time, whoa!  :o

Ravvana

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! ;D I am now the proud mama of a 50k word novel.

It probably needs 10k or so more words to actually be done, and then I need to go through and expand a few scenes now that I know better where I'm going... But at least some of the time pressure is off now :)