News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

What can I do?! :(

Started by Riverwind, December 23, 2013, 06:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riverwind

I got so many compliments about my fish when I had join.me opened the other day. So I figured they would maybe do okay as an adopt on Secundi. I couldn't get the scales to look right, and so I started them in Generals, without visible scales. I honestly thought it was better like that because then the markings on the body were made more visible. But, it looks like I was wrong about what you all thought, or something...

I really don't know what to do to make them better than they are. And I don't know what to do to spark interest. I can't know that if no one gives me honest input. So please, please, please tell me: what is wrong with them? (examples below so you guys don't have to rin to Generals to see)

Is it the shading or highlights? The facts that I didn't give them visible scales? I am fairly certain you guys like fish adopts and we don't have as many of them on Secundi as we have horse based adopts. So what can I do to make them worth something to you?

TheLeet

I don't really collect adoptables as avidly as others here so I'm probably not the best person to comment but I don't want your efforts to be met with a wall of silence.

Here's what's wrong with them from my point of view:
You obviously went for a realistic kind of look and I don't think it works. If you're going for realistic, they'd need to be a lot more detailed and just generally of a better quality. I don't think you're a good enough artist yet to make that look work. (and there's no shame in that, I wouldn't fancy drawing realistic fish either)
I think if you went for a cuter, more cartooney style, they might be more popular.

Silvanon

Awe, sorry Riverwind.  I was going to participate in your event but I got busy yesterday and in the end I forgot before I went to bed.  I actually remembered as I was falling asleep, but I was too tired to get up again to post.

As for what to do better:  First off, the wiggly lines on the fins make them too busy.  The lines in the fins need to be straighter, fewer, and lighter.  Second, resize them down quite a bit; their current size is not justified by the animal's real life size or by the type of coloring you're doing with them.  That'll also help with the line thickness.  Like so:

And suddenly just by resizing they're much more collectible.  ;)

TheLeet

Oh yes, resizing definitely helps. :)

Wildfilly94

I agree, resizing and changing the fin Details.
Without scales and a more realistic touch, I really don't think the lines on the fins look good at all. They justs don't look right. If there's no scales, you don't really need the detailed lines on the fins.

These are the two big reasons I wasn't interested

Riverwind

Thank you for your input, guys. <3 I'll work on fixing them up some after I get the Masayo thread finished, since I'm sooo close to being done. XD

I wasn't really sure if I was trying to make them look realistic, I hadn't put much thought into that part, because normally when I think too much about it it ruins my perspective. I do agree that resizing them makes them look much better.

Thanks again! ^.^

skysnolimit

Quote from: Silvanon on December 23, 2013, 09:19:05 AM

Just going to add in a few more things before bed!
1. Lack of continuity: why didn't the fins and head get any of the body color--or any color at all, in fact?
2. Anatomy: The fish with the orange on him has no anal fin; I don't want to adopt a fish with no anal fin :o
3. Context: Are these fish a male and a female of the same species or not?  I like to adopt in pairs of the same species.

Keep going, River!  :)  You can do it!

Riverwind

Lol skys these were just two examples. They can be colored lots of different ways. Also, male swordtails do not have anal fins, therefore, I did not draw an anal fin for the male. ;)

skysnolimit

Kk, answered my own question for #3 by checking general forums-- both swordtails :)

Could you maybe give him a gonopodium?  I think that would complete the image for me.  Your choice though, of course :)

Riverwind

Lol I can try but I don't have an art tablet and I don't remember where I stored the sketches so I'd have to either redraw the entire thing or try and get it to look right with the mouse.

Wildfilly94

Quote2. Anatomy: The fish with the orange on him has no anal fin; I don't want to adopt a fish with no anal fin :o

This just made my entire day. XD I love you skys!!

skysnolimit

Hehehehehe >.>;  I was geeking.  Thanks, Wild <3

Riverwind

Okay so... with them resized the way Silv resized them, do I still need to change/remove the lines on the fins?

Wildfilly94

I'd say try and see waht it looks like. /I/ think it would be better to remove the lines, but can't say for sure til I see it. :P Save a copy of the fish with the lines though in case they looked better with the lines

Riverwind

Here is what they look like without the fin lines.

Male:

Female:

Wildfilly94

I personally like them without lines best. ^^ This way the patterns/colors can be painted on the fins too and it will just look awesome. :3 But well have to get more opinions first since obviously one person cant speak for everyone :P

Riverwind

SweetCaroline

I think they are better without the lines on the fins.
~SC~

Riverwind

Okay one more shot! XD Silv told me how I could make the fins look better but not be quite so busy (my wording not hers lol) and I gave it a shot but...what do you lovely folks think of it? If enough people like them this way, then I will just leave it like it is. Anyway...here's what I did:

Male:

Female:

Ember

Ohh, that is much better now! I like them like that. :O

Riverwind

^.^ I'm trying to keep myself from coloring a bunch more even though I want to sooo bad. I don't want to color some and then have to go back later and change each and every one of them o.o

Thank you all for your support and suggestions! <3

SweetCaroline

That looks much better River. I'm glad Silv could help you.
~SC~

Riverwind

Lol I might just end up using this latest version. o.o I am in the mood to color and after the Christmas thread, I really don't feel like coloring Masayo right now XD

Feel free to still post your thoughts and opinions, though! ^.^

Wildfilly94

I like it, but is it set to where you can color over it with the lines still faintly visible? Like normal shading, I guess is what Im trying to say XD

Riverwind

Lol yes, it's basically like extra shading ;)

ETA: And...I finally gave in to the urge to color them...here's a join.me link if anyone's awake to watch! https://secure.join.me/395-191-850

Wildfilly94

Weird.. It wont let me type or even view the message bar. >.>

Wildfilly94

Aaaannd it froze on me. >.> Sorry, I was interested to watch! I hope you dont think I was ignoring you. XD Silly join.mes hate me

Riverwind

Aww that's okay Wild. I figured when you didn't answer you were probably having some sort of problem with Join.Me. I should probably go to bed soon, anyway...Lol in fact I think I'll go ahead and do that lol I don't wanna mess them up or anything.

Tomorrow I will try and get my thread edited appropriately and unlocked. In the meantime, I should stop rambling. o.o *slinks sleepily to her own chambers to get sleep*

Kadana Sorano

Quote from: Riverwind on January 04, 2014, 11:55:47 PM
Okay one more shot! XD Silv told me how I could make the fins look better but not be quite so busy (my wording not hers lol) and I gave it a shot but...what do you lovely folks think of it? If enough people like them this way, then I will just leave it like it is. Anyway...here's what I did:

Male:

Female:

I didn't like the fins plain at all, but I do think this way looks better then the first.  Much less like fins made of fur :)
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Riverwind

Thanks, sis. :)

*looks left and right, checking to see who's around* https://secure.join.me/383-832-861

ETA: Had to reload Join.Me....new link: https://secure.join.me/244-638-362