News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Observations From MAGfest

Started by Saturnalia, January 03, 2014, 11:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saturnalia

As I am alone at our booth with a smartphone and not a ton to do, I figured I would make some observations about the gaming convention I'm at! Eventully I'll get some photos up. But now... random observations & stuff!

Less LoL cosplays than PAX. Sightings include: Garen, Lux, Jarvan x2, Jinx x3, Nidalee x 2, Regifted Amumu

More Sonic love than PAX. I am in Knuckles gear, and ended up on the escalator behind a Knuckles with a Sonic going the other way. Robotnik sighting yesterday.

Friendly booth neighbors are the best.

Urizen is the most ridiculous band I have ever seen live. The show involved a giant eyeball monster.

Zelda speed run in 50 minutes: crazy.

My Little Ponies & Dr Who have infiltrated everything.

Knuckles dreads partially block expo hall echos! Yay!

Furry count: 5?

Razor scooters are apparently the favored way to get around the con.
Razor wipeouts witnessed: 1

Late night at the con can be an interesting time. A drunk guy tried to set me up with a total stranger, got some compliments on my hair, and got a lot of high-fives.

Baja Fresh is the other way from the hotel. And mobbed, but cheaper than this food...

More to come as the con progresses!

Ryuukokoro

Heeey I didn't know you go to MAGfest!! I usually go there every year! (I'm not really into video games much...my friend from Pennsylvania drags me along to keep her company.) We didn't go this year because of money reasons--that hotel is really expensive! >.< Although it's almost worth it to talk around the indoor garden with every tree all lit up with Christmas lights...

MAGfest is known as the con where all the cast from ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com go to do their panels. It's like 'their' con. Do you know them? I love that website and all those reviewers, they're so great!! Meeting Phelous was my favorite part of the first year I went. XD And I played Mario Kart in the gamers room with Welshy!

Saturnalia

This is actually my first year going! My friends were here last year though, to playtest our game, Lightweight rpg, and we're selling it this year :) i'm not familiar with the guys you mentioned, alas!

Have you caught any concerts when you've gone? I adore the Protomen & was bummed they were'nt playing this year, but at least one of them is here to hang out :) if you haven't seen them and ever get the chance, they are a ton of fun!

Currently playing "do we know who that cosplay is?" With the artist from the booth next door :D

Ryuukokoro

Haha no I'm not a fan of music in general, I've never been to a concert of any kind before. I know it's a popular thing to do at cons though! That and raves...

You should totally check out TGWTG, it's a hilarious site. They are people, geeks, just like you and me who make video review series on all sorts of different things. There are people who review tv shows, review movies, video games, comic books, etc. It's my fave site besides Secundi!

Saturnalia

Aw. I love concerts, though never really seen any raves at cons. I guess that the chiptuney show I wandered into last night had a handful of ravers, though :)

And I will check out that sight when I am home! It sounds fun :D

Hmm... and I'll just keep editing the first post with my observations. I'm sort of having fun with them, and it will help me remember stuff later, whee!

Saturnalia

Photo timmmme!

This place is gorgeous!

Our booth! And our awesome neighbors!

Ridiculous Urizen show

Double Knuckles! I'm the one on the right.

View from the expo hall near the booth

Yay recycling!

Regifted Amumu... I wanted to hug him

Jarvooooo

Locke... who I got to wander around with for a bit and who was awesome

And now, I guess I should shower and try to revive myself since I went to bed at 3am and am awake way too early for that, haha ;)

Saturnalia

Ooookay. A few more photos, and then the final summary...

Urizen robot, and garbage heap of doom in front of our booth, which I eventually had to get someone to take away.

The Spine cosplay! She seemed pretty happy that I recognized who she was.

National Harbor is lovely!

Andddd finally, a crummy webcam shot of me after getting home.

wow
such tired
so fun

Anyway, the final summary was that it was fantastic, I enjoyed it as much as PAX East if for different reasons, and can't wait for next year. I also made a few new friends, and we nearly sold out of our books (we basically did) and next year I'll probably have my own booth with friend(s) for geeky crafty stuff.

Whee!

I should sleep soon.