Boskone, anyone? Join me for the biggest sci fi/fantasy lit. con in Boston!

Started by Ryuukokoro, January 19, 2014, 11:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryuukokoro

I usually don't post my con plans here on Secundi, but when Saturnalia posted about Magfest I realized I might have some friends here that go to the same cons I do! :D

Boskone, for those who haven't heard of it, is a science fiction and fantasy literature convention held in Boston every year in February. In fact, last year was the 50th time the convention was held, and they had George RR Martin there for book signing!  :o The con is super fun and it's great for people who want to see some of their favorite sci fi and fantasy authors get together and have fun together. Script writers for sci fi and fantasy movies and tv shows attend as well, and awesome artists who do cover art for various novels and movie posters!

The con is both for readers and writers, and if you're a writer there's a lot of networking you can do there. Lots of reps from publishing houses show up, and you might be able to strike up a conversation with someone interested in reading your manuscript. :D

There's also tons of fun panels you can attend that will help you be a better writer. My favorites are panels with suggestions for newbie writers, panels about how every tv show and movie get certain illnesses and injuries wrong, and how to write a realistic fight scene with swords (or lightsabers! haha!). Usually guest speakers bring manuscripts they are currently working on, so you might get to hear them read from a book before it's published. :)

The convention is February 14-16 and I already have a room reserved at the hotel, so anyone who is interested in coming would be welcome to stay with me and split the cost of the hotel fee. The convention is right downstairs so we don't have to walk anywhere once we get to the hotel. And there's a room full of free food, the Con Suite, that's open for the entire length of the convention!  8)

More information: http://www.nesfa.org/boskone/

Saturnalia

That sounds like a blast! Alas, I'm going up to PAX East in Boston in April, and can't stretch funds any more than that (as it is, my ticket is a birthday gift...)

But I hope you have a ton of fun! You'll have to post about how it goes :D And Boston is fun to explore, too!

Ryuukokoro

Hi from Boskone everyone! Thankfully my hotel room has wifi so I could accept all last minute Quin breedings.  ;D

Saturnalia

I hope you have a total blast! Yay!

Can't wait to be up there myself in April. wheee!