News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

College books

Started by Tarakona Ormr, January 23, 2014, 10:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarakona Ormr

...Can i just say wow? Like okay so most of the books i am after i have found fortunatly for like 10-20 bucks. okay so great, (this is for a online course) then one book I am looking for I can not find it for less then 300 bucks. Amazon, barnes and noble, all those places have it from about maybe 290-800 bucks. Then wouldn't you know it. Go to booksamillion website... 12 bucks....

Good thing i have not bought any books yet but dang!
Sunchaser posts in Teal
SPO posts in Navy

Ryuukokoro

Best sites to find cheap used textbooks: half.com and ebay.com (half.com is owned by ebay and was specifically started for people selling used textbooks, though nowadays it's just all used books)

Sunchaser

Yeah i went there and it was still 300 odd bucks that's why when i looked at booksamillion i was like.... really? well i know where im shopping lol

I am very fortunate that my books are so cheap but it amuses me in the difference in prices :)

SPO

I paid $300 for my zoology book.

That was a bit of sticker shock.

Ryuukokoro

o.o I can't imagine how BAM got it for so cheap! I know they buy used books and have their own spin-off company that is a chain of used bookstores, so maybe there's a connection there. Congrats on finding it so cheap though!

Sunchaser

lol i even contacted the publisher and they are selling it for 14 so im like... are these people stupid to sell it used for that much?>>

Ryuukokoro

Ooo good thinking! Not a lot of people think about contacting the publisher to buy. It's all about supply and demand! If one or two people are listing it for a certain price online, that's what the other places will list it as if they think people will pay it.

SPO

I will need to check out that BAM site...

Sunchaser

yeah it seems to not be a common book but if people are really spending that much money they must not be hunting like i was lol. But hopefully i can find some of my other books for a little cheaper just cause my scholorship wont cover book cost but im more then willing to pay 30-50 for a book or two then 400 for each book

and those that have to spend that much i am so sorry o.o

Ryuukokoro

Quote from: SPO on January 24, 2014, 10:48:53 AM
I will need to check out that BAM site...

Yeah Books-a-Million (aka BAM) is now the second biggest nation-wide bookstore in the USA since Borders closed a couple years ago. BAM bought all the empty stores in my state (probably others too!) that Borders left behind so now we have a bunch of BAM stores in my area instead of Borders. But I miss Borders. :( BAM is pretty good but I liked Borders better back when they were around. Ah memories...

Goddesss

I love how my college does a lot of their books (so not true). Instructors write their own books. They change them every year. You cant find them used anywhere. You cant sell them back because they only use them one year. Most of them cost of $100 and it isnt even an actual binded book. Its pages hole punched and shrink wrapped. So then I get to go buy a binder to put them in.

I do have quite a few actual textbooks that they arent buying back that someone else may need.

SPO

One teacher did that once here. That was such a huge explosion of rage over it it never happened again. Someone took their textbook and taped it up all over the classroom, the office, and put a dollar sign on each page.

The teacher got it afterwards and decided oh hey...I am stupid for doing this.

hiyoko

I use to rent my text book. I would go to google and type compare rent textbooks that way you can compare books for sale or rent from tons of sites at once.

Wildfilly94

;-; My books are usually 200-400 Each. And most of the time, I dont get to rent, have to buy (But if I dont write in it or anything, they buy it back from me for about half the price I paid). I would DIE if I could spend just $40 on a book. D: