News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

I hate being in charge.

Started by SPO, January 25, 2014, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPO

OKAY! So I am president of this group called National Society of Leadership and Success on campus.

I hate it. I hate it so much I want to rip my hair out every meeting.

I have an exec board of about 13 people. We have a retreat today in a little over an hour. It has been on the agenda since NOVEMBER. We picked the date AS A GROUP. It is required that we all attend this retreat to get credit for it or else we have to do it again. Which is dumb. So of course, three people say they can't be here.

One had a family member pass away. That is fine. We got that excused by the main society people. One had to work. WORK CAN BE RESCHEDULED. I told her that is not excused, she threatened to resign. I talked to our group advisor who was like not worth the fight, just let her miss. Now another one texts me an hour and a half before the event despite the multiple emails I have sent out this week about it and says she can't go cause of an even on campus called Ag-Arama. Basically we show livestock and its a big to-do. I say that is not excused, this has been scheduled, blah blah blah. So what does she do? THREATENS TO RESIGN AND POINTS OUT MY INABILTIY TO SCHEDULE EVENTS.

Um...hello???? We all scheduled this together. She can pitch a fit all she wants but she missed that meeting. Not my fault. It was in the meeting minutes I am sure she didn't read. So now I have to bother the club advisor on a saturday when she is at her kids basketball game to deal with this.

We are in college. These people were elected and said they wanted to position. ACT LIKE IT.

Midnight Phantom

Ouch >.o when talking to advisor just point our they are using their ability to resign as a threat to try and control you into doing what they want (even if that seemed obvious..sorry just good to sometimes point it out to them...show them you know what they are doing XD )

Also ask if you can take them up on their threat to resign... If the advisor says you can and the retreat can work with 10 people (not counting the person who family member passed away, valid excuse x.x)

Work and a fair that had probably been announced weeks before is really not a good excuse. If they do it this time...they will do it again..and they obviously don't care enough to schedule around it or even work with you to find a better date if they couldn't. >.> ((yes...assumptions only from what you wrote, but good luck x.x)

SPO

I know they are just trying to get their way but it sucks. Why take the job if it isn't a priority??

PonyMama

I don't know maybe let them know that the "I will resign" will no longer be used, because if they want to you will consider that their resignation and will find someone more willing to do the job, someone who will make the appointments agreed upon by everyone.  Sometimes either calling their bluff or turning it around on them shows them that you won't be pushed over.  But at the same time you have to follow through.

Yes I know there is an advisor, but if they want to "resign" then that should be well within your power to allow them to do so

Midnight Phantom

Other than it looks really good on resumes >.> lol

But yes, show them their bluff and actually consider it in the next meeting..see what you can so with their threats. It will show them you can actually do something, and not to throw it out there just to get their way.

SPO

We are having a heart to heart before the retreat today. I'm done with this crap. You are both right. I have just tried all this before and they went behind my back to get me impeached cause they thought I was being too mean and harsh. They failed of course. But when I ask for advice and if I am doign a good job you can hear crickets. I tell them to let the advisors know or submit an anonymous note to an advisor with advice and still, nothing.

PonyMama

as long as there are rules that everyone knows, and you aren't name calling, you are good.  Someone has to enforce rules and they are always considered the bad guy

(I am a mom, I am the bad guy)

stay strong, and maybe when things go without incident treat them, maybe coffee for all, or donuts, just something,to thank those who are starting to work together.  But yes bad apples, got to go

Midnight Phantom

I am with what Pm said...it is surprising how many people warm up when someone else brings food.

But yes....those two agreed with everyone else and had plenty of warning to reschedule things or come to you.>.< and if the others don't care enough to even put an anonymous messeage on what was bothering them about how things are being run....technically they aren't bothered -.- (even if they are...you can't read their minds XD least they can do is tell you)

SPO

I wonder if these idiots realize that when a boss calls for a job reference based on them having NSLS on their resumes, they call me. I am listed as president on the school website. I get the call.

Hmm...I wonder what I will say.....