News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Quinsta Coat color breeding help

Started by Wildfilly94, July 22, 2011, 11:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfilly94

I've always figures for example, breeding blck with white gives Grey. Bay with grey would be chestnut, r chestnut and yellow = buckskin. So abscially, breeding dark with light gives an inbetween.
SO my question is, if I breed a Bay x Grey(Looks white to me >.>) , would I get a Chestnut??? Or waht would be the outcome of that?

JellyThunda

http://www.deviantart.com/download/207846727/horse_coat_colors_1_by_silvanonoftheorchard-d3fqvk7.jpg
http://www.deviantart.com/download/207850777/horse_coat_colors_2___dun_by_silvanonoftheorchard-d3fqyop.jpg

Those are the gene guides that Silvanon made for the Quinsta; I'm not that great with genes either, so I can't help you directly but maybe you'll be able to learn something from these.
Edit: "grey" isn't included in those guides, unfortunately. So maybe someone else knows more about the grey gene and they'll post an answer to your question.

Ravvana

Ravvana

The "inbetween" theory isn't correct; that would be much too simple! XD Check out my above guide, and ask if anything doesn't make sense.

For the specific question of bay x grey:

A bay horse has a base of EE or Ee (whereas chestnut is ee) and an agouti of AA, AAt, or Aa (bay being dominant over brown and black). Since it is not grey, its grey gene is gg.

A grey horse definitely has dominant grey, so GG or Gg. Other than that, you know nothing of what is hiding under its grey coat. Grey is a masking coat, like white; it covers up the horse's "true" color. So it could be a chestnut horse covered by grey, a buckskin covered by grey, etc. You don't know unless it is second generation (parents will give info) or already has foals (foals will give info, too).

So when you cross a bay x grey, you have a 50-100% chance of a grey foal (since grey is dominant and only requires one big "G" to show; the grey parent will definitely produce a grey foal if s/he is GG and has a 50/50 chance of producing a grey goal is s/he is Gg). If grey doesn't show, you don't really know what the foal will look like, since it depends heavily on what is under the grey coat of the parent. Bay/black/brown is more likely than chestnut, since the bay parent has a 50-100% chance of passing on a black (vs red) base due to being either EE or Ee.

Keilin Alyr

White has no direct relation to gray, seeing as a white horse may or may not hide gray under their white coat, regardless of who you breed them to. I don't think I've received a gray foal from my Ruth, for instance. I bred her with a solid black stud and received a blue dun appaloosa foal at one point. =)

All horses, even the really complex ones, have a basic coloration: bay, brown, or black. Some Quinsta have special traits on top of said color, and you can think of them in terms of their base color with a trait: sooty buckskin (brown with cream) or yellow dun (bay with dun) or silver dapple black roan (black with roan and silver dapples).

White, gray, and to a limited extent chestnut are (for lack of a better way of phrasing it) masking colors. Their coats hide their base coloration and some genes.

White masks all genes, so you can never quite be sure what genes your Quin possesses underneath their coat until you breed them, and they can hide all sorts of fun surprises. I know my Ruth hides dun and some form of appaloosa under her coat. Possibly more.

Gray originally hid all genes except for paint (tobiano, overo, appaloosa) though I'm beginning to see gray roans, so roan might be exempt now. Consider gray a limited mask: you don't know what base coloration (bay, brown, black) the Quin is. You also don't know if the Quin shows any non-paint genes.

Of course, you do know your gray Quin does not show white. Otherwise they would have a white coat, not gray. =)

Chestnut hides just the base coloration and the silver dapple gene if the Quin shows it. I've learned from breeding my chestnuts that Persephone is bay underneath her red coat and also hides silver dapples, while Frederick has a brown gene.

Also, chestnut does allow others traits to show, like palomino is chestnut with cream and red dun is chestnut with dun.

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

Daimas

I have to agree with ravv and kei.. to an extent that chestnut it a base color not a masking color.

grey is a tricky gene to know what you will get out of it. Like ravv said GG means its going to pass on grey 100% and Gg means theres a 50 50 chance.

White masks all, and since white is the color of the paint and appy areas you would not know if your white has paint or appy, Grey just covers up the three base coat colors of Chestnut(red), Bay(chestnut with agouti gene) and black.
Quote from: Wildfilly94 on July 22, 2011, 11:06:43 AM
I've always figures for example, breeding blck with white gives Grey. Bay with grey would be chestnut, r chestnut and yellow = buckskin. So abscially, breeding dark with light gives an inbetween.
Go to this link for more genetic help

http://morgancolors.com/

Keilin Alyr

True enough on chestnut not being a true mask. I was going more for the visual than for technical terms and explaining black base/red base, since I find they almost always confuse more than they help. Might just be the clumsy way I explain genetics though, I ought to let those who explain it better handle the questions. XD

I think a newbie to the genetics of the Quinsta or the Stable would be better off sticking with just the Stable guide though. There are a few genes that have been streamlined (most of the paint genes, for instance) or removed altogether for simplicity's sake. It might confuse a newbie to compare the differences.

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

Ryuukokoro

It always helps me to think of a horse as the base coat first: all horses are either "black" or "red" (red means chestnut). Everything on top of that is a modifier. Brown/bay are modifiers of black. Palomino is a cream modifier of chestnut. Etc. etc.

Once I do the first step, figure out the base color, it's easier for me to figure out all the rest. :) Sometimes you can't though. Like with gray or white, they cover over the entire horse so you can't see what base color is underneath.

Wildfilly94

Ohh wow. Lol. alot more complex than I thought. XD

Wildfilly94

Thans for the help guys. I guess It will all depend on the daddy(the grey boy) what happens to the foal.