News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Help with Quin breeding please?

Started by Ryuukokoro, January 05, 2011, 09:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryuukokoro

I would reeeaaally really love to have a yellow dun Quin. I've tried to breed one a couple times but it never turns out correctly. Once I got a black baby from two yellow dun parents. XD;;;

Can anyone help me with the best combo I should try for to get a yellow dun foal? Would it be two yellow dun parents? A yellow dun and a buckskin? Red dun and yellow dun? Once I know what to look for I can go look for parents and try to reserve a breeding. :)

Thanks in advance for help!

Kadana Sorano

I dunno genetics, but I got a silver dapple yellow dun when I bred my black arab to Dunkels arab mare (Sunny)  I 'think' she's a red dun, not positive though, I can;t get the page to load for me right now.

Edit: now it loaded.  And yes, the mare is a red dun.  And the breeding season prior to that one Dunkel bred the same two, and got the same results.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Keilin Alyr

You can make breeding a little easier for yourself by treating the various dun color names as their base coloration:

Yellow Dun: Bay
Mouse Dun: Brown
Blue Dun: Black
Red Dun: Chestnut

Essentially what you're hoping for is a bay horse with dun markings, and you can plan your breeding accordingly. I do remember your little black foal; it just meant both parents were Aa bays and both passed their recessive gene to their foal, since black is aa. That has a 25% or 1 in 4 chance of happening, but chance is funny sometimes. =)

You do have 75% odds of breeding bay from those parents. You also have 75% odds of breeding dun if both parents are Dd heterozygous. Personally, I'd try again with that same pairing and hoping you're a little luckier in the directions you're hoping for.

As for the other combos you were questioning:

With a yellow dun (bay dun) and buckskin (bay cream), you run the risk of cream foals. You also run the risk of neither modifier passing, since the traits are dominant and only one parent has each trait. Your buckskin is dd dun and your dun is cc cream. You want to maximize your chances of dun being inherited.

With a yellow dun (bay dun) and red dun (chestnut dun), you run the chances of any breeding with chestnut. Quite a lot of horses carry chestnut without showing it visibly. Unless you've proven that your non-chestnut does not carry the gene, you run the chance of chestnut being passed to the foal, thus masking whatever base coloration he or she may have.

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

Ryuukokoro

La la la, okay so I'm looking for two yellow dun parents or a bay and a yellow dun, then! *crosses fingers and gets to looking!*

Ryuukokoro

lol well Dunkel's Sunny has thrown yellow duns all three times she has been bred, so I have reserved her for next season! ^^ (Dunkel is love!) Thanks for the help guys!

Keilin Alyr

Sunny's actually not a bad choice, considering she's definitely a base bay underneath her chestnut coat. I don't know if she's homozygous (AA) agouti, but she is a lovely mare. I know she also hides silver dapples if that interests you.

I'll assume the father is Buck, who hasn't thrown a chestnut foal yet, but I don't think he's been bred enough times to a chestnut to prove he's EE extension. However, he did sire Xerxes with Sunny, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it happens again. =)

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

Ryuukokoro

What are the chances if she breeds with Answered Prayers again? Twice she bred with him (he's black) and got yellow dun both times. :) I am wondering if it is very likely or just coincidence that it happened twice? lol.

With my luck I will get her first non-dun baby. XD;;

YourLoveOnly

If she is AA and homozygous dun then she will produce a bay dun when bred to a black, but that has nothing to do with him having useful genes, that would be her awesomeness xD And it would work the same way when bred to a bay or brown, so nope no extra odds. I would avoid breeding with a chestnut though, just to be safe since no one is certain yet if she carries chestnut.