News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

The Cloven: Breeding/Marking Discussion

Started by Ravvana, March 11, 2011, 02:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravvana

Leet drew some amazing unicorns, and I am lucky enough to get to run them :)

Female
Male
Baby

http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3930.0

~~~

How I plan to run them:

1. Every other month will be a breeding month. During a breeding month, each user can request one breeding for a nominal fee. Outside RBs and studdings are permissible; users may even borrow both dam and stud. In addition, there will be somewhat rare items to get second or third breedings in one month. These items can be earned through bribes, auctions, raffles, giveaways, etc.

2. The non-breeding months would be event months. During an event month, I will try to give out a minimum of 10 unicorns. This could be through a pick-a-door, scavenger hunt, RP, Franken, auction, raffle, art contest, poetry contest, etc, etc. These unicorns will primarily be premades, although semi-customs will be available with less frequency.

3. Full customs will be primarily bribe-only. They still may show up as special event rewards, but bribing is the primary way to get one. This way, I won't get bogged down by trying to perfectly color intricate mimics, giving me more time to color premades and semis -- and thus ultimately giving more unicorns to more users :)

~~~~~

Questions on Breeding:
1. What should be the "nominal fee" for a normal monthly breeding? 1k? 5k? Other?
2. Would you be happy with one breeding resulting in one foal? Or should two foals be the normal result from a single breeding?

I have decided on 10k per breeding (no item required for first slot).
The standard will be 1 foal. However, a semi-rare item will be available to get twins.

Question on Markings:
3. How do you feel about standard markings? These will not be markings that I have templated; I will still color all unicorns 100% by hand. But, similar to Noms (or perhaps most like Horses, but with the markings drawn by hand each time), there will be some standard markings like fade, dun, splotches, stripes, tobiano, socks, etc. This will streamline the breeding process, as I can use a basic Punnet square for each trait. All premades and semis will have standard markings; full customs can have special custom markings that will also be inherited through a basic Punnet square. Does this sound like a good plan, or...?

This is definitely how I'm planning to do it.

And most importantly--
Question on NAME:
4. What should these guys be called? Just Unicorns? Uni? The Uni? Something really creative that you want to throw out there? XD

The Cloven!

~~~~~

PRIZES

Everyone who answers all four questions will be put in a raffle to win a premade unicorn (to be colored after the marking decision is made). The number of premades to be won will depend on the number of contributors.

Whoever suggests the name that I end up using will receive a semi-custom.

EDIT: No more prizes, but feel free to still make comments/suggestions :)

Thank you for your attention! :D

Ryuukokoro

Congrats Rav! I'm so excited!! *major hugs* Ryuu has very few adoptables she really gets into and alraedy I am in love with these! ^^

Questions on Breeding:
1. What should be the "nominal fee" for a normal monthly breeding? 1k? 5k? Other?

I would say a minimum of 10k per breeding, though it's hard to say with the market currently draining like it is thanks to the Horses. :3

2. Would you be happy with one breeding resulting in one foal? Or should two foals be the normal result from a single breeding?

As a collector I want to say 2 foals is better because hey, who doesn't like foals? XD Also because a lot of people like a baby to be used as a breeding fee. However, Okibi only have 1 baby per breeding for a reason. XD Twins take a lot of toll on a colorist! And twins garanteed every time... ouch. And for realism sake, 1 is probably more likely than an equine animal dropping two offspring every time.

So as a shop owner myself, for the sake of your own sanity, my opinion is one foal per breeding. But that's just me. ^^

Question on Markings:
3. How do you feel about standard markings?

Applauds to you for your statement of non templating markings! That's a hard goal. I would personally say you SHOULD have templated markings, because it allows for much more ease of coloring, and that means getting more out to the public! However, in the end it's up to you. ^^ I really like your idea of the punnet square, so if you're happy with that, I would say go for it!

Also-
similar to Noms (or perhaps most like Horses, but with the markings drawn by hand each time)

For analogy, you can use the Faes and Air Fish. They have standard markings, which are shown on their website, that are hard drawn every time. ^^

And most importantly--
Question on NAME:
4. What should these guys be called?

I'd really love to see Leet's name in the creature name, just because Leet's style is so distinct! You can look at these critters and immediately say "Those are Leet's unicorns all right!"

So my suggestions for a shop name would be:
-Leetcorns
-Cloven Leets
-Leetians

Sparki

How adorable! I think some standard markings would be fine, especially since you intend to draw them by hand. Even if the marking is technically the same, they'll all be different. =) For that reason I would encourage charging on the higher end of the spectrum for breeding. I would also think one foal would be fine, but twins could be a rarity or you could incorporate an item to use to get them.

I would call them Legends because I love that movie. XD But Unicorns (or something with the word in it) would be straightforward and good for thread titles so people could immediately tell what they were!
...its persistent silence and outstretched arms horrified and comforted us at the same time.

Neocridders

Breeding Questions:
1.I think a fair price is 1k. I think if you plan to have items used on top as a bonus thing, that's fine, but if you are charging per breeding you shouldn't also need an item required for each breeding.

2.As for foal count, I think 1 is fair. Of course, I think it would be fun to have one you could keep, and then HAVE to rehome the other one, so there could be fraternal twins with each breeding.

3. I like standard markings. It makes it easier to know what I like. As long as there are new markings that come in from time to time, I'd love that idea. Plus, if someone wanted a custom and ordered a custom marking, it could only be attained through breeding or customs. Otherwise standard markings were all people could fine (unless you had like the rare 'Special marking unicorn auction' or something. That's fine too!)

4. As far as names  go, I will throw out some.
-Gallops
-Protectors (of the forest?)
-Fairyhorns/Fairycorns
-Mystics

I dunno. I'm usually a bit better at coming up with names. Right now I dunno I guess I just can't come up with anything.

Kahlira

I  can not wait to stalk these guys =D

1. Nominal fees, yes. The Horses have sucked all of my SG out of me. So I'd put the fee in the 1-5k range. *nodnod*

2. One foal seems perfectly fine to me, though my greedy heart says two would be awesome. But yeah that'd be more work on you. Keep it fun and simple, and maybe have a random number and (Say 1-20) and if a breeding hits that number twins result.

3. Standard markings hand drawn, yes that would be awesome. Easier on you then to say have a starry one bred to a paint splotchy one..what would result? lol

4. Keeping it simple, I'd go with the Unicorns.

Whimsy

1. What should be the "nominal fee" for a normal monthly breeding? Personally I think 10k is fair number to ask simply because you will have to color that resulting offpsring twice. I always loved breeding seasons for the babies but I always hated coloring a baby & an adult and match them almost perfectly I got to the point that I'd make the adult and then loosely mimic the baby.

Personally I'd really like to see two foals for the fact that we can only do one breeding. That way you have at least a small choice and then someone that maybe didnt have the chance to breed can have the other foal ^-^ I know thats more work for you, but thats just my thinking.

Question on Markings:
3. How do you feel about standard markings? I think this is a great way to go about things, I only recently thought of this myself for an adoptable im going to attempt on PI. That way I feel like they are a little more personal ^-^

And most importantly--
Question on NAME:
4. What should these guys be called? I so fail at names for adoptables and though I hate to steal ryuus idea its a very nice one. So here are is my go at a "leet"name.

The Eleet

Ryuukokoro

Ravvana

Hmm, who could this be...

Do you like the cert font?
How about the size? Is 300x300, 350x350, or 400x400 better?

And here are my current markings. I'll release more as I go. Any you're dieing for that I didn't include?
http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3963.0

Ryuukokoro

I'm having trouble reading the cert words in the second one, so if you decided to go with the smaller one, I would suggest a different font?

Regardless I like the larger size better, anyway. :)

red_uni387

I think the first is too big and the second is too small XD but Sean looks so cute!

Questions on Breeding:
1. I think 5k would be good, since that's what users start with
2. Honestly I would love it if 2 offspring came every time, but that's really tiring so 1 would be fine xD

Question on Markings:
3. This is a good plan! Even with pre-set markings each critter is still unique :D

And most importantly--
Question on NAME:
4. Since I believe unicorns are forest dwellers, I was thinking something that has to do with Glade? or Legend? since they're told of in fairy tales ^^

toffeeca

I think that between 1k and 5k would be fair. That is cheap enough for new members and/or members who spend all their money on horses.

I think one foal is more realistic in terms of work for you, but I would also love twins. Maybe a small chance of twins similar to The Stable?

3. How do you feel about standard markings?
I think that standard markings are perfectly fine. I like the idea of the basic inheritance for markings.

4. What should these guys be called? Just Uniorns? Uni? The Uni? Something really creative that you want to throw out there? XD
The Cumo (Cumo is latin for horn which is part of how unicorn was derived)
The Meadow, The Novella, The Dream, The Illusion (horses live in a stable for The Stable so unicorns live in... XD)
Or something simple like Unicorns, The Unicorns, something like that

kunaisa

1.  1k

2. I think it should be 1 foal but people still have a small chance in having 2 foals

Question on Markings:
3. I think it sounds good :)

And most importantly--
Question on NAME:
4. Add something in the beginning like Magical or something or like ex. Chokria Forrest Unicorns idk I just made that up right now...

Ravvana

Quote from: red_uni387 on March 11, 2011, 08:58:35 PM
I think the first is too big and the second is too small XD but Sean looks so cute!

Ding ding winner! I hadn't even thought of not scaling them in even hundreds XD I uploaded a 350x350 in the same post, which I think is my favorite size.

red_uni387

Ravvana

Names I really like so far..

-The Cloven (derived from Ryuu's Cloven Leets) -- I like this because it's a similar concept to The Feli, which ties them back to Leet adoptables :)
-something to do with Glade (red)
-Unicorns XD

Sparki

...its persistent silence and outstretched arms horrified and comforted us at the same time.

Ryuukokoro

ooo I like The Cloven!! *nod*

I still like 400x400 better than 350x350, but I've always liked mine a bit bigger than most, I think lol.

Font seems readable at 350 though. *nodnod*

Ravvana

Okay, The Cloven it is! :)

Ryuu, you get the very first semi-custom <3 Please fill this out:

Name:
Three to Four Colors (Hexes OK):
One to Two Markings (Click):

Ravvana

Questionnaire Contributors (thus far):
Ryuu
Sparki
Neocridders
Kahlira
Whimsy
red
toffeeca
kunaisa

I'll leave this open for suggestions for five or six more hours, and then run names through random.org for the premades :)

YourLoveOnly

Breeding: Two would be helpful for studs/RBs, which might make it easier for new users to join in (finding a stud or RB might be a ton easier when you can offer a foal in return), but I wouldn't mind one either. Fee of 5K or 10K

Markings: I don't mind premade markings, although I would like the possibility of getting custom markings for bribes/full customs (like TheLeet does with her Feli and Garden Noms) or, because these aren't templated, make markings very generic so you can code them but people still have a lot of options (I think Garney does this with Air~Fish, like there is a marking called spots but it be different types of spots)

TheLeet

Questions on Breeding:
1. I think that anything between 1k and 20k would be fine for a nominal breeding fee. Even though there's a big SG sink out there now, it's still easy enough to make SG by competing.
2. I think that one foal would be just fine but I understand why some people would like two. Maybe you could sell a limited number of items that allow for twins, so people who really want two foals, still have a chance to get them.

Question on Markings:
Standard markings sound fine to me, as long as there's still an option for people to get special and unique markings through customs. I wouldn't even mind if they were templated - templated markings can save a lot of time and effort :D

Ryuukokoro

\o/ Whee!! Thank you thank you Rav!!

Name: Amalthea (of coooooourse XD )
Owner: Ryuukokoro
Three to Four Colors: white, pale ice blue, pale lavender
One to Two Markings: Bay, Stripes(Hair)

Goddesss

Questions on Breeding:
1. What should be the "nominal fee" for a normal monthly breeding? 5k - 20k sounds good to me.
2. Would you be happy with one breeding resulting in one foal? Or should two foals be the normal result from a single breeding?  I would be happy with one foal but would love 2 for trading.

Question on Markings:
Standard markings work well and it is cool to get a chance at special markings.  I think the way you are wanting to run these sounds awesome.

Size and font:
I like the 350X350 size best and the font is easy to read.

Ravvana

Ryuukokoro

Eeee thank you!! Love love love how subtle her markings are to see. <3 *pets tiny little pretty*

Ravvana

So glad you like her, Ryuu! There's definitely a learning curve to coloring them, but I'm getting there XD

Raffle Results

There were 11 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. Neocridders
   2. Ryuu
   3. Whimsy
   4. kunaisa
   5. Sparki
   6. toffeeca
   7. red
   8. Leet
   9. Kahlira
  10. Goddesss
  11. YLO

Timestamp: 2011-03-13 02:29:09 UTC

And because I really do appreciate the feedback, you ALL get a premade! :D

1. Neocridders

2. Ryuu

3. Whimsy

4. kunaisa

5. Sparki

6. toffeeca

7. red

8. Leet

9. Kahlira

10. Goddesss

11. YLO

Please post names here <3 Ask if you want to know the marking/s for breeding purposes, but they are generally pretty obvious.

red_uni387

awwww so nice, Rav!! <3 thank you!!

can't even escape green here i guess >_< at least he has really pretty yellow too.

Ravvana

If you want to avoid the green, I am more than happy for you to swap premades with someone else (as long as the agreement is mutual XD). The same goes for everyone.

Haha, I just realized that I subconsciously made Whimsy's a near perfect mimic of my RL Sinatra XD *resists the urge to steal him back*

toffeeca

Green loooooooooves you red!

Can I  name my girl Prima please? Thank you so much Ravv!

Sparki

YAY! <3 Can I please name her Mojave?

Thank you Ravvana! They all look beautiful!

red_uni387

oh! didn't think to ask if that would be possible xD if anyone wants to swap with me please lemme know~

it does, toff Dx

Whimsy

Ravv I'd be willing to trade him out for another natural colored cloven ^-^ Or if not and your okay with me keeping him I'd like to name him JoJo

Ravvana

Hehe, thanks Whimsy. Here is a pretty buckskin boy for you:

Whimsy

Oh ravv *squees* Hes awesome I adore buckskins with blue eyes. My absolute favorite! Cant wait to get him a pretty girly!

Lets name him Hoss

Goddesss

Thanks Ravv I love mine.  I like to name her Stella.

TheLeet

Quote from: red_uni387 on March 12, 2011, 08:56:37 PM
oh! didn't think to ask if that would be possible xD if anyone wants to swap with me please lemme know~

it does, toff Dx
I'd be happy to swap with you. I like the boy I got but green is one of my favourite colours :D

Kahlira

My little lady is stunning! Thank you!

Naming is hard though.

I'm stumped!

But erm.. I think I'll go with Dream Marie

Yes, she shall be known as Dream Marie

red_uni387

Quote from: TheLeet on March 13, 2011, 04:56:39 AM

it does, toff Dx
I'd be happy to swap with you. I like the boy I got but green is one of my favourite colours :D
squee! Thank you Leet <3

TheLeet

Quote from: red_uni387 on March 13, 2011, 12:03:37 PM
Quote from: TheLeet on March 13, 2011, 04:56:39 AM

it does, toff Dx
squee! Thank you Leet <3
So it's a deal then. Thank you, too :D

@Ravvana :
I'd like to name my new green boy Forest, please ^^
I also just noticed that I seem to have gone a tiny little bit over the lines when I templated the eyes on the male. Feel free to fix that if it bothers you :)

Neocridders

Thanks so much! He's so cool!
Name: Duncan

Thanks a million *loves him*

red_uni387

Ryuukokoro

Eee thank you Rav!! I'd like to name him Plummer please!

Ravvana

YourLoveOnly

I have seen and love mine, actually noticed the pick-ups quite soon, but I am completely stuck on a name >_<

kunaisa