News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Fallen Shadows - Help with the FAQ!! please?

Started by red_uni387, January 30, 2010, 05:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_uni387

Fallen Shadows - The Origin
Written by SeaCrest

Long ago, in an ancient land where magic was as plentiful as air, there frolicked beautiful equine creatures known as Silent Dreamers. These creatures embodied the pure essence of their world, their crystalline horns and beautiful, exotic coats tokens of this bond. Both sexes were extremely graceful, but the males were built upon strong, sturdy bones, the females delicate and fairy-like.
They had horns of every color, coats of every pattern, and magic at their will. They could communicate only by thought, shape the flowers and earth to their whims, and, with mastery, could change their appearance at will. It was a carefree time, the beauty of the world unspoiled, intensified by the magic that run amok.
However, in a tragic disaster, that land was torn apart from within by the magics it harbored. The magic began to disappear, leeched away by the pull of nearby worlds with little or no magic at all. The Silent Dreamers began to disappear, their foals smaller, sicklier. In desperation, the final five Silent Dreamers drew together, and drawing upon their depleted magic, wrought a spell that would change them forever.
They stripped themselves of their magic, dulling their beautiful coats to ordinary colors like black, bay, chestnut. In all appearances they were mortal horses, but for their flowing tails and unnatural grace. Their foals became healthy, robust creatures, no longer horned but nevertheless beautiful and magical in their own way.
The five left gathered all their young, most orphans whose parents could not be saved as their magic was stolen, and departed their world, using the last remnants of their magic to transport themselves here, to Secundi. Here they found solace, peace, warmth, a home to call their own. They called themselves the Fallen Shadows, for they were shadows of their former selves, reduced to mere beasts by their standards. They had fallen far from their previous grandeur.
However, once in a while, a Dreamer was born to a Fallen, and they assumed the name Shadow Dreamer, for they were hopeful dreams to their Fallen families, and yet still were cast in shadow compared to the original Silent Dreamers. These Shadow Dreamers rose to prestigious heights, and yet somehow, each and every one fell in their own way; to greed, to vanity, even to death. The ones left were guarded fiercely, taught the principles and morals that would govern their lives, and they grew stronger with every passing year. Yet the Shadow Dreamers were not immortal, and some died as others were born.
They bore the horn of their ancestors, and continued the legacy of their parent's dreams. The thorn hidden in the rosebush, they both hurt and healed the heart of the Fallen. So beautiful, and yet so rare. So magical, and yet none to teach them. So strong, so mighty, so flighty and arrogant that they caused their own demise. The Fallen sought to mold these Shadow Dreamers into beings that were selfless. They have succeeded, and yet somehow, some way, the Shadow Dreamer's ranks are slowly dwindling. Less are being born each year to the Fallen.
Will you bring that legacy life, hope? Will it be your Fallen who will be granted the joy and hope of a Shadow Dreamer child? It is not who you are or which Fallen your nurture; it is the care, the love, the ultimate friendship with your Fallen that will yield the most spectacular results.

Background
This started as a unicorn adoptie with art by ditzeeblonde intended as the only lines. However, as she is apparently going through her busy RL and has not had time to finish shading these, I managed to get ahold of some horse lines that hopefully look sorta kinda similar to the unicorn ones. xD It s now those horse lines that this shop will be focusing on, the Fallen Shadows. The lines are shown below.

fallen shadows (first will probably be male)

male shadow dreamer

female shadow dreamer

and I really do trust you guys not to steal <3

FAQ
Q: What is a Fallen Shadow?
A: A Fallen Shadow was once a magnificent creature of magic, known to us humans as a unicorn. However, they were stripped of their magic long ago because their world was dying. They cast away their magic in the hope of saving themselves, and they became what you see today, mundane horses.

Q: What is a Silent Dreamer?
A: A Silent Dreamer is the unicorn that lived long ago before their world was torn apart by the abundance of magic it contained. The Fallen Shadows you see today are descendents of the Silent Dreamers, stripped of all their magic but their grace and uncommon beauty.

Q: What is a Shadow Dreamer?
A: A Shadow Dreamer is a foal born to two Fallen Shadow parents that is a unicorn. Silent Dreamers cannot breed as their magic has altered them somewhat to accommodate their magical power; if a Shadow mare were to bear a foal, it would instantly kill her due to the fact that her magic requires much energy.

Q: What are the chances of Shadow Dreamer foals?
A: Shadow Dreamer foals never have twins, triplets, or any more than one foal. One foal is enough to nearly kill the mother, and two or more would be fatal to both the mother and the father, as the foal taps its father's magic also.

Q: So Fallen Dreamers have magic?
A: Not in the literal meaning of the word, but yes, they have traces of magic that they can neither control nor tame. At best it can yield a Shadow Dreamer, at worst it can result in early death.

Q: What about the Shadow Dreamer's magic?
A: The Shadow Dreamer's magic is volatile, as likely to do as it is bid as it is to lash out and kill. Shadow Dreamers must be handled with great caution, and training is recommended should you wish to ride and show off your Shadow Dreamer.

Q: How do I train my Shadow Dreamer?
A: You can roleplay it in any of the Fallen Shadow roleplays hosted by red_uni387 or SeaCrest. You do not have to train your Shadow Dreamer, but it does help, since without training your Shadow Dreamer has little more defining characteristics than the average Fallen Shadow, other than its horn and coat.

Solistia

Oh, those are pretty, I'd love to see them lined and templated X3

YourLoveOnly

red_uni387

lol yeah that was my reaction when I saw them, which is why I begged and pleaded for my mom to pay for a renewal so I could get them. kinda sad I didn't get to start them yet though

red_uni387

ahhh now that I rediscovered them I really really want to start them D:

hoping that I can find an RP manager cause I know some people like to RP and I stink at it <3

red_uni387

one pic for normal horsie breed done :]

red_uni387

springacres

I meant to comment, but something distracted me.  Anyway, I think these guys are lovely :)  (like I NEED another adoptable to be spending USD on... xD)

red_uni387

lol distractions tend to do that XD

YAY! :D but most likely these guys will never have USD customs, except to help out friends ^^

red_uni387

so. I need ways for these to stand out :]

definately going to stick with natural coats for these, but unis will have any color horn ^^

springacres

Backstory is one of the best ways to make an adoptable stand out.  Adoptables with just nice artwork are fine, but don't tend to hold my interest for long.  If there's a good backstory to work with in RPs, or if there's some other interactive feature (competitions of the type held by The Kennel or The Stable, for instance) that is more likely to have me sticking with the adoptable for the long run.

red_uni387

yeah backstory is something I need to fix with Jumpers D:

As these are horses I'd really really like to have an RP person hold RPs for them....hopefully someone will want to help <3 I don't want to do competitions though, cause then every single adoptie I run will end up like the Kennel and the Stable and that'd be pointless XD but RP points would exist for little add-ons for your horses like armor/jewlery/chemical enhancers(for breeding)

Breeding would be all the time, but need to get a regular chemical enhancer to make the mares go into heat and 1-2 foals would be produced. Breeding between uni and reg would be allowed but mixed breeding would only have 10% chance of uni to keep them rarer. Other chemical enhancers for affecting gender and color would be avaliable in the RP prize point shop :)

red_uni387

thinking of adding little pets for them, like actual flying fish and stuff like that to connect with the more fantasy aspect since all coats are natural :) yes or no?

edit: ooohh CYO definately in store too <3

quyllur

Personally, I'm not a fan of companion animals unless they are in the precise style of the original creature, so drawn/shaded/lined by the same artist as the original.

Maybe if you're going to have fantasy coloured horns for the Uni's, they could correspond to elemental magic or something, to be used in RP.  Just a thought anyways.

red_uni387

unfortunately ditzee's apparently completely occupied by school, so there's no way to get companions drawn by her....though I could ask BlackS maybe, if you think the styles match enough ^^

oh I like that! it could even affect breeding, giving the foal a bit of color from the element like green/brown for earth :D

red_uni387

new item idea: crystals! these would be able to be added to custom forms to add a little bit of fantasy color, so would be rather rare ^^

Poupou

I really like these!!! I know I'll want some when they become available! x3

The only thing that bugs me (not enough to not adopt though) is the male's back leg.  It's looks waaaay too long.  Other than that the rest is fine.  And yeah, gimme gimme!
*grabby hands*

red_uni387

whee more posties!
I can't see the images right now so can't look at it, but will look when I get home and see if I can see what you mean ^^

and still trying to think of a unique idea XD

definately looking at commissioning several mane options for these now, if anyone even still wants them here

red_uni387

*meeps* now wondering if you guys want these to stay, since there are already so many horse adopties :]

indigowulf

Dont worry about how many there are- each one has it's own unique charm :)

Echowing

red_uni387

mmm...they'll probably go on the back burner for a while though, cause I'd love to find someone to draw several different styles of manes/tails and lots of addable items <3

SeaCrest

OMGIWANTSOBAD!

Are you looking to write a backstory for these guys? I'd love to try if you want me to ^_^ I love writing XD

red_uni387

*giggles* I want them too XD but good art cannot be rushed, so letting the inker/shader take her time :)

yup yup, something about their own little world, and how magic is seeping away so the unis lost their horns and we're left with horsies for the time being :)

SeaCrest

Quote from: red_uni387 on April 08, 2010, 11:01:38 PM
*giggles* I want them too XD but good art cannot be rushed, so letting the inker/shader take her time :)

yup yup, something about their own little world, and how magic is seeping away so the unis lost their horns and we're left with horsies for the time being :)

and that sometimes a rare foal is born with a horn intact and magic? Awesome! I shall set to work - I'll set my max at about 5 paragraphs :)

Wait...

Do they have a name?

red_uni387

ooohhh was not thinking of that but I likey :D

*squishes* Thank you!! will be PMing you as well <3

SeaCrest

Quote from: red_uni387 on April 08, 2010, 11:06:39 PM
ooohhh was not thinking of that but I likey :D

*squishes* Thank you!! will be PMing you as well <3

XD Great!

Do they have a specific name I can use to describe them - like Quinsta, Gidgets, Wobbles, etc?

red_uni387

SeaCrest

Quote from: red_uni387 on April 08, 2010, 11:16:22 PM
er no not yet Dx

Okayz, I'll just leave it blank for now...

Or how about Fallen? Or Dreamers? Or Dancers? XD

red_uni387

SeaCrest

Quote from: red_uni387 on April 08, 2010, 11:23:20 PM
I like Fallen! or maybe Corrupt? :D

Hmm...

But Corrupt sounds like they're...I dunno, evil. What about Fallen Shadows? Fallen shadows of their once beautiful selves...

XD

red_uni387

I need to stop thinking evil heh >.>

that sounds really nice! :D shall change thread title and see if peoples likes it too

SeaCrest

Quote from: red_uni387 on April 08, 2010, 11:27:16 PM
I need to stop thinking evil heh >.>

that sounds really nice! :D shall change thread title and see if peoples likes it too

Awesome! Ho hum...now for a name for their original form XD

Um...Dreamers? Since what I'm writing right now is about the original Fallen, before they, um, Fell.

red_uni387

Dreamers is good, but since the horsies have a two part name it sounds kinda weird XD and all I can think of is Pure Dreamers >> stupid mind .-.

SeaCrest

Quote from: red_uni387 on April 08, 2010, 11:35:10 PM
Dreamers is good, but since the horsies have a two part name it sounds kinda weird XD and all I can think of is Pure Dreamers >> stupid mind .-.

Hm...

Or Shimmer Dancers? Or...Cloud Dreamers, since their manes and tails remind me of curly clouds :)

red_uni387

Silent Dreamers? this is hard lol

and it's nearing 10 for me and I'm going fishing tomorrow so have to go to bed D: *squishes* Thank you so much for the help <3

Echowing

I like Fallen Shadows for the name. I would try to think of names for you for before they fell but my brain has died  >.>   

SeaCrest

Quote from: red_uni387 on April 08, 2010, 11:40:15 PM
Silent Dreamers? this is hard lol

and it's nearing 10 for me and I'm going fishing tomorrow so have to go to bed D: *squishes* Thank you so much for the help <3

Silent Dreamers...me like! They communicate via mind rather than sound :D

But now they must resort to mundane communication...

Night, and you're welcome! O_O It's almost ten for me too ;D

Thanks Echo, I think we're all in agreement that Fallen Shadows is perfect for the current version, and I think we'll have Silent Dreamers as the pre-fall name :)

You can try and think of a name for the foals born to Fallen that are Dreamers, though. Foals born here on Secundi that somehow have all their magic intact :)

Maybe Shadow Dreamers?

Echowing

I like Shadow Dreamers, It's a good mix of them ^^

SeaCrest

red_uni387

SeaCrest I love your naming ideas :D

I think maybe to make it a bit more interesting, you can only get a Silent Dreamer if two Fallen Shadows produce a Shadow Dreamer :O so very rare occasion indeed *nods*

Wolfs Fang

I like them. :) *stalks*

All the names suggested are pretty good, but "Shadow Dreamers," is my favorite. :D

~Fang
~~

SeaCrest

Quote from: red_uni387 on April 09, 2010, 10:17:19 PM
SeaCrest I love your naming ideas :D

I think maybe to make it a bit more interesting, you can only get a Silent Dreamer if two Fallen Shadows produce a Shadow Dreamer :O so very rare occasion indeed *nods*

*head spins*

...Fallen Shadow x Fallen Shadow = Shadow Dreamer = Silent Dreamer

Yes? And Shadow Dreamers are sterile, even though they have male-female forms. They just can't breed, because Shadow Dreamer mares will die if they bear foals, and therefore SD males cannot mate either.

There should be like a 1 in 100 chance of a Shadow Dreamer foal.

Silent Dreamers don't exist except in myth and legend - any foals born with magic are called Shadow Dreamers :)

Make sense? Should I write up an explanation of the different types?

red_uni387

yup yup :D cause Shadows grow up to Dreamers

ooo you wanna make this hard on people dontcha? lol

and wow that'll definately keep them rare!

oohhh so Silents are no more? there are only Fallen and Shadows? :)

if that's correct I think I have it, but if anyone else doesn't please speak up~

SeaCrest

Quote from: red_uni387 on April 09, 2010, 11:12:23 PM
yup yup :D cause Shadows grow up to Dreamers

ooo you wanna make this hard on people dontcha? lol

and wow that'll definately keep them rare!

oohhh so Silents are no more? there are only Fallen and Shadows? :)

if that's correct I think I have it, but if anyone else doesn't please speak up~

Well, Silents exist under the name Shadow Dreamers, if that makes any sense. They're like a mockery to the Fallen, both a blessing and a curse; they bring hope for the restoration of the Fallen's magic, and yet the misery that they will never breed and raise more Shadows, since Shadow's magic is rather warped because of the spell cast by the five Silents at the very end of their existence.

Make sense?

XD I think that it will make it more rare and interesting, and any Shadow will be born without a twin, no matter what object used, since they will use most of their mother and father's rudimentary magic.

I hope this isn't too complicated, I'll go write out a little FAQ about the types.

ETA: FAQ. This isn't the whole thing, but just based on the types and history of the Fallen. Please PM any more questions to me or red_uni387.

Q: What is a Fallen Shadow?
A: A Fallen Shadow was once a magnificent creature of magic, known to us humans as a unicorn. However, they were stripped of their magic long ago because their world was dying. They cast away their magic in the hope of saving themselves, and they became what you see today, mundane horses.

Q: What is a Silent Dreamer?
A: A Silent Dreamer is the unicorn that lived long ago before their world was torn apart by the abundance of magic it contained. The Fallen Shadows you see today are descendents of the Silent Dreamers, stripped of all their magic but their grace and uncommon beauty.

Q: What is a Shadow Dreamer?
A: A Shadow Dreamer is a foal born to two Fallen Shadow parents that is a unicorn. Silent Dreamers cannot breed as their magic has altered them somewhat to accommodate their magical power; if a Shadow mare were to bear a foal, it would instantly kill her due to the fact that her magic requires much energy.

Q: What are the chances of Shadow Dreamer foals?
A: Shadow Dreamer foals never have twins, triplets, or any more than one foal. One foal is enough to nearly kill the mother, and two or more would be fatal to both the mother and the father, as the foal taps its father's magic also.

Q: So Fallen Dreamers have magic?
A: Not in the literal meaning of the word, but yes, they have traces of magic that they can neither control nor tame. At best it can yield a Shadow Dreamer, at worst it can result in early death.

Q: What about the Shadow Dreamer's magic?
A: The Shadow Dreamer's magic is volatile, as likely to do as it is bid as it is to lash out and kill. Shadow Dreamers must be handled with great caution, and training is recommended should you wish to ride and show off your Shadow Dreamer.

Q: How do I train my Shadow Dreamer?
A: You can roleplay it in any of the Fallen Shadow roleplays hosted by red_uni387 or SeaCrest. You do not have to train your Shadow Dreamer, but it does help, since without training your Shadow Dreamer has little more defining characteristics than the average Fallen Shadow, other than its horn and coat.

red_uni387

oh okay I get it now :D

and about RP....I can't hold RP at all >> My writing is more random discriptions and we'd end up stuck in the same point in the plot for a long time ._.

SeaCrest

Quote from: red_uni387 on April 09, 2010, 11:54:39 PM
oh okay I get it now :D

and about RP....I can't hold RP at all >> My writing is more random discriptions and we'd end up stuck in the same point in the plot for a long time ._.

Hm...sample RP prompt heading your way, lemme know what you think...

red_uni387

*send brain waves to attract more peoples and scuttles off to read*

SeaCrest

Quote from: red_uni387 on April 10, 2010, 12:01:17 AM
*send brain waves to attract more peoples and scuttles off to read*

Perhaps a banner with just the lineart and the name? Then we can drag it around wherever we go XD