News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Don't cry... Please don't let me cry...

Started by Arty, November 20, 2013, 02:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arty

I don't know why this has me on the verge of tears... I work overnight at Wal-Mart, I stock the shelves and make sure they look pretty for the people that come in at seven in the morning. I've been working here for about a month and a half and I love working here but the only friend I've had for the last ten years also works here and she hates this job. She's lazy, she takes pride in the fact that she is walking the line of being fired and because I talk to her while I work the managers are treating me as if I'm exactly like her... they said I'm slow and other employees are complaining about me and that if I don't act like I want to be here they're going to just fire me and get it over with... but whenever I'm not around my friend they all like me just fine and I've always tried to go the extra mile but I guess it's wasted on those managers. Sunday night we didn't have any freight come in so we were making the shelves look pretty and then we had nothing to do, almost everyone went home early but I stayed my full time to help my favorite manager, T.J., reorganize the entire clearance toy section while Jamie (friend) was just making a nuisance of herself until she went home two hours early... I don't see how I'm anything like her... and now I am crying... >.>

skysnolimit

Awwww Arty, it sounds like you just need a hug and somebody to support you!  I know it's hard to look weak in the States, but have you considered telling the managers what you think the situation looks like from your point of view and then seeing if they have anything else to say about it (like sorry, or maybe something you haven't thought of yet)?

Also, go to sleep!  That might just make everything better.  And, on the plus side, it sounds like you are conscientious with a great work ethic, so you probably have good jobs ahead of you regardless whether they're at Wal-Mart or at anywhere else!  Keep your dignity and your chin up.  You're just doing the right thing, after all.  Friendships can be inconvenient sometimes but I think they're worth it--especially the old ones!

I'm sorry nobody at your workplace understands who you truly are.  With time I'm sure you'll prove yourself.  Unfortunately, that's how it has to happen sometimes.

<3

Silvanon

Winged

Oh that sounds rough Arty! My advice would be to take to your friend about it. If she's really a good friend then maybe she would help you by being less difficult at work. Also, perhaps you could avoid talking to her while you're working, that might help you to improve relations with the rest of your colleagues. Again, if she's a good friend she might understand that.

And if none of that works... i guess it boils down to what's more important, your friend or your work? If your job is really important to you then try to avoid her at work and focus on helping yourself. I don't know if you could try shifting shifts so you don't work at the same time or in the same area as your friend? That could help if you think that the managers are fine with you when you're not with her.

It sounds like you're a hard worker, so i'm sure that your managers will come to understand that :) Hope my advice could help, and please don't take it the wrong way, i'm not judging you it's just what i'd do.
Owner of Gliders!

Bunraku

I completely understand what you're going through Arty, and its always rough. At my old job, I was continually treated by management as though I was some kind of pariah due to the fact that I simply didn't..."fit in" to their ideal of what a worker should be after the new management took over. Despite the fact that I knew what I was doing and could balance funds with very few flaws, if any, I was also quiet, reserved, and unlike the other girls that spent more time sucking up to the popular crowd than I did. As a result I was often shouted at and treated rudely, and blamed for things that the girls working at night had done (messes left behind that I would end up having to clean up in the morning) Eventually it resulted in me breaking down at work and walking out. I just couldn't stand it any more.

I know your situation is different than mine because it involves another person that's leading them to have a bad impression of you, but don't let it get as far as it did with me if the job matters to you as much as mine used to to me. Does wallmart have a union representative or someone you could talk to that would help you mediate when talking to the managers? Or perhaps even another older co-worker that recognizes your work ethic for what it truly is and might be able to help stand by you while you explain things to the management. Retail is rough, and the managers are rougher. Like everyone else said, keep your chin up and don't let your friend, no matter how much you like her, bring you down to a level where you end up sacrificing your job and your life. Try to talk it out with her, maybe even find out why she behaves that way, and see if you can change it. Its the best thing you can do for her as a friend, because it sounds like she could stand to learn a little of your maturity.

Wildfilly94

I totally understand where you're comming from Arty. :/ I'm having a similar issue at my job. You just keep working hard liek you do and don't let them get to you. You know what your job is and you get it done, so it shouldn't matter if someone else thinks wrong.
If you start to feel depressed all the time and find yourself unhappy with the job, you should try considering another job if possible. My own job is ruining my emotions and causing fights everywhere because I'm so unhappy, so I am now searchign for a new job.
Beleive in yourself and you do what you know is right. If anything, just try to avoid the friend more? I know it sucks, but work is more important, if your friend is getting you in trouble.

I hope things work out for you, and wish you the best

springacres

Can't thing of anything else to add except what other people have already said, so... *HUGS*

And Bunraku... I'll just say that Walmart is one of the least union-friendly companies in a typically non-union friendly industry here in the US.

Riverwind

Aww I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. :( I can't think of anything else to add...everyone else summed up my thoughts perfectly. *hugs*

Arty

Thank you so much guys, I think it hurt because one of the two managers, Randy, saw me come in on my day off and help T.J. with the toy section and watches me pull my own weight and he knows that when that one person isn't around I usually don't talk at all. I have to work again tonight but I have tomorrow and Friday off so I can take a break from the drama, I'm probably not going to come in if they call me though.

Oh, and Skys, I posted this on my lunch break because I was so sad and angry my throat had closed up and I couldn't eat anything. I almost made myself sick from how mad I was :/