News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

SGA - Introducing the Storm Chasers (Lines by Watty)

Started by SGA, October 26, 2009, 10:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGA

Click banner for website.

It all started when Jack phoned me, full of excitement over a new gate that would be appearing.  By now, we had done this enough, I figured he would be calmer.  But he was as excited as a child on christmas morning.  By this point I knew better then to question his information.  If he said a gate would open, then one would open.  So I told him to calm down, assemble a team and send them out.  Then he told me the rest.  And suddenly I understood his excitement.  Though I admit to having a small twinge of doubt myself, this was new, and a first.  Being a scientist that's all that mattered to him, not the potential for trouble, not any political issues that could arrise, certainly not the trouble it would be to acquire passports, permits and licences.. Oh I had no doubt I could get the documents required.  The question was, could I get them in time?

Well I did managed to get all the paperwork in time, barely.  It's surprising how many officials are willing to take bribes.. hmm on second thought, maybe that isn't so surprising after all.  So permits in hand, bags packed, Jack said his goodbyes to the rest of us and loaded his team on the plane.  That's something else that was new.  Jack going to a site, he never has before.  He's always preferred to direct everything form within the complex.  I envied him, I've always wanted to visit the desert.  Granted the Sahara wouldn't have been my first choice, but still..  Well it's done, and I'd remain behind.  I'd get over it.  I returned to the complex to await word of their safe landing, Jack planned to set up a remote access to his terminal once they were in position.  Whatever that meant,.. Half the time when he talked it as in some weird techno language.  I just trust he knows what he's doing, and let him do it.

We got news of the plane landing safely, and the crew heading out to the site.  Somewhere out in the desert.  We were supposed to hear back from them once they arrived and set up.  But we never did.We waited, we tried to work on the other things needing attention, and we worried.  more and more as the days passed.  These gates are so.. unstable.  Any number of things could have went wrong, and probably a number more that we were still not thinking of.  Finally, after days of living off of nothing but coffee and worry, stress levels so high we were snapping at each other over the tiniest thing, the phone rang.  There was instant silence from every worker present.  You could hear the ringing echoing off the walls.  Rushing over I snatched up the receiver, frowning when Rosie reached out and hit the speaker button.  There was a lot of static on the line, but we could make out Jacks voice.. and what I swear sounded like howling in the background.  Frowning we all strained to make out what jack was saying, there was a lot of interference, and he kept breaking up.  In the end all we got from him was that he needed a transport ship.  A large ship, for transport of livestock.  They'd await the ship at the Port of Dakhla.  That was it, nothing else was understandable, everything all garbled.  

So there we were, wondering what the heck had happened.  What did they find?  They were meant to fly back, why do they now need a ship?  And one so large at that.. livestock?!  What in the world..  Bu I trust Jack.  Well, as much as I trust anyone.  so I made arrangements to hire a livestock transport vessel to head to the Port of Dakhla in the Western Sahara.  Not as easy as it sounds mind you.  Try explaining to ships captains and docking authorities, customs, and various other officials why you need a live stock vessel, when you can't tell them what sort of "livestock" you will be transporting.  let's just say it takes a lot of finesse (which I admit I lack) and a Whole lot of money.  But in the end, I got his ship, and enough permits to cover any contingency.. then it was back to waiting.  And wondering.  I'm not a patient person.  Neither, apparently, were the rest of the staff waiting with me.  Tensions rose again, then it hit me.. livestock?  Do we  even have a place to house livestock?  Finally, something for me to do!

Off to the vets center I went.  I told them about Jacks request, and asked about facilities to care for livestock.  Learned I was right in thinking we had none.  But, we do have some unused fields, and un unused wing on the vet's floor of the compound.  So we got to work.  Fenced in the unused fields, had some shelters built.. without knowing what sort of livestock, we were uncertain just what to build.  We threw up a few barns, and stables just in case.  Ordered in some fresh straw for bedding, and oats for food supplement.  With the fields, there was plenty of fresh sweet grass, but whatever he is bringing may require more.  I wanted to be safe.  We could always find something to do with the stuff later if it wasn't needed after all.  

More waiting.  Did I mention I'm not good at waiting?  Time seemed to slow to a crawl at the compound.  Other teams that had been in the field returned, still others went out.  But not a single word from Jack.  Time passed, we watched the leaves change colors, we sat and stared out at the icy rain, we drank coffee, and we wondered.  Then, in the wee hours of the morning, we were awakened where we'd fallen asleep waiting, some at their desks, others in the cafeteria.. Lucy's voice over the intercom full of excitement. "Jacks back!  He's coming in!"  Finally, the mystery would be solved!  Everyone scrambled for coats and gathered outside.  Pushing my way through them all to the front I watched as truck after truckl pulled through my gates.  Horse trailers.. with horses in them.. well, I love horses, but what in the world?

Spotting Jack climbing down out of the cab of the leading truck, I went to him ready to blast him with questions.  He looked beat, thinner, and worn somehow.  But his eyes sparkled with excitement, and he burst out unable to wait to greet anyone.  "Just wait" he says "Just you wait and see!"  "Jack" I says "they're horses."  I looked through the slats on the truck he'd rode in.  "Are those Arab horses??  Where.. no Why..?!"  "They came through the gate Kad!  They're not form our world!" It took a minute for me to register what he'd said.  Horses, looked like arabs, though I'm no expert.. from another world?  Shaking my head I let him lead me to the rear, where the horses were being brought out.  I looked up into clear blue eyes and couldn't help but smile.  Then I heard it Greetings Kadana.  I apologize for any inconvenience my charges and I may have caused you.  We do thank you for your hospitality, and look forward to a long and beneficial relationship with you and your herd.  blinking I looked around to see who was speaking to me, but there was no one near me save Jack.  Jack.. looking incredibly puffed up and pleased with himself..  I frowned at him and opened my mouth to ask him what was going on.  But he grinned his cheesie grin at me and turned me back to face the horse, murmuring in my ear "meet Alacazam Kad.  He's got a lot to tell you."  I glanced over my shoulder at Jack, then back at the horse.  Well, this is certainly strange.. but what the hell, I'd humor Jack.  "it's nice to meet you Alacazam, welcome to Shadowgate."  Glancing back at jack I catch him nodding as if in approval, then a soft whicker had me turning back to those blue eyes.  Indeed we do have a lot to talk about, but would it be possible first, to see my charges to their place of rest?  It has been a very long journey, and our we all need some rest.

So the horses were all unloaded.  The stalls turned out to be a good idea after all, though there were no where near enough of them.  The straw was forked down for bedding, blankets pulled out to help block drafts, the fields quickly filled.  I'd always wanted horses, but this was insane.  By the time everyone was bedded down, the sun was up.  I needed rest myself, but first, I'd corner Jack.  I found him in the lab typing away on his computer.  It took threatening to pull the plug to get hi to stop and talk to me.

It seems when they landed, the winds were high.  by the time they got to the site, it was raining.  Yes, raining.  Thought it didn't rain in the desert?  yea, me too.  Seems like it does though, at times.  storms can get quite bad when they do get them even.  And that's apparently what happened.  It seems the storm coincided with the gate opening.  Or should I say gates?  I'm not entirely sure of the details, I was tired.. and lets face it, I never understand Jack anyway.  But the long and short of it seems to be several gates opening at once.  Several worlds, with severe storms occurring all at the right (wrong?!) place at the same time.  What we ended up with was several gates opened, several "newcomers" arriving form different worlds (and some of our people leaving..) all at the same time.  

It was too much, it knocked all their equipment offline.  When things finally calmed down somewhat, they took stock and realised two field agents were missing.  Did they get lost in the storm?  Or, as suspected, did they end up going through a gate?  Jack has left most of his crew behind, just in case.  And also to try and round up the rest of the creatures that arrived that night from other worlds.  He brought the horses back here, there were so many of them, and they were attracting unwanted attention.  But now we have them all, and not enough room for all of them, nor enough people to care for them properly.  As you may have guessed, they are telepathic, and very intelligent.  Talking to them is like holding a conversation with another human.  They are not pets, nor beasts of burden.  They love storms.  They love to race and play in them.  That's what they say they were doing when they ended up here, chasing the storm.  We've decided then to call them Storm Chasers.  We certainly cannot keep calling them horses, much as they look like them.  They know what horses are, and it offends them to be called thus.  I reckon they have a point.  After all, I'd really dislike it if someone called me a monkey..

So here we are.  We still have a lot to learn from our new.. friends.  But they are over crowded here, and we need to help find some of them new homes.  Needless to say the world in general cannot be allowed to know the true nature of the Storm Chasers.  As far as the outside world is concerned that are horses, same as any other.  Alacazam assures me that they are used to pretending to be "normal", and that if it means the safety of his charges then that's what they will do.  As long as they are adopted by folks who are kind, and DO know the truth and are willing to treat them with the same courtesy and respect they would give their fellow humans.

And that my friends, is where you come in.  Are you willing to take a chance?  To adopt into your home a Storm Chaser?  Not knowing what, if any, other "differances" they may have to our world's equines.. Not knowing much of anything else about them really.. Are you willing to open your heart to these travellers from elsewhere and make a new friend?

We've asked you all for help in the past, and I know we usually offer you much more information then we can this time.  So we will understand if your answer is no.  but were hoping your answer will be yes.  yes, you're willing to take a chance and make a new friend, to open your hearts and homes to the Storm Chasers, and together, we can learn about them and the world they come from.

And now, I'd like to introduce you to my new friends Alacazam, Airborne Magic & Aftershock :)  (Click thumbnail for full view)

Credits n Stuff

Lineart, shading, cert by Wild_as_thunder.  (I did edit the cert a bit, but it's still by her)

Adult mare, stallion and unisex foal.  Oat bucket and bale of straw, bridles for adults and halter for foals.  And cert.  These were all by Wild_as_thunder.

Examples of Items: (Straw and Oats, bridle/halter can be seen on my SC's)

Owner: Shadowgate Adoptables (Aka Kadana)
Staff:

Colorist: Mutt
Part-time colorist: Indigowulf
Possible occasional Guest Colorist: Lectral

Yes, I now has staff (non family staff that is!).  Any one of these three may decide to make an appearance here, maybe even run an a few events of their own.  If they do please give them the respect they deserve!    

Examples of Mutt & indigo's coloring (again, click thumbnails).  

Storm Chasers: Equipping/Training event : http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=6559.0
Storm Chaser's Stat Allocation: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=8619.0
Storm Chasers: Customs Thread (Closed) : http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0

SGA

Storm Chasers: Equipping/Training event : http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=6559.0
Storm Chasers: Customs Thread (Closed) : http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0

SGA

Writing Contest/s

Write a story, telling how you would go about making friends with A SC if given the opportunity.

You have 1 week from the time of this post to get your entries in.  At the end of the week, this mare will go home with one of the entrants.

Please post Mare #1 in bold at the beginning of your entry.

Mare #1

How good are you with total randomness?  Seventh Sanctum has a wonderful set of generators.  One of them I've always wanted to play with is their Quick Story Idea generator.    So, that is where your assignment comes from now.  Using the generator I have received a story idea, and now I pass it on to you.  You have one week to do what you can with it, and post the results.  

Your Story Idea/assignment:

QuoteThe theme of this story: noir character study. The main characters: neurotic assassin and conceited dancer. The major event of the story: betrayal.

You have 1 week from the time of this post to get your entries in.  At the end of the week, this mare will go home with one of the entrants.

Mare #2

Please post Mare #2 in bold at the beginning of your entry.

Rules:

You may try for both Mares, but you may only win one.  So in the event the same person wins both, they will be asked to choose one, and a new winner will be chosen for the second.

You may enter once for each mare (please post entries in two different posts).  

Colorists.. you are allowed to enter, but do not enter for the horse you colored.

SGA

indigowulf

How about we kick off the in thread games with a little reverse franken?

The person who's form most closely matches the horse I have colored by oct 28 at 23:59 wins the horse.

When you are picking a color, you can put light, medium, or dark with the color.
Remember, these are all colored naturally, so "dark green" wont get you anything!
dont forget that gender options are mare, stallion, gelding.

mane color(s):
tail color(s):
main body color:
other body color(s) (can leave this blank):
hooves:
eyes:
pattern (can leave this blank):

indigowulf

I want to see the first secundi-owned horse, so Im tempting you all with a little colt.
And since pages dont "stretch" here, Im putting him in full size so you can see him. Tempted yet?

He will be a very simple pick-a-door style. You may claim 1 door and gift 1 door, he is behind 1. There arent any other prizes behind the other 9 doors.. or are there??

1-
2- Spixy
3- Angeenia
4-
5-
6- SplitX
7- Scullisto
8-
9- Lady Everlasting
10- springacres

(colorists may gift doors if they wish)

SplitX

I can't see the lines, but that won't stop me from trying any way! XDD

Door #7 for SplitX, please
Door #3 for Angeenia, please

indigowulf

Strange. they are saved in photobucket, shouldnt be any permission issues :(

SplitX

I know. XD Photobucket is blocked on the school network. >>; It pretty much sucks. A lot.

Spixy

awww he's adorable =O I love the lines!

Door #2 please :D

indigowulf

ok all updated, now Im going to sleep lol. I know Kadana is asleep too, couple of night owls we are! But feel free to pick doors and post stories while we snore away.

Lady Everlasting

~Lady Everlasting

springacres

SweetCaroline

~SC~

Ravvana

quyllur

SGA

Just posting an updated door list for Indigo..

1- Ravvana
2- Spixy
3- Angeenia
4-
5- quyllur
6- SplitX
7- Scullisto
8- SweetCaroline
9- Lady Everlasting
10- springacres

indigowulf

TY hun I was out celebrating my birthday, a bit late but at least Im not as sick as I was on the actual date lol. Had fun. 1 door left then :)

YourLoveOnly

indigowulf

and random.org has spoken.. oh look, there were more behind the doors than we thought!

There were 10 items in your list. Here they are in random order:
4- YourLoveOnly (you win the colt. name/owner please)
1- Ravvana (prize)
10- springacres (prize)
6- SplitX (prize)
9- Lady Everlasting (prize)
7- Scullisto (prize)
2- Spixy (prize)
3- Angeenia (prize)
5- quyllur (prize)
8- SweetCaroline (prize)
Timestamp: 2009-10-29 11:54:48 UTC

SGA

Pick Up's post has been edited with a link to your inventories.  I will place the items won in your inventories later on after I've had some sleep.

Congratulations :)

YourLoveOnly

O.o I feel really lucky now.

Name: Reamonn
Owner: YourLoveOnly

indigowulf

Ravvana

Ooh, I can get a custom of my RL boy! :D Indigo, do I give the form to you? And where is the form, exactly? :-[

Thanks!

Kadana Sorano

At the moment we have 3 differant custom scrolls (vouchers)

The first one is a general voucher, that when turned in, any colorist can do.  Just whichever gets to it first.  I'm not sure yet how we will go about accepting those.  Maybe, if enough get out there, make a seperate thread just for posting formsin..  (thoughts on that is appreciated!)

The second one has Indigo's colorist mark on it.  That means it can only be redeemed with her.
So too the third has Mutt's colorist mark on it and can only be redeemed with her.

For those two, they will only be given out by the colorists themselves, never by SGA.  ANd it is up to each colorist how they want to go about accepting the forms.  I haven't had a chance to speak with Mutt about it yet but Indigo said last night that she would redeem hers any time, and just let folks know if she was unavailable.

Wether she will want the forms posted or Pm'd, she'll have to say.  This will be our first custom, so bear with me on the form, Indigo can edit it if she wants, but for now I would guess this would do..

Name:
Owner:
Markings:
Mane/tail:
Reference Picture/s (if any):

A few things to remember.. 

1. When picking gender, Gelding is an option.  Geldings will have a bonus when racing is implemented.  (however, there will be opportunity later on to geld a stallion, so if you want a stallion now, you can change your mind later.)

2. We have a special angel to put on the certs of any memorials.  So be sure to let us know if you are ordering a custom as a memorial so we can add your angel if you want it.

And now, I'm off to drink prodigious amounts of coffee and try and wake up enough to get things certed.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

SGA

YLO Reamonn has been certed and is in your folder.

Everyone else, your scrolls have been placed in your inventories.

Ravvana

Name: Sean
Owner: Ravvana
Color: Dark bay
Markings: Star, snip, two hind socks
Mane/tail: Black
Detailed Description: Sean is a dark bay with the typical black points and lighter brown around his muzzle/eyes. He has two facial markings (star, snip) and two hind socks. In the right lighting, he has light dappling (more visible in second album).
Reference Picture/s: (edited to remove Facebook link, as the custom is now done)

:D

indigowulf

so sorry i slept for almost 12 hours, not sure why. but Im not coughing as much this morning so maybe i was getting over some of my icky sicky.

indigowulf

Let me know if theres anything you want me to change before he gets certed.

Ravvana

SGA

Ravvana Sean is certed and in your folder.  let me know if I need to change anything :)

Coloring contest for you all.  I got the following piece of art from cutie pie on PI.  Your task is to color it for halloween.  You have one week form the time of this post to get your entries in.  

One entry per person.  Color it however you want, just make it halioween themed.  Backgrounds are allowed but not required.

Color this:

Win These:

First Place: Rosewood

Second Place: indigowulf

Colorists ARE allowed to enter.  The mare was colored by me, so that should be fair enough lol

YourLoveOnly

Do we lose points if we don't shade the entry? I can color, but not shade xD

And Reamonn is beautiful, thanks =D
Do these grow up on their own or do they require an item?
I couldn't find it anywhere..

indigowulf

I *think* they autogrow, but Ill wait til kadana answers for sure. I know every existing foal has a matching adult to this point.

indigowulf

Its only a half-arse entry, mostly just wanted to letcha know, Ive saved the shading template I did here, with each part on its own layer, in case you wanna use it.

Im not completely happy with the wings, but they are on thier own shading layer, so you can get them redone.

Kadana, lemme know if you want the file!

eta: ack, stupid white-spot issue. Ill fix that if you want the file.

indigowulf

Here it is greyscale with the white spot issue fixed.

Ravvana

Ooh, I would love to use that shading template for my entry! :D It looks awesome.

indigowulf

oh lol when i said "if you want the file" i was meaning kadana lol.. but I dont care personally if someone saves the shading greyscale I did for thier own entry, as long as kadana doesnt consider it cheating.

Kadana Sorano

Quote from: indigowulf on October 30, 2009, 05:27:42 AM
Its only a half-arse entry, mostly just wanted to letcha know, Ive saved the shading template I did here, with each part on its own layer, in case you wanna use it.

Im not completely happy with the wings, but they are on thier own shading layer, so you can get them redone.

Kadana, lemme know if you want the file!

eta: ack, stupid white-spot issue. Ill fix that if you want the file.

Oh that would be lovely.  I'd love to have the file thank you *hugs*

As for the coloring.. Shading is allowed, but not required.

Yes, if you want, you can use indigo's shading, I don;t mind.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Rosewood

Rosewood trys to get an apple out of the tree with a bumerang.

I am going to enter the cloring contest now. I'll check back later. :)

Ravvana

I swear his cert says "Genfer: Stallion" :D Is that just my eyes, or is there a typo?

SGA

It was a typo.  My son had actually pointed that out to me before I began events.  I had meant to fix it and forgot -.-  Just fixed it on the main cert, as well as on all the 17 males currently owned.  Re-uploaded them all, so you may have to refresh to see the fix, but hopefully I did it right and links won;t completely break.

Rosewood

ETTA: I edited out me asking for a door. I hadent relalized i hadnt relilized that the event was over.

For coloring contest:

Rosewood

Oh, and thank you Indigo for the use of the shading template. It helped alot, since I can't shade all that well. :)