News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

My Current Projects

Started by Drift, January 25, 2011, 09:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drift

EDIT: I added the adoptable I'm working on. Let me know what you think?

...yes, I'm one of those artists that starts 500 million things and never finishes them. You can see most of my unfinished things at my dA account (I'm not very active at all over there, it's more for storage), my username is SKdrift.

I'm posting some of my digital projects here because I want some feedback from this community as to what adoptable I could make that would be popular. Looking around (or furiously stalking, however you want to put it) the shops, I've seen some really awesome critters. But I'm not so sure a four-legged or furry adoptable is the way I should go. I also want to share some of my art since I'm horribly new, and with this being an art-based community, I thought it'd be nice to share my current work:

I don't like body...I was going for ferret, and I ended up with, I don't even know, a dog-bear?
I started coloring some of it to hopefully give you an idea of what he'll look like when he's done.
(will probably be made a little smaller...unless you guys like 'em big)

this is my "normal" style, I suppose. She'll be shaded and perhaps out-lined.

speed painting left unfinished because it was less than speedy. Ref used.

My failed "chibi" attempt. Still gonna finished her, tho

and two more girlies

So, yeah, what would you guys like to see from me? I can draw dragons and horses fairly well, but I don't have any recent examples. I am, for the most part, a human artist.

And I will, by the way, post the finished versions. I just wanted to post these because, even though they're unfinished, they're still the most recent examples, and the best examples of my digital art. I won't be working with traditional media here, so I didn't want to post traditional paintings.

YourLoveOnly

Sadly I haven't seen human adoptables do very well here yet, but maybe that is also because we didn't really see many yet xD I know one that was very populair, but mostly handdrawn and went inactive after a few weeks :(

Ryuukokoro

Ryuu must admit she is also not a fan of human-shaped adoptables (with the exception of AAA, for the RPing aspect). I'd love to see you put up some examples of animals! ^_^ Maybe some that are a combination of different animals to get something new and unique!

Drift

Hmm, maybe no human adoptable then. I could probably draw some pretty cool centaurs or anthros, but there are already a lot of those. I guess I'll sketch up some non-human concepts and see what happens?

...perhaps I'll design some aliens. That sounds like fun :)

Anyways, the best example of an animal art that I've done is a horse in my dA gallery; can't post it here, though, and you'll understand why if you find it (won't be hard, I think there are like maybe 5 things in there). Again, I'm SKdrift...and I'm not advising youngsters to look through my gallery o.O I think there's a also hyena and an octopus in there, but like that vulture up top, he's merely a companion.

With that said, here are some old (old, old, old) animals from before I had a tablet:
photobucket is slooowwww. Or maybe it's my net.

this was for a website that I never got around to making.
there's a bear on here that I'm pretty proud of lol! and not the polar bear

YourLoveOnly

*pets the hyena on your DA* I can't see the mature ones as I have no DA account so they are blocked for mature content xD

I also really like that one you just posted. I think something similair to that would be great, perhaps with tons of different mutations? <3 There is a lot of love for customizable adoptables I think and we could surely use more of them.

Drift

I think I'd like to do adoptables that are, at least for the most part, individually drawn. I might re-use some outlines, but I like to draw adoptables more than I like to color them. I doubt I'd have too much fun using the same outlines over and over unless I was in one of those rare moods when coloring is more fun than sketching  :P

The ferret dude was a really old character of mine, and after finding that picture, I kind of would like to resurrect him, but I doubt I could draw ferrets all of the time and not get bored. I like people because there's so much individuality; expression, pose, hair, outfit, proportions, skin tone, tattoos, accessories...I just have a lot of fun with it all. So, I'd really like to incorporate that into my adoptable. I want them to be super-dooper customizable. And hopefully rpable, but I'll worry about that much later.

YourLoveOnly

*points over here* http://community.livejournal.com/cleiteag_aerie/tag/commissions
You can see the Cleiteag I own here: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=2607.0

I think that gets close to what you are looking for. They have a basic look/features, but there is an insanely long list of customizeable options you can add or even change the basic features. Each one is handdrawn.

It is also what I meant when pointing at your example above. You could make an adoptable that has basic features of a ferret, but with a long list of possible wing/tail/leg/ear/etc mutations. You could work with one base image or draw each pose individually. I think it would be amazing to get another adoptable like that. Cleiteag are my addiction. I want moooore xD

Ryuukokoro

I looove the ferret in a top hat. XD It'd be great to see some adoptables like that!

Drift

went to the drawing board with ferret in mind, got this so far:

Owl-ferret? Eh? Ehhh?  ;)

Haven't decided what kind of tail, if he's even going to have one. I can't wait to color this!

Oh, and I'm sorry it's so big, the final version will probably be a little smaller.

Whimsy

Domino :D You have my vote lol.

Drift

I added the partially colored, incomplete line-art for a possible adoptable in the original post. Would it make a nice pet? I can draw and color them pretty quickly, so far that's all done with an airbrush and just-add-water :]

Plus it's super fun to draw. I wasn't confident with my fur/feather skillz at all, but I think it's turning out well.

YourLoveOnly

I really like the shading work on that! Will they be original posed or lineart? If so, I do suggest making a few more stages (at least Adult Male/Adult Female/Unisex Baby) and I would also suggest making them a lot smaller.

Drift

They're not all going to be original lines, but they will all be originally painted since I don't want to use templates. I plan to re-use poses, but only occasionally. If I offer customs, they will have unique lineart.

Oh, and they rest will be a little smaller (at least small enough to fit on one page) but this guy is gonna stay the size he is.