News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Kittlings- need help deciding!

Started by indigowulf, October 14, 2009, 06:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indigowulf

I was thinking about how to handle breedings with kittlings. one concern is that i dont want to get overwealmed when breeding season comes around. Another is, if I use items, I need to go take the time to come up with the item and create it and upload them in users folders, ect ect.

1) the normal way of having a 1 use "item" to allow breedings

2) have breeding slots available for a fee, call it the "vet fee"

3) have an "alley" where kittlings are allowed to go prowl during heat season. females come back to thier owners pregnant, and you dont know who the father is, so the babies could look like any of them! (funner but irresponsable)

4) other? suggestions welcome.

the other issue im debating is this, do we have single births, small litters, or large litters? Again, i dont want to get overwealmed and slow things down because I have too many to do. And I dont want there to be so many out there that owners arent excited to get a new one. but I also think litters are fun.

what about allowing litters, but saying an owner can only manage 2 babies from each litter, and the others need to be rehomed? keeps things interesting?

input and advice welcome!

Ember

My first suggestion would be option 3. XD Being serious I'd say option 2. Breeding items invite more mistakes (not to mention work). As far as litters go, I'd say go for small litters of 3-4 max and rehoming of more than 2 being manadatory is a good idea. ^^

Ryuukokoro

I would say have a breeding item. Most adoptables do that because it's just the easiest way for one person to run an adoptable breeding season. Have a basic breeding item and the result is one kitten. That way you'll keep from getting overwhelmed.

I like the alley idea, I think it's cute! It's so of like a 'wild' breeding item where you don't know what the other adult looks like. I would actually suggest an item that allows the Kittling to go to the alley. That way some people can do that if they want, but if they want to breed normally they can have that option.

Also I wouldn't suggest having litters. That just makes SO much work for one person to do. I would just have one baby. The reason the Kennel does multiple offspring is because they work so hard to be realstic, and realistically dogs do have more than one puppy at a time usually. But also remember the Kennel has more than one person doing all that work, you're just a single individual.

And by saying that a person can only have 2 kittens and have to gift the rest, that leaves a large amount of work to be done by you and the person who breeds as well. Eventually they will run out of people to gift to lol. I think it would be much much easier to have a normal breeding item and possibly a twin breeding item.

These are just my personal opinions though. ^^

indigowulf

Perhaps both options.. a responsable owner with the vet checkup that includes a small fee but allows the owners to pair the adults as they wish. Then once in a while, a random allyway gathering where owners are allowed to 'forget to close thier window' and have thier pets breed with whom they wish, for no fee.

sera

i do love the idea of kittlings being able to visit the alley. xD;;;  That's just awesome and a lot of fun.  ^^

i prefer the idea of a vet fee than an item.  i'm also not from PI, so having to have an item to breed my crits is a new concept to me.  lol  i'm rather curious to how owners of males will be eligible for breedings. .  . lol 

indigowulf

I think if it was a vet visit with a fee, each parent would have to have thier checkup to be declared "fit". Then the mother would get the kittens. So, either the mothers owner would pay vet bill as breeding fee, or the owners would need to work something out. If you own both parents then theres no hassel.

For those who only own a male, it gets tricky. Either you convince someone with a female to let you mate and have the baby, or wait til you have your own I guess.  :-\

sera

Maybe if someone sends their male into the alley, he can come back with a kitten in tow? 

Kadana Sorano

Quote from: indigowulf on October 14, 2009, 06:20:39 PM
Perhaps both options.. a responsable owner with the vet checkup that includes a small fee but allows the owners to pair the adults as they wish. Then once in a while, a random allyway gathering where owners are allowed to 'forget to close thier window' and have thier pets breed with whom they wish, for no fee.

This option.

As for litters and rehoming, howwould the rehoming work? Do we, as the owners of the litter, find soeone and give, sell, trade the extra's too, or do the extra's go to you, as the erm.. vet? and you use them in events to rehome them?

either way I dont mind, just urious how it will work.

Eh sorry for bad typing skills, I just got up form bed to have dinner, and now I shall return to bed and check the rest of the forums later lol
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Ryuukokoro

Quote from: indigowulf on October 14, 2009, 09:49:47 PM
I think if it was a vet visit with a fee, each parent would have to have thier checkup to be declared "fit". Then the mother would get the kittens. So, either the mothers owner would pay vet bill as breeding fee, or the owners would need to work something out. If you own both parents then theres no hassel.

For those who only own a male, it gets tricky. Either you convince someone with a female to let you mate and have the baby, or wait til you have your own I guess.  :-\

The nice thing about breeding items is, it doesn't matter whether you have the female or the male, in the breeding. Whoever owns the item is the one that gets the baby.

springacres

Quote from: Ryuukokoro on October 14, 2009, 06:18:54 PM
I would say have a breeding item. Most adoptables do that because it's just the easiest way for one person to run an adoptable breeding season. Have a basic breeding item and the result is one kitten. That way you'll keep from getting overwhelmed.

I like the alley idea, I think it's cute! It's so of like a 'wild' breeding item where you don't know what the other adult looks like. I would actually suggest an item that allows the Kittling to go to the alley. That way some people can do that if they want, but if they want to breed normally they can have that option.

I love Ryuu's ideas.  Maybe have catnip for a normal breeding item, and a stick of wood as the item that lets a kittling out without the owner's awareness?  And come breeding season, anyone with a stick of wood has a random chance that one of their kittlings will sneak out for a night on the town.

indigowulf

You guys are awsome. Decided to go with a combination of those.

Vet fee to get your pets checked before a responsable breeding, but the vet fee can be pre "paid" as a coupon. "paid" is in quotes because you may purchase one, or win/trade one.

I **love** the idea of it being a stick that allows them to sneak off to the ally. I think I will allow people to purchase a stick during mating season. Never ever will I give one against someone's will. Any kittling who's owner has a stick and who is not already in a planned breeding may sneak outside, male or female will also be random. Maybe none sneak out, maybe they all do. The only way you know for sure is if someone gets preggers.

Any time a female gets preggers after escaping with a stick, she gets moody some random day and chews the stick up (aka, it will be in your inventory until you have a breeding, then it goes away)