News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Dog Coats?

Started by SplitX, October 19, 2009, 08:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SplitX

Alrighty. I have quite a few dogs that I'm planning to take into Secundi, or are already in Secundi, that I wanna have accurate descriptions of. However, I'm missing one major, important thing for their descriptions: their coat colors! I'm no dog expert. I BARELY learned gerbil breeding. XD I'm no good with genetics and naming coat colors. Can y'all help me? I wanna know so I can predict breedings a little better, and be able to have it on their pet descriptions, just in case someone asks or I wanna be sure they're NOT a merle in case a double-merle breeding is risked. Sorry if some of these are obvious; please try to not laugh. I just wanna learn, and I'm really NOT stupid! I'm just blonde and not knowledgable about coat colors and the like. ^__^; I mean, I suppose some are just colors (Dexter's probably just plain white), but I wanna know either way, even if there isn't a danger in breeding them with any other coat color.

NSTDR - Amisi

Boxer - Daisy

Boxer - Dexter

Akita - Shirai

Cairn Terrier - Athena

Border Collie - Odo

Dachshund - Pocky

Cocker Spaniel - Sunny

Chihuahua - Sweetie

Heeler (ACD) - Bahiti

Pomeranian - Blitzkrieg

Chihuahua - Spazz

Malamute - Spunk

Thank you SO much for any help in advance. <3 I know a lot of these are probably obvious, but I don't wanna mis-label, and it'd just be nice to know, especially if I could ask if dog coat A would look pretty bred together with dog coat B. <3

Lectral

Okay, here's what I have them as, and what I will be using if any of them are sent for breeding, once it's open.  I will be double checking the dapple gene in dachshunds, as I haave heard from some that it is the same as merle, and from others that it isn't, so I want to make sure I have it right.  Bahiti is the only one I'm not positive about, was she a custom or a won dog?  I can check her out, but as I have her listed, she would be safe to breed with any other color.

Amisi - merle (light blue/silver)
Daisy - brindle (brown base)
Dexter - white (possibly with cream patches - one ear looks colored)
Shirai - Sable parti/broken sable (not sure exactly what term akita breeders would prefer)
Athena - brindle (grey base)
Odo - merle (light blue)
Pocky - Dapple (blue tri - works the same as merle, but I will double check this)
Sunny - merle (red) and white
Sweetie - sable parti
Bahiti - I would say dilute red speckle, but if the colorist who did her says otherwise, I'd go with that
Blitzkrieg - light grey parti
Spazz - fawn and tan
Spunk - merle (light blue)

red_uni387

All I know is that Sunny is a red merle. It said so on her litter page :)

SplitX

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help SO much!
She was won in a contest held by Garney. -pets her- I think it was in the first The Kennel event thread here on Seunci.

However, to help out: There is a nice couple that breeds dachshunds on our street. I noticed there was some talk about double dapple before, and I asked them about it. They said that double dapple IS like merle, and has fatal genes. It can cause hearing loss, loss of eyesight, stillbirth, etc. However, it is not alway fatal! Some Double Dapples don't get ANY bad genes. Some, of course, get the lethal genes. If they HAVE them or simply carry them (etc. they carry a gene that'd cause blindness or ARE blind), they can still be bred to a non-dapple dog for regular dapple puppies. Even if the double dapple parent has or carries a lethal gene, it will NOT carry over to the puppies. So, if the double dapple puppy is alive, he/she can be bred without risk to the puppies. They accidentally left two of their dapples out once (they have about 6 breeding dachshunds. They are GORGEOUS, so sweet, and just adorable. Dachshund puppies = amazing!!!) and they bred. They had a litter of 5. 3 were stillborn but, shockingly, the other 2 survived and didn't have any lethal genes or anything! I dunno if this is helpful at all or not, but I thought it was interesting and pretty useful. After all, double dapples can be absolutely stunning. I mean, they look like cookies just... grey & white & black. XDDD

That also brings a question to mind: Say I had an extra tag-it and I wanted a pretty Dachshund. Could I use a double-dapple as a reference picture, or would she/he have lethal genes & not be able to be bred, or could she breed & just be counted as a healthy, non-lethal double dapple? (Would produce dapple every time with any non-dapple mate, I thiiiink. I could be wrong though)

Lectral

That sounds like regular merle for the most part, and will fit into the system I have worked out for them.

As for the custom, I would ask whoever was doing the custom; not sure how they handle those

Taruia

I am not the puppy colorist, but these are the ones I slightly disagree with Lectral on as far as names. She controls genes in the puppies however, not me XD

Daisy - Fawn brindle (I only say this because of the black mask)
Dexter - White with creme patches on ear, speckles on nose, and patches on hip
Shirai - Fawn with black overlay pinto (this is the Akita breed name for the color)

As for a double merle custom, I would take whatever system Lectral uses to determine disabilities in double merle puppies, and multiply it by two, because there is no chance for lethality in a custom.

Reality is only for those who lack imagination.

SplitX

Thanks, both of you!

And Lectral, I hope my information helped, at least a little bit. ^___^

Lectral

Thanks for clearing up those three Taru - I'm kinda under the weather today, and didn't catch a few of those XD

I thought I could see the patches on Dexter, but wasn't sure, and definitely didn't catch the mask on Daisy