News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

!Blub! - Questions before launching

Started by YourLoveOnly, February 28, 2011, 11:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YourLoveOnly

Okay so I have some fishie art from Willow.
It will be a fun quick adoptable that you collect and breed.
They will not have certs, but I do keep track privately of names, gender, owner and pedigrees. It will also be listed in the photobucket description so you can look the info up if you want.

Currently we have four breeds. New breeds will occassionaly be added and possibly also hybrids, depending on how the voting turns out.

Angelfish:

Betta:

Triggerfish:

Goby:

Ignore the mostly muddy colorchoice, they are the default template.

!Blub! will run on multiple websites, but each place may run differently depending on user votes. Sooo.. I have three questions I would like answers to. I want to create an adoptable you guys will love, so I will go whichever option gets the most votes! ^^

1. Genetics
I would love to do a genetic adoptable and that was the intention for these guys, but I hate limiting myself to markings. I cannot seem to make a decision, so I decided to let the public vote! Would you want..
* genetic colors and markings
* genetic colors, but random markings
* no genetics at all

2. Type
If the public vote decides to go with genetics, what system would you prefer?
* hidden
Like Gene Pool, with a numbered code and you have to figure out what is what by watching, breeding and discussing. First gen fish will not show any markings.
* public
Like TheStable, where the genetic system is known but you only know the phenotype of your fish, not what genes he/she may be hiding

3. Breeding
I would love to do breeding projects where you can create hybrids, but some people may prefer random chance or no crossbreeding at all. So you would you want..
* only fish of the same species can breed together.
* fish of all species can breed together, but hybrids are impossible
* fish of all species can breed together, but hybrids can only be produced by following a certain guideline and will require several generations to succeed (breeding programs)

4. Gender
Simple question, yay. Would you prefer..
* fish have a gender, only male x female breedings allowed
* fish don't have a gender, they can all breed with each other

5. Adopting
And finally, a question about how they will be adopted out. Do you want..
* all fish to start at egg stage
* fish to start at baby stage, eggs only available through breeding
* fish start at adult stage, growing ones only available through breeding

Neocridders

I am interested in the adoptable :)
I do, however, want to put something forward that wasn't an option that I'd personally like to see.

I know that when you don't draw and ink and template the adopt yourself, this may be impossible, but I would love to see it done, and I wanted to share the idea.
When breeding two different species, you end up with a mutt hybrid species.
Thing of type one as AA and type two as BB.
If AA and BB types breed, you get these possibilites in a punnit square.
AA, AB, BA(AB) and AA. BA is the same as AB, so I put it in ( ).
Ok. Well, if you got an AA fish, the fish is taking the appearance of fish one. If you got a BB fish, it takes the appearance of fish two.
If you got an AB fish, you get a hybrid of the two types.
So if breeding two differnt fish species, you have 25% chance of AA, 25% of BB, and 50% of AB, but together you've got it split for half and half wether one of the parent's art is used, or if a hybrid art is made.

Now, I think that would be reasonable if you do plan to have hybrids.
However, here's where things get complicated.
You get hybrid AB bred with hybrid BC (where this fish is a hybrid of original species BB and CC).
Your chances of offspring:
AB (Hybrid of AA and BB species <-- looks like AB parent)
BB (The original parent BB appearance is back)
BC (Hybrid of BB and CC species <-- looks like BC parent)
AC (Hybrid of AA and CC species)
Each has a 25% chance.

And then, if you had AB and CD hybrids being bred, you'd get a hybrid offspring from the original (AA/BB/CC/DD) species.

Yes. Did that make sense?
I understand that the possibility of those happening would be limited to if you could get linearts made for every possible hybrid. But if you did it that way, there would never be a hybrid of three species because only one trait from each parent is passed, so only two at most could ever happen.

YourLoveOnly

I did give that idea some thought, but I decided it would make hybrids too common. I like having to spend some serious time into breeding them, so if hybrids are offered it will be through breeding projects that require several generations.

Deekkru

Ooh, I just adore Willow's fish art! :3 You should go for Tetras or Platies next.

I voted:

1. genetic colors + markings
2. public
3. crossbreeding, hybrids through breeding projects
4. gender
5. start at adult

1 - This is my absolute favorite possibility about this adoptable. I own and am a huge fan of human-bred varieties in fish. They're absolutely gorgeous, and the thought of being able to transfer my future Platy breeding plans into adoptable form is priceless.

2 - I'm not that patient. Fun for some perhaps, but I enjoy the mixing and matching more than the hunt for what the heck your fish are XD

3 - Hybrids sounds fun, but only if they're difficult to get. Like you said, they shouldn't be too common.

4 - It would be nice to have one big school that could intermingle, but I like the thought of that added realism by having to hope that your next generation of a new variety has enough the right gender.

5 - Less work for you. More fish for us.

Neocridders

Hmm. Well, how do you plan to go about genetically for hybrids to form?
Because in Quinsta, the horse is considered a hybrid (grade) horse until you purify the lines again. That's where the breeding project goes.

And I tihnk that same concept (introducing new genes/colors into purified species) could be really fun too. But I know it would be more work, and thus more rewarding, to get hybrids through 'generations of breeding' but I find that somewhat unrealistic.

YourLoveOnly

I don't find that way of breeding anymore unrealistic than having it be random chance with every breeding. There is some sort of reasoning behind it, different than what Quinsta have, but you do need to breed for a very specific type of pedigree to be able to breed hybrids. It's not as simple as "get hybrids from x-generation and higher" you do need to make sure the lineage looks a certain way =)

I have two ideas for hybrids, depending on which genetic system (public or hidden) gets picked, if any genetics get picked at all. Either no genetics or the public system will work in a way similair to Quinsta (but still different) where you have to breed a specific type of lineage to get a hybrid, the hidden system would require breeding a specific code to get a hybrid species.

Also, for those curious, !Blub! will be launching on Secundi, AAA and Garden Terrace. Possibly also PI, but I am still pondering that possibility.

*thinks there should be an option so I can see results but you guys cannot* I am curious and impatient, I wanna see who is voting XD

Neocridders

Ooh. Ok.
Well, I await seeing how things will work out. :) Thanks.

YourLoveOnly

It's actually harder to breed than Quinsta hybrids XD So no, not as simple as "breed 4 gens and you can get hybrid" that would not be fun >_> I like the thought of hybrids being not too common and more of a challenge (also because it makes me able to plot ahead and see when we are close to getting a hybrid so I can talk to Willow about drawing the art for it and she won't have to rush <3)

Kadana Sorano

I like most of the fish lines, and would love to see another fish adopt active.  I voted on 4 of the 5 poll options.  I didn't vote on the #2 choices because I have no opinion there one way or another.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

YourLoveOnly

That's fine ^^ I know on Garden Terrace I can't hide the results until after it ends, so I get to see what people are voting on and I noticed some people left things blank as well. No point in voting if you don't have an opinion, as I am trying to find out what people prefer XD'

Also, for the first question I will first look at genetics vs non genetics to see what option has the most votes and if it's genetic I go with the genetic one that has the most votes (genetic or random markings). I am doing it this way because I think if both genetic options have a total of 10 votes, for example, and the no genetic options had 9 votes it means most people voted for some form of genetics so I don't think it would be right to go with the no genetic option. Hope that makes sense to everyone ^^

YourLoveOnly

Results are in, but setting up the genetic system might take a while.
Currently the only place with a ready-to-go system is Garden Terrace, because they have random markings so I only had to type up stuff for colors.