News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Adoptable Markings question

Started by Solistia, January 21, 2010, 04:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solistia

Rather than a question for a specific adoptable, I have more of a Generic question (and would love to hear what people think!)

Having lurked in the PI adoptables forum, I notice that a lot of adoptable have pre-made markings (like PIs S-genes normally, though others as well), and was curious if most users preferred pets with pre-made markings, or pets with unique colorations (aka, no pre-made markings).

For me, having started adoptables with sites other than PI, I'm quite used to all pets being uniquely colored, rather than having pre-set markings, and it also seems more creative to me, so my personal preference is uniquely colored pets =D
What's yours?

(the main reason for my inquiry is that I'm hoping to start an adoptable on Secundi, but I want to know if I should bother making pre-made markings or not XD but I figure it's also good for future adoptable makers to know too =D)

YourLoveOnly

I don't mind specific markings at all. I adore (edit)
Those all have premade markings. BUT it isn't impossible to get unique coloring, which is awesome.
I also adore (edit), that have unique coloring.

I don't think I really have a preference, it really depends on the adoptable.

Silvanon:  Edited to remove specific examples.

Kadana Sorano

I like both.

I love the unique markings of course, because well, they are unique.

but pre-made templated markings have their place and appeal as well.

For one thing, pre-made templated markings are easier and faster to color then the unique ones.  There for they "usually" cost less, and the adoptable owner can have more events and such without growing overwhelmed.

My own adoptable shop, a lot of the critters have, or are getting, premade markings.  Only one critter so far that I am unsure if I will get markings templated for, I'm leaning towards it, but we'll see.

IF I decide to get them templated however, uniques will still be offered.  They will just cost a bit more then the templated. 

It creats a nice balance, and gives folks with less funds a way to still acquire rather nice looking adopts, if you make the templated a bit cheaper.  So I'd suggest doing that, just offer both.  Use templated for flatsales, giveaways etc.  Use uniques for auctions, and full customs.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

red_uni387

I like both :)

but for my adoptie I'm too lazy to get the markings actually templated, so the preset markings all differ slightly XD

PonyMama

I like both.  and Being an adoptable shop owner myself I can say that yes it is easier, therefore I an hold events where I can spit out one for eveyone when I have the time, which is nice.  I also like to try and do some unique ones as well to keep people in collections or just whims.

Ryuukokoro

Yes unique markings for each pet is very awesome and I think adoptable collectors like them more, but premade markings are good because they allow the adoptable shop owner to make more at a faster rate (also, if the shop owner puts a price of their pet depending on how much work they put into it, then premade ones are usually cheaper and easier for some people with little money to get) :)

Solistia

All good points to consider! =D
I may just end up doing a combination of both myself XD (it does make a lot of sense for things like Flatsale pets, so you can churn more out easily =D)
Thanks for all the input! (hope to hear more too!)

Silvanon

Per the thread author's request I have removed the heated comments and those related to them from this thread.  Those involved, if you feel you must continue the discusion, please do so via PM, so this thread can continue in its original informational purpose.  For those who post in it hereafter, in order to avoid hurt feelings, please avoid mentioning any specific adoptions (or refering to them in a manner that makes it obvious which you're talking about) unless they are run by yourself.  

Thanks everyone!

-Silvanon