News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Wolflets?

Started by IvySpring, January 27, 2010, 12:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvySpring

So! I'm new here- and I've been looking around and trying to learn about how everything works and such in the hopes that I can maybe start my own crit on this board :] I've recently aquired a couple of linearts that I'm planning on using (I'm going to try to maybe get a baby/female line before I open up sales and stuff), and I've colored up a couple examples to show you guys and get some feedback! I plan on calling them Wolflets (mini chibi wolves *grins*).

Adult:

Puppy:

(The original lines were drawn by Diamond Wolf, and I've received her permission to use them for adoptable crits)

So let me now what you guys think, and I'll start working on an information section/the other stuff that needs to get do to get these little guys up and running :]

Also- me being new to the board, I have no idea what standard pricing is for crits and stuff, so if anybody could sort of give me some advice/information on maybe how much the would pay for one of these guys that would be awesome :] thank you!

Venus and Zephyr

indigowulf

If you want honest opinion, my first reaction was to cringe from the obviouse brush that wasnt even fixed to match the flow of the body on the first one. Nothing in nature looks like that. The lines themselves are great, if you put a bit more time into the coloring and did it either without brushes, or make the brushes follow the natural flow of the anatomy, they could do well.

As for pricing, Id say hold a few auctions and see what people are willing to pay. That always seems to be the most reliable way. Set your normal pricing for premades to somewhere in the range where people bid the most. Just because 1 rich person took the high bid at 3 million, look at where the common bids were :)

Good luck!

IvySpring

Thanks for the advice! Is there a way to change like the angle, etc. of a brush to help it follow a body pattern better? I'm using gimp- and I'm not sure if it's possible to edit brushes like that.. but I'd be willing to learn how :D

Venus and Zephyr

YourLoveOnly

Indigo masters GIMP xD

I defenitely agree that these would probably be more appealing if you stayed away from brushes. If you are using them to save time, maybe considering doing markings templates? Once you've got those done you'll have adopties that are fun and easy to color =3 If you don't know where to start then the typical genes like paint, zigzag, socks and stockings are a good way to start.

IvySpring

Ok- what do people usually do in terms of marking templates on here? Like- would there be a way to make, let's say for example 5 basic marking templates, but set it up so that you can mix different templates to get different effects? Like say I wanted socks, and spots- how could I take the original socks temp/spots temp and mix them so that I can get a bunch of different designs?

Venus and Zephyr

YourLoveOnly

You can defenitely combine marking templates. Orlaya have a CYO event right now with a shiny PSD file you can open in GIMP, it's a great example of an adoptable with marking templates. A lot of people that use premade templates use PI sgenes, but that's because most of the adopties on here were previously on PI. You can take a look at Air~Fish and Garden Noms to see other premade markings, not based on PI genes. ^^

IvySpring

Oh wow! haha I just saw that event- I had been admiring the awesome colorings for a while, but couldn't figure out how they were doing it >_< so I opened the file- and I get it! Thanks so much! I'll definitely have to use that as a guide :] That makes things so simple! haha

Venus and Zephyr

IvySpring

Okay- so I made up a template with all sorts of patterns, and I've updated the picture of the adult in the above post so people can see how it's looking. I hope it looks better :/ the stripes are the only thing I'm having a hard time with because I don't know how to edit brushes yet- but all the other patterns and markings I think came out ok. I'm going to start working on their basic information, etc.. then I'll probably hold an auction to see what people think? Any feedback is awesome! and thanks you guys that have commented already :]

Venus and Zephyr

indigowulf

those markings look nice :)

sorry I was offline a couple days- comp virus. Hopefully clear now, we shall see.

Anyway, with rotating stripes, Id make a fresh layer and put down a brush mark of stripes. The use the rotation tool, and use arbitrary rotation. Play around and see how it feels using it. Just remember, you can always control+z to undo anything, so dont be afraid to mess around.

I highly recomend making a new layer for each new thing you do. that way, you wont mess up any existing layers, and if you just hate the whole thing, delete that layer.

Once you've rotated the stripes to match anatomy, use the eraser tool to get anything out of the lines or anything not on the part you want. Make another new layer for each body section that needs a new direction. For example, maybe you want stripes on the legs to be horizontal and those on the face to be verticle. Just make them 2 different layers, rotate and resize to tase, and erase the extras.

It sounds complicated, but it's easy to do once you get the feel for it. youtube and the gimp website both have great use tutorials that can show you neat tricks and tips.

IvySpring

Ohhhh! I didn't even think about rotating the markings for stripes haha- I've already made a bunch of separate layers for the other markings, but I thought I'd have to find another brush or create a brush of some kind to do the stripes :P but your way sounds much easier ;) haha I'll definitely give that a try! Thanks muchly! :D

Venus and Zephyr