News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

What breed for my secondary. kennel breed.

Started by Orchid, June 05, 2010, 12:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchid

Ive decided the 6 above breeds are going to be my base for which i decide. I love all the breeds for one reason or another, most of them are larger breeds however theres a medium and smaller one mixed in there.

I honestly cannot make up my mind for the life of me, i know theres a few other useres that major in a couple of the breeds which sort of turns me away on them because id like to bring up the population in a couple other breeds before adding to others but some of those breed lines are just to die for and having more of them around should make it easier to acquire them.

Ill give this a week or so and at the end of that week the breed with the highest vote count will be my major breed.

EDIT:After looking at AKC standards the only breed i seen that would fit the bill as my first or major breeeding/contesting dogs were the afghan hounds. Though i think ill specialize in afghans and spend most my time with them, that id like to have either a second kennel or a secondary breed as pet quality only dogs.

The others i may just collect as pets ><

Orchid

YourLoveOnly

Scottish Terriers need more love. But to be honest I think you'd have a very very hard time finding new homes for spare puppies. I always had that problem and it made me so sad I gave up on the breed.

I vote Afghan Hounds! <3 I've been slowly converting people to love them and get into them when they really didn't want another breed XD

Orchid

Yes YLO i was eyeballing your scotties up for bid just because if i dont use them as a main ill use them as pet quality breeds. Afghans have such a lovely coat, and naturaly come in such lovely colors and they would make a great major breed for my kennel :D It looks as if though the cattle dog is in demand, and honestly i wouldnt mind breeding them myself as i had them as a child and they make great companions! I would breed mostly merles if i had them, probably make mated pairs by doing merles and bi coloreds with white ^^ seeings as merles bred together do not always end well for the kennel.

I will probably continue to eyeball you scotties btw until i can find something to offer for them >.>

YourLoveOnly

Not just for the Kennel, merle x merle in real life is just as dangerous.

My scotties are on hold for the lovely sera, but I fail and keep forgetting to actually give her my custom forms so we can trade XD

Too bad, I had hoped to see more people specialize in Afghans and not just have them as a pet breed. Cattle dogs aren't for me, but I know a lot of people love them so it's a good choice :)

Orchid

Oh the afghans are still a strong choice, more so because for my major breed id -like- to follow AKC standards for colorings. Afghans are open to just about anything aside from lots of white markings thus making them a nicer breed to keep around. The ACD is only known for the blue merles & red speckled verisons that you see in RL so even though the vote demand is high on them i may still lean towards an afghan hound.

My major breeders will be contested and only had to have a few pups per pair just to keep the lines unique and so on. My contract for selling puppies will be more based on keeping the lines unique and high quality (ie no inbreeding, over breeding, breeding for just profit). Ill honestly probably use smaller beds, just so if i cant find all the puppies homes in fanciful places (such as your kennel as you seem to keep rather good track of your animals :D), ill keep them if not and not have to worry on them being overflowed into back into the kennel where i dont have a choice where they will go >< Such detailed planning and i have not even one dog to my name..i shall have to stalk for tags or puppies outta your dogs!

Orchid

YLO you'll be happy to know that between you and the akc standards ive been swayed into my major breed being afghan hounds :D With lovely lines, not so many here on secundi and a great color spectrum i shall feel best with these guys!

Ill leave the poll up for secondary non contesting pet quality breeds.

YourLoveOnly

Afghans are a large breed, so pretty please do not use a small bed as you may only get one puppy O.o
Buuut if you contest and get them lots of points first then you could get a much bigger litter in which case smaller bed may be good.

I bred my chihuahuas using a small bed and got 6 pups instead of 3 because of their points. If I had used a large bed I might not have been able to rehome them all O.o

Orchid

Well maybe not small beds but i would hate to have extra pups and not be able to find them perfectly awesome homes that im happy with. Ill probably use medium beds because im going to try not to keep my own bred lines in my kennel (though b-e-a-utiful puppies may change this) just to keep from inbreeding or over running with afghans, 1-2 puppies are easier to find homes rather then 3-4. And as i do plan to compete ALOT i assume i will collect points and end up with more puppies to a litter.

and O.o 6 pups outta a chi wowza. I personally do not like the breed, i rescued one a few years back the thing was just a mess. He was hateful and timid and bit everyone, and the rescue had told me that his past owner was an older woman whom had passed but his life before the shelter had been a very nice quite one so i dont see why he had any reason to have a tude.

Orchid

But anywho YLO i hate to leave you here alone on secundi but im uber tired (its 5:17 am  :-\)

So farewell to you and i look forward to sharing my afghans with you when i get them  ;D

Math

Well, as a secondary breed, what about NSDTRs? :)

springacres

Of the ones you named, my vote goes to Aussies.  They need more love. :D