News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

[PonyVille] Seeking colorists! - New Question!

Started by Solistia, February 13, 2011, 12:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solistia

Coming soon to a Secundi near you!

So a little pet project that's extremely easy to template that I've been plugging away at here and there. (I say easy to template but actually working with it is another story XD). Haven't made a baby yet, but I've made the female and male, so we're off to a good start! As some may know, I'm a huge MLP fan, part of why I joined PI, and the new show is just as good as the old one (and the art style is super fun!!), and I've seen some other people around here who are also fans, so I figured I'd bring these here to the much smaller and more manageable community of Secundi.

Both genders have a variety of options which include Manes, Tails, Eyes, Ears, Legs, Mouths, and breed-specific appendages (Unicorn and Pegasus). The baby pony (when I make it) will not be nearly as customizable as the adults.

PonyVille will also stay in the realm of canon for MLP:FiM as far as pony species go (so only earthy, unicorn, pegaus, and alicorn unless a new episode proves otherwise) [sorry to all those who wanted PurrPonies and MerDragons and such |D;;;]

Since Special talents are very important to each pony, the cert will list up to 3 talents (space permitting). I am not sure if any sort of RP will be incorporated into these, but if there is, I am certain perks will be obtainable from it :3

Still, I don't normally have too much time outside of AAA  to do things with other adoptables other than a couple part time side jobs. Thus, colorists are much needed!

Requirements
A CS version of photoshop (or program that can support psd files AND folders in folders) - GIMP will NOT work with the template, neither will the earlier versions of photoshop.
Good color sense - You should be good at blending colors, and find good compliments and contrasts. Eye blinding designs can be just a little too much.
The ability to cert - Colorists will cert their own work (I'm working on simplifying the massive amount of layers in the cert to make it easier to work with @__@)

The other major requirement, is to be able to draw the Cutie Marks based on either a pony's name, owner's text directions, or image reference. This is where the colorist test will come from.

Using the test image, you will need to create 3 examples based on the following criteria:
1) Make a Solistia pony (Reference)
2) Make a Pony based on the name "Buttercup"
3) Make a Pink-bodied pony with White and light pink hair, and purple eyes. Give her a creative heart-themed cutie mark.

Test Image: http://lasolistia.com/ponyville/test.png
(Remember to color the lines!!!)

Other than those 3 example you can feel free to show off work from other adoptables that you've made, but only those examples are required :3

I will accept applications until such a time as I have a sufficient amount of colorists!

Willow

I think this is great, but sadly I can't open folders :L
I'll watch with interest ^^
~Willow

YourLoveOnly

Sadness that they don't work with GIMP. I do have Photoshop now, but I still don't really like working with it. I will defenitely stalk the adoptable though! And be sad that there will be no butterfly wings, because I doubt Hasbro will ever make those XD *wants a Mesa*

I do have my doubts about using that name on PI, as that is a copyright Hasbro name and I have seen adoptables or artwork that used iPod and My Little Pony in their names get deleted before. Dunno how Secundi rules are regarding that, but on PI I am pretty sure you cannot run them under this name =(

Solistia

I checked over the Secundi rules but didn't see anything about adoptables of this nature (so unless I hear otherwise, I'm guessing it's okay). And in my mind, PI itself is a huge copyright infringment I mean...they are Little Ponies XD
But whatever |D

I'm perfectly fine with PonyVille only staying on Secundi and other smaller sites :3

YourLoveOnly

XD Yeah I know, but PI rules can suck like that :P We all know it x3
I might try to see how well Photoshop and I get along after I am done with my Valentine Events in a few days. I also wouldn't mind to run events and let other people be the colorists, just thought I'd throw that idea out there. *likes events*

p.s. Soli should check AAA PMs, YLO needs assistance! =3

PonyMama

sadly only have the ps7
and with Octopuss, Orlaya and Mertopia and then Lumi with YLO I may already be overworked

However I may wanna try and color a couple now and then when I need a break, so I may do your tester

YourLoveOnly

Oh wait, if that photoshop doesn't work then I can't try either, sorry Soli =(
I have the same one PM does, but you knew that already xD

Sunchaser

can i ask why it doesnt work in gimp? Usually even with folders what gimp does is open up the folders and just makes lots of layers <.<

YourLoveOnly

@Sun: No it doesn't, it does turn them into layers but it messes up transparency and placement and other stuff. The most common thing is that stuff goes out of the lines, which is fixeable if you're patient, but things like partially transparent layers can/will mess up too *glares at Luminaria cert that will NOT work with GIMP no matter how you try it*

Sunchaser

ah didnt know that ^_^ im new to gimp still lol. Im used to using PS7 or Elements.

Pinkshadow

Solistia

Yes, the base has a ridiculous amount of folders, and folders within folders within folders XD

If people are interested in seeking an alternative program to be able to color these, fling me a PM and I may be able to make a few suggestions :3

hiyoko

These are soo cute, I want a few dozen!^^ but I can't help, I just have GIMP :(

toffeeca

They look amazing. I want some! I also have gimp and my coloring skills are not on par with the examples. Hopefully you can find someone soon. :)

red_uni387

:O you are making them into an adoptie?! WANT.

i have cs3, but lack time and coloring skills near the level you need Dx

Ryuukokoro

These are totally amazing. >.> And Ryuu loves the MLPonies sooo much. But don't really need another shop on my shoulders.... XD;;

*waits to see if anyone else is interested!*

kunaisa

Solistia

QUESTION
Would people prefer that in things like Flatsales/Raffles/Auctions with already adult ponies that they not have a Cutie Mark predrawn and can be designated one by you, or that they already have a Cutie Mark made?

I am planning to let people purchase items to let them design a simple or elaborate Cutie Mark, or choose for free to let the artist do one inspired by the pony's name, but had assumed it would only be for baby ponies growing up, then started to wonder if people would prefer adults one way or the other.

So your input would be great :3

I am also going to encourage more...My Little Pony-esque names (like Twilight, Firefly, Pinkie Pie) over common names (like Bob or Rebecca) [not that you can't have common or fancy names, just less encouraged over Pony-sounding names. I can understand that ponies modeled after characters or personas should be named as such :3]

YourLoveOnly

I think for flatsales predrawn, for auctions designated by you, for raffles let the colorist choose what they want or do a mixture of both types (a colorist might want to do a themed raffle instead of a themed flatsale).

I will color samples once I am done playing catchup with my Vday events xD

I have a question in return: Will there will always be cutie marks only to stay true to the MLP FiM style? Or will full body patterns and such also be available as customs (you could explain them as elebarote TAF designs I suppose)?

Solistia

Things like TAF (Twice-As-Fancy, for non MLP-tards like myself XD) would definitely be within the realm of Cutie Marks :3 (just not as common as simple styled ones). Those would fall under the "Elaborate" Cutie Mark designation (along with highly detailed but small area Cutie Marks)

YourLoveOnly

I know, but some full body patterns might not be realistic TAF. Like if someone wants a belly marking, that is not something TAF ponies ever had, they basically just had symbols more scattered out. So I wanted to know if there were limitations on markings or if any markings can offered (although more rare of course). I personally don't mind if I wouldn't get all my characters because of limitations, but I have been chatting with others about this (we are all so excited! XD) and I know someone wondered about an animal mimic so I figured I would ask.

I want to get my Vday stuff done.. I wanna color for these >w<

PonyMama

if it wasn't for those folders in folders
*loves SOli lines*

Solistia

I will be allowing all sorts of markings and such on ponies that would not be considered normal for ponies (like you can see Solistia's leg fade, and Seth's body pattern), a Cutie Mark will just be on top of that, the body marking stuff won't be considered being part of the Cutie Mark (it's separate).

Heeheehee, /snuggles PM >w<

YourLoveOnly

Okay, all clear :D

I am sooo excited about these >w< But must be nice and finish stuff for other people before my own fun stuff 8D

Solistia

Yeah, you can see on Seth's Cutie Mark gem on his cert it only has the Q♠ on it, when his body has some of those dark brown markings directly behind the Cutie Mark :3

So of course customs will be more expensive the father away from normal MLPs you get, but it's all still doable :3 (because I think working with fantasy colors and fun patterns will be nice >w< )

Unheard Silence

Ooh, this is something I'm stalking for sure! I hope you can find a good colorist. I would apply, but I'm worried about my skills when it comes to designing cutie marks.  :P

Goddesss

Oh I really like these.  I have CS3 I wonder if I should apply.

Solistia

Well, worst that could happen is you're not selected right? So why not! =D

sera

sera /is/ still interested, and needs to poke you about something. |D <3