News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

We've lost that lovin' feelin'

Started by TheKennel, April 21, 2011, 05:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheKennel

Goddesss

I love the banner.  I would love to have the ribbons and banner on them. =)

Though that being said I dont think its necessary.  It would be a ton of work.  You could put the banner and such in the agency info.

TheKennel

Same process would be involved:

edit critter #18038248320 via the agency panel

add in the images (which would have to be located elsewhere, and if the champ banner is personalized then it would have to be uploaded every time) in the agency info

or edit the master file and just re-upload a new image

or *adds a new option to the poll*

Ryuukokoro

To re-upload all the Kennel dogs that are already on Secundi would be TONS of work. More work, I would say, than PI was asking you to do when they wanted you to recolor all the dogs you'd done at that point. 0_o Considering that, I would say it's insanity to go back and add the certs in now. And it would just look weird to have some without certs and the ones 'from now on' having certs.

That being said, I really do like the personal items (especially the Champion banner! I have a girl who needs hers, and some others do too! :D ). So I voted for option 1, with the stipulation that personal items would go in the Agency Info box.

Kadana Sorano

I voted Option 1.  I admit when we first came to Secundi I was sad to see the old certs go.  but I understood the reason for it.  And it isn't like I don't love my doggies without their houses.  It's just that the certs were well done, and a beautiful backdrop to showcase the dogs; and I hated to see the artwork lost. 

I'm quite used to how things are now, and am perfectly happy to continue on as we are currently.  I wouldn't mind having a champion banner for the dogs that have earned it, or will earn it.  And (I think, but might be wrong) there weren't a whole lot of dogs currently with champ status, so maybe that wouldn't be as much trouble as trying to add all the certs back on.  That's just too much, and I wouldn't wish the job on anyone.

Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Ryuukokoro

lol! I totally forgot but yes, I felt just like Kadana! When I first joined Secundi I was like "Noooo the beautiful certs are gone!" Because yes the artwork is really good. But now I'm used to it and don't miss them much.

We've been putting personalized champ packs and comp ribbons in the agency info spot anyway, and if we add Champion banners there, that willgive the dogs individualization that the original certs were doing. ^_^

TheKennel

All right, as I'm finishing up Rav's new Stable breeds, I'm trying to think of things that might help me run the Kennel alone.

(This scares the pants off me because the Kennel was NEVER intended to be run by one person. And yes I have Lectral, but Lectral has the Cattery + real life, and I have a hundred other things + real life, so together we make basically one person)

So, the ideas:

No more beds
- Honor old beds and their effects but in the future have a complete removal of beds so all that doesn't confuse Garney with the +1 -1 whatever, which worked very well when it was mostly by hand and the puppies plopped in the beds, but is now relatively outdated.

No more puppies
- Have some sort of text based breeding instead of puppies, like the Quinsta - while VERY lovely in theory and a serious cut down of work, this does stray away from the Kennel mission and thus Garney doesn't like it very much. This would also mean that new breeds are immediately breedable instead of waiting on my slow butt to make puppy linearts.

Generated dogs
- Automatically generated custom dogs, like the Horses. This would NOT replace tags or customs, just a quick and easy way to have some new relatively basic dogs with common markings.

Derp... back to thinking XD

Goddesss

I love the banners and had been looking forward to them.  I would like to change my vote to keep things how they are and move on.  As far as changes to the way things are run I think everyone would agree whatever changes you need to make to keep TheKennel going and keep you sane would be best.  If it means having to give up things we would still have TheKennel and we all love it.

Ryuukokoro

I dunno if you were just stating your ideas or if you actually wanted feedback on them? ^^;; If not, sorry and ignore my blabber mouth. >.>

Beds: I think this sounds like it would work great and I think it should be implimented as soon as possible. Actually I'm the one who proposed this idea to Taru back when she was trying to run the Kennel by herself for some time, to make breeding easier for her. I pointed out that The Kennel always tried to be a realistic adoptable, so beds never really made sense anyway because in real life buying a bigger bed for your pregnant dog will not get you more puppies. XD But Taru didn't take the idea because she thought you were firm on your opinion of wanting the beds.

No more puppy lineart: The puppy lineart is FRICKEN CUTE and it would seriously be a blow to have them removed, but for one person trying to keep up with the demand of Kennel breedings (which were always the biggest and most time-consuming trouble with this shop) I think a description-based breeding system would be easiest.

Generated Dogs: I would complete and 100% nix this idea. That's just my personal opinion of course, but this shop's individual pets, each dog unique and special, has always been the Kennel's biggest attraction. Generated dogs with premade markings puts them more on the level of the Gidgets, with many that will end up looking the same, stamped over and over again. If you put it to a vote and I get outvoted I will gladly take it back, but I'd bet a lot that people would rather see each Kennel dog unique and have them come out slowly than have a bunch of templated dog markings. Plus it would take quite a while for Silvanon to code all that so for a while we wouldn't be seeing these templated-marking dogs anyway. Much better to put that time and effort into making more doggies! ^^

Just my two cents on the ideas stated so far! I agree some drastic changes need to be made to the Kennel if you are intent on running it yourself rather than hiring new staff.

PonyMama

I agree, just add the things into the agency info box.  I do like my dogs as is, and I think for my pack it would be insane, and I know many people have large packs or multiple ones

and I agree with what Ryuu said 100%
yes the puppy line art is cute, but for one person I could see how a description would be easiest.

springacres

As is is fine with me.  I know just re-editing my dogs would be a ton of work, and my kennel is small to medium sized compared to some people's.  The cert was nice, but I understood the need to remove it.

I WOULD however like to see earned ribbons and champ banners added to the Agency Info box.

Puppy lineart and beds aren't a huge issue for me.  Yeah, puppies are cute and it is nice to be able to see what your dog looked like as a puppy versus as an adult, but I also find myself liking the Quinsta way where you don't know -exactly- what you're getting until it shows up in your account as an adult.  So I'd be happy with whichever is easiest for you guys.
And I don't feel like we really need beds as such, either, now that the litters aren't being certed with the beds used as a background.

Auto-generated dogs - I am very much against this option.  As Ryuu said, one of the attractions of The Kennel has been how each dog is unique, even in the case of breeds with a limited range of standard colors.  I feel like this would take a great deal away from the value of the Kennel to have this be an option.

Neocridders

*points to above*
All that up there about keeping dogs without certs, getting rid of beds is good idea, puppies are cute but understanding if they are gone, and not having generated dogs...
Yeah. I'd explain, but people have already said how I feel almost exactly, so hey, why clutter your brain with more words?

:) * major hugs*

Pinkshadow

Agrees with most thing said <3

No need to change it, and give yourself even more work sweetie ;)

Winged

I went for option one, but i would like to see all the items in the agency info box.

No more beds
I think this sounds like a good idea, and one that would cut down on work but not actually effecty us much.

No more puppies
This wouldn't be a huge issue to me, but i do love the puppy lines so would prefer for puppies to stay.

Generated dogs
I don't like this idea much, although it would be nice to have more kennel dogs quickly, they wouldn't be so special and unique then.
Owner of Gliders!

BabyKittenCandy

I think my thoughts have been echo'ed above by Ryuu and a few others. Getting rid of beds is np, having just puppy descriptions is just fine and dandy, that is a pretty fun way to do it. The puppy lines are adorable but we need to be sensible with it all.

Generated dogs, as mentioned, part of the joy of the kennel is the uniqueness of the dogs.  If the generated route can be avoided I would say to try to.

Items added to the agency info would be great imo :)

Neocridders

Idea! Maybe special cases get puppies?
Like USD specific orders specifically to get puppies? That would be less work for you and people could still orderpuppies sometimes?

Kahlira

I know I would love to get into theKennel. I have, like one dog I got from Sunny. (2 more too, but they're awaiting importing, so yeah) So whatever is easiest for you is my honest opinion. Granted I believe I do have a couple of champ packs, and I believe a tagit (It's a puppy in a box. I think?) in my inventory. Just never seemed to get around to events myself when you were on PI (Yes, I believe my items would have to be imported)

Yes, I like any idea which is less work for the artist <3 But what everhoone said, go for presentation box for their awards. Which would be cool =D

Kadana Sorano

No more beds:  I have no objection to this at all.  Since the puppies no longer go on the bed image anyway, it doesn't seem like it would matter for the beds to be taken out of the mix.  And I'd even go so far as to say I;d be a bit happier, not having to try and remember which breeds are which size to use with which bed size.  It's something I always forgot and had to try and look up at the last minute when breeding slots opened.

No more puppies: As with the old certs, I LOVE the puppy line arts.  I would be sad to see them go.  They are just adorable, and add that extra bit of fun to breeding.  However.. Like the old certs, I think if puppy line arts were done away with, I would become used to it soon enough.  Especially if it meant less time and trouble for you and you could enjoy the kennel with us more.  So if you feel nix'ing puppy arts will help, then I say go for it.

Generated Dogs: Auto generation = yes please!

I guess I'm in the minority, but I do love this idea.  I think people are wrong about losing unique coloration's, since you said they would not replace tags and customs.  So, in my opinion, we don't lose tags/customs, but we get auto generation.. just seems like an added bonus to me.  And anyway the kennel is a realistic adoptable?  Well, in real life there are tons of dogs that look the same.  So generated dogs would, I think, add a bit more to the realism.  Yes, you may end up generating a dog you love to pieces, then someone else generates it as well.. but you can still get custom dogs if you want uniqueness.  And, as long as the auto generation is limited to breed colors/markings, and non standard colors/markings are only attainable through customs, I think you could still get those unique dogs.

Auto generation just seems like a win for everyone.  More people can get dogs at the rate they want, but leave kennel workers not stressed and bogged down with us all yammering for customs 24/7.  Which would let workers have some breathing space, relax, and be able to enjoy bringing us customs when they chose to do so.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

YourLoveOnly

No more beds: No problem, go ahead. I agree with Ryuu that it didn't add to the realism, so I don't think it will be a big deal to have them gone.

No more puppies: The puppy linearts are cute, but I could live without them as others said, but I do find the picking-from-description thing very difficult because with Quinsta we are all used to the names of each coat and I think there are also fewer pattern options than TheKennel has so it's easier to imagine how a Quin will look. With TheKennel I think that will be much harder, especially since there are dogs that mimic other animals like guinea pigs, african wild dogs, goats and deer.

My suggestion would be that you get adult dogs right away instead of puppies and then have x-amount of days to trade away any extras you have before they go back to TheKennel account. Exactly like it is now, except without puppy images. I think you can just put them in the growing system and let it grow to the same image so it has the auto-reposses feature if you keep too many, but I am not 100% sure of this. However, if it does work that seems like a great solution and it saves you even more time because you don't have to think up descriptions!

Generated dogs: I am against this, for the same reasons mentioned before. In regards to what Kadana says, I agree that there are a ton of black bi-color dogs out there for example, but usually the patches aren't exactly in the same place and two dogs would not look exactly alike. If you template patterns they will look exactly the same. The pro of it is that there will be more common dog colors instead of the super rare fancy things people tend to order as customs, but I think flatsales with more common dog colors could do that too without the cons that the generating thing has for me.

Edit: Certs: I would leave them as is with the items edited into the Agency Info box. Perhaps just use the generic colors for champ packs and stuff without the custom options, that should save quite a bit of time and I think people prefer more doggies over personalized items. I loveloveLOVE the cert but as someone else mentioned having some with and some without wouldn't look right and redoing the cert on ALL the current dogs is an insane amount of work, so just leave it as it is <3

TheKennel

Pretty well decided that dogs will stay as is with things in the agency box

and beds are going to go byebye

not yet decided on the puppies

auto generating dogs seems like a lot of work for very little benefit, it would be incredibly time consuming to marking template all the breeds we have, unlike horses where there's one standard pose

yes it would cut down a little, but I can probably make a hundred tri color dogs in the time it would take to template

SO I believe there will be a short april clean up of things and I'll shoot for fully opening all features in May... hopefully XD

Neocridders

Garney

*escapes kennel account* Need views on my pokemons XD

Winged

Yay, that sounds great! Congrats on managing to get most of it up by now :)
Owner of Gliders!

Garney

Been cleaning up the websites of my adopties, not just kennel, tweaking things, moving as much as possible into the agency pages so there's less leaving Secundi.

Kennel is a big site though *pokes through it*