News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Favorite Horse Breeds?

Started by Silvanon, April 02, 2010, 10:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanon

^__^  Thanks for all the comments everyone!  I'm so pleased to have been able to work out a deal with the Gavanian government to bring to you all some of their beautiful horses.  They want me to get up an official website before any of the horses go to a new home, and there's some red tape to get through concerning breedings, but one way or another we'll definitely get things worked out so everyone can enjoy these beauties.  

*The horse man nods emphatically to each point, then addresses those gathered.  He speaks clearly, with only the tiniest of accents:*  "I look forward to working with you all and hope you will find great enjoyment in owning and raising some of our quinsta."

red_uni387

oh I'm sure everyone will enjoy working with these beautiful quinsta, Mr. Horse Man :D

Silvanon

The man appears pleased (it's sort of hard to tell, actually, with his face hidden, but he somehow gives off an impression of being pleased).  He gives a slight bow to red_uni and replies, "Thank you.  If you prefer, my name is Ethendil."

Silvanon looks a little surprised that Ethendil has chosen to reveal his name, but then shrugs her shoulders and continues what she was doing.

YourLoveOnly

The horses found so far look gorgeous. Gypsy Vanners are defenitely my favourite breed.
And I'm surprised shetland ponies aren't mentioned more often =o

Scullisto

*Curls up next to the gypsies and purrs*

Pinkshadow

Omg they are soo beautiful <3

*Carefully pets the pretty Gypsy Vanner*

Quinsta

The Gavanian Quinsta Outreach Program: Adopting Quinsta Off-world since 2010.

SeaCrest

One of your FAQ questions is missing the Q: part in front of it...

"Can I charge stud/RB fees to let other people use my quinsta in breedings?"

Also, how do we obtain Quinsta? It doesn't say so in the writeup :)

toffeeca

My favorites are defiantly  Friesians

sera

Looking very nice, Silv and Ethendil!  i'm super excited about this project! ^^  i love how the breeding season will go; we get the experts on our side! ^^

red_uni387

It says no for the can we get customs question, does this mean we can never specifically ask for a horse of a certain coat or does it mean asking if we can get a custom will get you a no? :)
and as these quinsta are the same breeds from Earth, I assume we can name them? Do they have a naming rule like the Painted Unis?
I only see mention of trading or selling foals, is it okay to gift occasionally?

*nods to Ethendil* Will you be helping to raise foals?
Are males affected the more they are bred in one season?

sorry for all the questions, I'm excited XD

Fwuffly

Sounds interesting - is inbreeding a problem as I see that stallions are rewarded for the more offspring they have?  Off course I'm not saying I'd inbreed but it may happen if your not careful the longer the lines.

indigowulf

Oooh good question Fwuffy!

Seacrest, Im willing to bet there will be an event or 3 where we can aquire them before the first breeding season rolls around.

Silvanon

I've updated the writeup to address the questions you've brought up.  Thanks everyone!  Let me know if you have more questions!

Fwuffly

I really like the idea of having to breed your dream horse so that customs are out!  Sounds like a challenge :)

red_uni387

and it also means you have to figure out genetics! :D or guess XD

I don't see an answer to my naming question, or my gifting question, or answers to my questions to Ethendil though

indigowulf

Mmm that means I wont be able to get my Sheena mimic, because there's no coded genetics being used for pangaré.

Quinsta

Silvanon ribs Ethendil into paying attention to red_uni's question.  She repeats it for him, and he then turns to red_uni and replies, "I apologize for my inattention.  I'm afraid I'm quite busy coordinating the outreach program, and with other duties back on Gavania, however I hope to be able to at least oversee the descendants of my own quinsta's lines."

(I've added FAQ's for your other questions red, sorry for missing them!)
The Gavanian Quinsta Outreach Program: Adopting Quinsta Off-world since 2010.

red_uni387

(It's fine, I know my post was all squashed together xD)

By coordinating do you mean helping to import quinsta or orgnizing the actual program?

and in response to indigo's comment, might occasionally horses with pangare be imported? Will the pattern pass down even with no code for it? I believe I remember reading in a stable thread that Rav adds pangare if the parents have it :)

edit: oh when the horses start arriving and finding homes, will we only be knowing the coat terms or the full genetic string?

edit again: I'm also curious as to whether it will be harder to breed one gender or the other. Will it be a 50/50 chance with breeding and events?

last edit for this post I promise XD
will a breed always result in one offspring or are twins possible?

Poupou

I would have to go with Gypsy Vanners.. they're my all time favorites. :D

red_uni387

I never realized how many people liked Gypsy Vanners lol

and Silv I added 3 more questions to my post above XD

indigowulf

lol silly red. Next you'll want to know the meaning of life!

Even if I cant get a Sheena from breeding, I still adore these. Ill totally need some!

red_uni387

I is excited, it's gypsy vanners >>
plus I already know that, it's 42! :D

are there any other genetics colors not included?

indigowulf

Rabinco or however that's spelled, sooty/smutty (which brindle is a sub pattern of), champagne, pearl/barlink, pangare/mealy, and Brown- there could be more but I know those at least.

for the record, the only of those the ranch includes are pangare and brown. so the codes arent too far off :) theres almost 3/3 genetic horsey breeds using the same thing. And Im not nice enough to give you the N/n genetic marker for determining appy patterns.

Silvanon

Red - when choosing horses you'll be told the phenotypes (visible color & patterns) but not the genotypes.  Genders will be 50/50, although an imbalance in gender distribution of kept horses may occur, if people prefer to keep one gender over the other.  Twins will be exceptionally rare, although possible.

Brindles aren't coded for, as well as some of the more obscure types of appaloosa, and probably some other things that I can't think of right now.

I have decided to make leg and facial markings, and temperment, somewhat inheritance based.  It won't be strictly genetic, and I won't be revealing the exact system, but you'll notice that certain types of markings and dispositions run in certain lines.

I'm currently working on some background coding that will make running this adoption feasible for me, and once that's done there'll be some quinsta up for adoption in the General Booths forum. :)

red_uni387

awesome, more genetic-y stoofs~ I'll be sure to watch for how markings are inherited aswell :D

wow you work fast o.o

Ravvana

Quote from: Silvanon on April 05, 2010, 10:00:45 PMI'm currently working on some background coding that will make running this adoption feasible for me, and once that's done there'll be some quinsta up for adoption in the General Booths forum. :)

*cheers* :)

Luckily solid bay shouldn't be too hard to breed for, compared to some colors... although getting the socks and facial markings in the right spots may prove difficult >.> The added challenge of getting "customs" is rather exciting, though :D

red_uni387

It is! I don't have a dream horse in a sense (other than the standard piebald horse I always name Painted Desire) but it'll be fun trying to get stable mimics :)

What do you mean by temperment will be genetically inherited though? I don't get what it has to do with coat colors xD

Ravvana

Haha, that means I will need to add "lazy athletic puppy-dog" to the list of requirements for future Sean XDD

Silvanon

Temperment has nothing to do with coat colors.  (At least that I'm aware of. *lol*)  It does have everything to do with how dreamy a dream horse actually is - sometimes the gentle willing mud-colored horse is a better choice than the gorgeous Tobiano who's so flighty you don't dare take him anywhere.  ;)

Ravvana

I know that red-based horses sweat more than black-based horses, but that is the extent of my interesting horse genetic facts XD

red_uni387

o.O that's not just interesting, it's plain weird lol

but I see what you mean Silv, yay for the added challenge of breeding temperment! :D