News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Photography

Started by skysnolimit, February 18, 2014, 06:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skysnolimit

I have a new DSLR that I love photographing wildlife with.  These are some photos that I took today... with a specific eye set toward Secundi.

What would you think about an adoptable that imports Earth animals to Secundi based on my own photographs vs. my own drawings?  (As in... I wouldn't draw, I would take pictures)

Pros off the top of my head:
I can actually do this
It's a great place to do something with my photographs
I love taking photographs
There would be far more of a "unique" feel for each adoptable, although (for instance) I might adopt out photos of the same animal in different poses and just call them siblings, or every once in awhile clone a specific creature and use its image again.

Also, would anybody else want to contribute photography as well?  Or maybe do organization of sorts?  One fun event that I'm thinking of is: a mystery critter gets imported to Secundi, and depending on how you've arranged your habitat it chooses who to live with.  Or a pick-a-door with like four doors in the forest and five in the desert, and you pick your door in a specific habitat to see what you get.

I also like the idea of "identify that bird" contests for the birds and such.

Do comment!  Thank you :)

Ryuukokoro

1.) Where do you live omg I am so jealous!! You took these TODAY? THIS is what it looks like today where I live!

Only more snow and more wind and various cars stuck in the median. :P

2.) I think your idea is very original! You take great photographs, you captured the subject of the photo each time in a way that my eye went right to them! And btw lizards are soooo cute! *hugs all the photos*

The only issue I really see is that, unlike adoptables, in nature most animals look pretty much all the same. I mean, to me all those photos above could have been of the same lizard. It all looks like the same animal to me. And I think that fact will make people lose interest quickly. People here like to collect unique and special creatures/characters, and if everyone gets a striped lizard guy, or a blue jay, or a cardinal, or a bumble bee, even if they are all different photos, I think you will find people lose interest because everyone ELSE also has a lizard, blue jay, cardinal, bumble bee, etc.

With adoptable shops like Quin and Untamed for example, each creature has a different coat, so we can all get unique looking critters even though the same lines are being used for each breed. But a picture of a blue jay is going to look like a blue jay no matter what.

I really do love the idea. If you had access to herds of wild horses or other species with different coats I think you would have a great idea for a shop, but I think with most wild animals, one basically looks the same as the other.

SkySong

I agree with Ryuu. It's an awesome concept, but I don't think it'd be able to work as an adoptable simply because of how similar most critters look. Great pictures, btw!
Adoptable threads: None currently ~ Trading thread: N/A ~ Breeding thread

LC Custom Status: Closed
LC Breeding Status: Closed

skysnolimit

Ryuu, that picture terrifies me!!!!!!!!!

I live in California.  And yes, I love the weather here.  Wherever you live looks very, very gray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And cold!  But I'm sure you love your home as much as I do?  :-)  *hugs all homes*

Thanks especially for the nice comments on the photos!  Nice comments are the most wonderful things.  *fluffs*

I completely understand your point about not being excited over a million gray lizards.  I wouldn't be either.  I was just really concerned about whether or not I could take wildlife photos that looked like cute adoptables, so I went outside today specifically to see if I could capture appealing pictures.  And actually, you're right: the subjects of those photos are just one bee and two lizards, hehe.

Since it sounds like you like the pictures themselves and are just not so excited about the content, I'm going to go out on a limb here.

Actually, I live in China for most of the year and travel a lot.  Would it influence your decision if you knew that all of the following photographs were by me and I hope to be photographing the same wide variety of species for Secundi as exhibited in these photos?  [The only difference between these old photos and the photos I'd hope to capture for use on Secundi are that I would frame them to look like cute adoptables instead of scenes, and I would take the pictures using my nice new camera so that they're much higher quality]

-my old pictures, taken with a point-and-shoot-

-pictures I took with a DSLR that belonged to GlacierWorks.com, so I wouldn't feel comfortable using them here but would definitely take similar photos as soon as I get back to China-

-pictures that I took a few days ago with my new DSLR that I'm including because it shows how pretty even ordinary birds can be-

There would be common species, of course, like the lizards.  I could adopt out a number of those because obviously I can take lots of unique photographs of those.  But, say, after somebody adopted a certain number of lizards, then maybe they would be eligible to adopt a photo of a feral cat that survives on lizards.  Or, for instance, after somebody adopted a certain number of bees, then they would be eligible to adopt a bird, or something like that.  The rarer birds would only each get to be adopted by a few Secundians--maybe only one user, if I can only get one good photograph of the bird--adding to the feeling of excitement and rareness that does wonders for collections!  Then, only if that user consented to cloning (probably collecting a nice trade fee for it, too) would somebody else be able to get a member of that species.

Sunchaser

just a note LOVE THE FISH and its nice i can name them to lol You rock!

Winged

Hmm, interesting idea. I'm not really sure about how well it would work, at first my impression was that it wouldn't work but i love your photos so i'd like to see you make it work! And i like your ideas you've put out there :)
Owner of Gliders!