News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

[Quinsta] Friesian breeding projects?

Started by Winged, April 20, 2011, 03:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winged

I was wondering if there are currently projects for getting all the genes into friesians, or if there are any left? I'm pretty sure that there are already projects underway for cream, roan and dun, and probably those projects might also chesnut or agouti genes. And there are probably projects for appaloosa, tobiano, overo and silver dapple.
But i'm not sure if there are projects for grey, white or flaxen (which would be a tricky one since you couldn't tell if it passed unless the foal was chesnut... i think)

I have a grade that is only 50% friesian, and she is buckskin. So i wouldn't want to breed another cream. I have a first gen friesian mare that i'd like to use to start a new project.

So yeah, any suggestions?
Owner of Gliders!

Neocridders

I've got atleast two projects currently. I'm about  halfway through a project with brown into freisians.
I'm about a quarter done with a blue dun gruello tabiano project with friesians.

And I just won a first gen grade, I'll probably use her with freisians.

Ryuukokoro

I'm working on blue roan into Friesians. ^_^

Dunkel.Prinzessin204

I'm working on breeding dun into them. But that's about it.

jojo

I'm working on Overo. I just need one more breed. :)

Alnaeyah

I am working on Silver Dapple and hopefully this season will finish it. ^^

toffeeca

Red and I are working on appy to fresians :)

Nighthenge

Seems to me there is a project for introducing grey out there.  Keilin Alyr's IIRC.

Keilin Alyr

Quote from: Nighthenge on April 20, 2011, 07:45:35 PM
Seems to me there is a project for introducing grey out there.  Keilin Alyr's IIRC.

Yup, my Aurora. =)

I also have a 2nd gen Grade boy showing roan and silver dapple. My Friesian breeding plans include introducing white as well as finally starting a long-term double-cream project. Haven't had much success on the latter yet, but I'm working on it.

I don't think it hurts to have multiple people working on simultaneous overlapping trait introductions though, especially for traits like cream and chestnut.

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

Nighthenge

Quote from: Keilin Alyr on April 20, 2011, 07:58:08 PM
Quote from: Nighthenge on April 20, 2011, 07:45:35 PM

Yup, my Aurora. =)introductions though, especially for traits like cream and chestnut.
Yay!  My memory is not completely shot yet \O/

Quote from: Keilin Alyr on April 20, 2011, 07:58:08 PM
I don't think it hurts to have multiple people working on simultaneous overlapping trait introductions though, especially for traits like cream and chestnut.
I agree.  If you are coming at the project from different foundation stock, it will provide more oportunities with less need of inbreeding down the line.

springacres

I'm working on dun, overo AND silver dapple.  (Though I'm still on Gen 1 with mine - I just happened to wind up with all three genes on the same mare.  Who also carries chestnut and flaxen.)

Winged

Good idea :) I think i'll work on a project with chesnut, and probably either roan, dun or app in there as well.
Owner of Gliders!