News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Help Figuring Out Genetic Code Please!

Started by red_uni387, March 03, 2010, 10:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_uni387

So I really like genetics and stuff (blame Silv hehe) and would like to know exact what each of my stable horse's genetic code is :D I believe I can do most of them by myself, but am stuck with Lost's code because she is grey.

when bred with YLO's Italian Radio, they produced this boy:

so I need some help figuring out what that means XD the only thing I can figure out is that Lost has overo somewhere...I think

PonyMama

As a base I do believe the first horse has a black base of Ee.
If it was able to produce a chestnut, but do not quote me on that as I am still trying to figure it out myself

red_uni387

couldn't she have a base of ee as well though? YLO's boy is, I believe, a buckskin, so confused on what base coat he has too xD

PonyMama

I wonder becasue I am not to sure of red bases can be grey to start, again could be wrong

Lectral

She could be Ee or ee, as she produced a chestnut.  

If the father of that foal was buckskin, he would be Ee for black, or he couldn't have had a chestnut foal.

The grey could be hiding anything at this point; you probably won't be able to narrow down which genes she has for sure until she has more foals

EE or Ee would be black based
ee would be chestnut based

EE or Ee + AA or Aa would be bay
EE or Ee + aa would be black
ee + AA or Aa or aa would all be chestnut, as agouti only affects the black base

Grey will affect any base color, and you can't always tell what base color they were by the shade they are - rose greys were not necessarily chestnut based.  the only way to tell what genes a grey horse has in real life is to get them tested XD

The buckskin would be cream on one of the bay bases, and since he produced a chestnut, it would have to be the Ee base, though his agouti factor could be AA or Aa. 

Silvanon

Lost:  ?? ?e ?c ?r ?d Gg ?w ?l ?t ?o ?? P? ?? ?? B?

No idea what agouti genes she has.  You know she carries a chestnut gene, you show she has a non-roan gene (from the baby) and a non-dun gene (from the baby) , she's got  one Grey gene and one non-grey gene (from the baby) , she's got a non-white gene, a non-appy gene (from the baby), no idea on the second appy gene, one no-tobiano gene (from the baby), one non-overo gene (two overo genes a dead horse make), one frame gene (from the baby), no idea on flaxen genes, no idea on silver dapple genes, and we know she has one non-fleabite gene.

red_uni387

PonyMama

see why I am having issues too?  And I have bred two foals only to get a curveball with both, one being a big curveball si I am lost.  maybe you can learn it and teach ti to me easier :)

red_uni387

I haven't done any extra research, but studied the website with the already simplified genetics XD

I think what you could do to learn it easier is to breed recessive gene horses, so they can't throw big curveballs :) like tobiano is simple, with only TT, Tt, or tt as possible genes

and thans for the help PM, lectral, and Silv :D I'll be breeding her again after she gets some points to see what else she carries ^^

PonyMama

I bred two black horses, and I would have enver guessed that they woudl produce anything but black, but guess what, I got chestnut. Got to love curveballs

best bet is to breed a couple times and really break it down to figure it out.  I am going to have to do that with each of mine (with help)

quyllur

When you breed two black horses and get a chestnut, you learn one thing about both of your blacks.  Each of them have Ee for the extension genes.

If either of the parents had EE for extension, you would always end up with a black based horse. 

E    |  E
E|    EE  |  EE
e|   Ee  | Ee

All of the above gene combinations would result in a black based horse.

E    |   e
E|  EE  |  Ee
e|  Ee  | ee

The above combination has a 1/4 chance of resulting in EE(black), a 2/4 chance of resulting in Ee(black) and a  1/4 chance of resulting ee (red)

The extension is the base colour of your horse and can be black or red.  Every other gene acts on the Extension gene as either a dilution (agouti, cream, dun, champagne etc) or a pattern (tobiano, frame, splash, appaloosa etc).