Looking for Gene Pool fish to breed (Breeding done. Thread closed.)

Started by Neocridders, January 31, 2010, 04:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neocridders

Well, looks like I was a little late and missed the first thread, and I feel a little confused.

111100^0000^1111101
020021-^021102-^001021-

I would love to find another fish to breed with, I suppose a female would be needed for my male.

I read it a couple times.
I am willing to pay for everything, as long as I get a few eggs. I am not sure how many eggs are given out with each breeding, but my  male can breed 3 times at most, and I am wanting to crack some codes. I am very interested in the lighter and orange body colors, and blue and lighter fin colors.
It seems the eye codes were about figured out.

I would love to somehow come across a mutation. But that is probably going to be a while to find out.

111100^0000^1111101
020021-^021102-^001021-

I am guessing one of the 0 or 1 in the most recessive end (if the right means most recessive of the category) are mutation trait spots.

That means, if anyone has a fish with zero spots where my fish's are not, there may be a mutation there... possibly? So if we can breed the fish and get all zeros up to the end (it may take a few generations) we could get a mutation somewhere in there. This is based on my guessing and of course that is most likely completely wrong!
Genetics facinate me, but I took biology last year and I am no expert.

So, if anyone has any ideas or wants to breed, let me know.
If you want an egg, depending on how many eggs, I will let you keep one.

Ahhh. I am a bit confused on the genetics so far, but I would love to discover something helpful here.
So, let me know if I can use a female of yours. If we are allowed to pay breeding fees, I of course am willing to pay 5-15k or more for the fish that could help me produce an egg that helps me to get that mutation.

If there is a mutation trait discovered, I of course will pay you extra for your help. I will pay you an additional 40k if your fish is the parent that produces a mutation baby :)

Thaaaank you :)

red_uni387

the top line is for mutations, and the middle spot (with the 0000) is for fin pattern mutations :)
the bottom line is for colors ^-^

sadly I don't have a female avaliable, so I can't help you there XD

Solistia

If I manage to snag the white female starter from Garneys Customs via Gene Pool, I'd be open to breeding her with yours (as he seems very light in color!)

Neocridders

Oh, thanks Red! :) Very helpful!

Quote from: Solistia on January 31, 2010, 05:01:22 PM
If I manage to snag the white female starter from Garneys Customs via Gene Pool, I'd be open to breeding her with yours (as he seems very light in color!)

Ooooh, a white starter would be magnificent!
I am extremely interested in lighter colors for the fish.
:)

Solistia

There's still a possibility I won't get the slot (so if you see another good breed offer, I say go for it, plus males can breed 3 times a spawning X3), so just keep all your options open just in case :3

I also like the brighter colors XD (it's why I bred my yellow/pink Roshan with a bunch of bright and warm colored girls this spawning XD)

EDIT: Looks like Spixy got to her before me XD BUT, she's looking for a breeding partner for her, and I recommended your guy B3

Neocridders

Aww. Sorry, but thank you ;)

A white female would be excelent to get the lighter colors I am aiming for, if that has anything to do with the genetics I am trying for.

Silvanon

I've been working on cracking the color codes, and I'm pretty certain that a 2 gene means the gene is visibly expressed (unless it's covered by something more dominant).   If the mutation genes follow the same pattern as the color genes (and I don't see why they wouldn't) then you want to shoot for 2's to have babies pop up with visible mutations.

Neocridders

Good point. But if some of the top codes are masking the mutation genes, I assume that those will need to be zero and the mutations will be the most recesive of all the traits. If somehow I can get the ones on the left to be zeros and the ones on the right to be 2, then I think I could get a mutation. But, that is assuming the most recessive ones are on the right and the most left number that is a 1 or 2 will be the visible gene.
I think those are masking the mutation spots... maybe?

ETA: Wait a second...

I am thinking of pinnit squares, and I remembered that when you fill out the squares, there are some traits that are homozygous dominent and recessive and heterozygous

What if the 1 means it is heterozygous, and 0 means it is homozygous recessive (and I am not really going with that one... it does not seem to work) and then the 2 means homozygous dominant?

I could be completely wrong here.

Silvanon

If I'm correct, and I'm about 99% sure on this one, then each digit represents a pair of genes, not just one gene.  That is to say, they represent a full locus, not just a single gene.  A 0 means two dominant genes, with dominant being "not expressed."  A 1 means one dominant and one recessive gene, so the trait isn't expressed, and a 2 means two recessive genes, and the trait is expressed.

Now, some loci are able to mask other loci, even when they would otherwise have been expressed.  For example, you could have a 2 in the Blue Eyes gene slot, and a 2 in the Red Eyes gene slot.  Both have two recessive "express" genes, but the eyes can't be red and blue at the same time.  In this case, the red will always mask the blue (that's a hint we were given, so it's certain) so the eyes are red.

Did I make sense?

Neocridders

I do think I understand.

but I do want to know if a 0 is two dominant (but not expressed) and a 1 is dominant and recessive, not expressed, and 2 is recessive and expressed, isn't it usually that if there are two dominant, then the trait is expressed?

Wait, let me see if I am understanding these genetics correctly.

If P is dominant, and p is recessive, would a single number stand for a PP, a pp, or a Pp?
Or if it is not, I am sorry... I completely misunderstood.
These terms escape me, I took genetics last year in advanced bio, but the terms are mostly gone from my memory.

Silvanon

P is dominant and means "this trait doesn't show."  p is recessive and means "this trait shows".

0 = PP  doesn't show
1 = Pp  doesn't show
2 = pp  shows (unless another gene covers it up from showing)

It happens in real life that "show this trait" is recessive.  For example, in gerbils, the schimmel gene, "ef" is recessive.  The dominant gene, E, makes a normal gerbil who is not schimmel.  If you get a gerbil with efef, then the schimmel shows, and you get a pretty gerbil who starts life orange and then fades into white with orange points.  (Seriously gorgeous color, wish it was dominant, you'd see it more!)

Like I said, I'm 99% positive that 2 means show.  And, it has to be recessives, because a 1 doesn't show, and neither does a 0.

Solistia

I'm also fairly certain 2 shows, since all the starters only have 1s and 0s in the top lines :3 (from what I can see X3)

Spixy

-jumps in thread-

Here's the female:

3 eggs in total, I'd like two as I've given away quite a few of my own already x3
I'll be paying the female fee.

Let me know ^^

Gene Pool

I will say, the 0, 1, 2 is a little off what you may expect if you study genetics in depth. It has a logic behind it, but possibly not the logic one would expect. Decides to make that the next hint someone recieves
This is DizzyFishClick DizzyFish for website!

Neocridders

Spixy : Could you post in the thread for our fish? I don't know how many eggs we get. If we get three, you may have two. If somehow we get a mutation (and that seems impossible because if your fish has 0 for everything, then the offspring in most odds will not be able to have more than a 1 in any gene spots.

I will pay, if you could message me and let me and let me know who to send money to and howm uch to send, that would be great. :)

If I receive a fish that has a mutation, though, from this breeding, I'll send over about 30k

:) But I don't think that will happen, I am still excited because I have a feeling the babies will be amazing in colors.

Spixy

Awesome :D
I'll go post now, you'll have to post for permission too.

You'll need to send 1000 to Gene Pool for the male breeding.

Haha xD I should aim for an albino fishie then!

Solistia

May I snag another breed with this girly?

=D (think their genes and colors would go well together X3)

Neocridders

Oh, sure :)
Love that fish a lot.
Hmm. I would like at least one egg from the breeding.
And if you could post the form, that would be great :)

I will send the money for both breeds to the gene pool account.

Spixy

You need to go and state you're giving permission for us to lend your male in the spawning thread x3

Neocridders