News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

New Quin Breeding Goal?

Started by Ravvana, September 02, 2011, 12:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravvana

My first big Quin breeding goal is wrapping up (fingers crossed!) next season. So I'm trying to decide what genetic challenge to try next :)

My first goal was to get roan tobiano Gypsy mares in the four basic colors: chestnut, black, bay, and brown.

Other goals I'm considering:
1. Dun overo Gypsy mares in the above four colors, with each type of overo appearing at least once. This would be not a super tough goal, since I already have a blue dun sabino and a red dun frame. Although yellow dun may prove tricky to breed given current Gypsy genes.
2. Cream tobiano Gypsies of either gender: palomino, buckskin, sooty buckskin, smokey black, cremello, perlino, and smokey cream. This would be a tough one, but also challenging and rewarding :)
3. Continuing the roan tobiano trend, I could continue getting other colors with these two modifiers. Ideally, a complete set would involve roan tobiano palomino, buckskin, sooty buckskin, smokey black, cremello, perlino, smokey cream, grey, red dun, blue dun, mouse dun, and yellow dun (and any more I'm missing). Although I think this goal might be a little intense and get tiring after a while...
4. Switch to Mustangs or Arabians and tackle one of the above projects, although Gypsies are my favorite project breed.
5. Other!

Thank you for your input <33

Wildfilly94

I say #4. You should tackle the Mustangs ;)

Ryuukokoro

I concur! We need more mustang lovers!!  ;D

Edit: I would especially love to see more tobiano mustangs. :3

Luv007

I'll third that! I've got to get my hands on a mustang!

Kahlira

I might be a bit biased, but I agree with everyone, I love the Mustangs with Tobiano! Seriously =D

Ravvana

I love the Mustangs, the only trouble being that there are only 24 mares (with very few available for RB) and 20 stallions in total, making any goal quite hard to achieve. Although if people are generous with RB trades it may be a fun challenge :)

Maybe a Mustang project to get tobiano in all the following: chestnut, black, bay, brown, palomino, and buckskin? With either gender working equally well. All would somehow be descents of toff's Topganga or Kah's Ayre Ushele.

Or perhaps a complete set of duns -- red, blue, mouse, and yellow? All of whom would be descendents of Doneilliin Ath, the lone first generation dun Mustang XD I would try for the four duns with tobiano to compliment my Gypsy project, but that seems like too hard a task given the current Mustang gene pool.

Ryuukokoro

If you get mares through RB, you could do BC breeds with them. Since the tobiano gene is out there, you get a chance of getting new tobiano blood into the gene pool ^^

JellyThunda

I think you should start a breeding project to introduce patterns into Friesians. <3
I think a red roan tobiano friesian would be superb. :D

Ravvana

Ooh, Ryuu, that's a good idea. Maybe I will test fate this season as I wrap up my last project and breed as many Mustangs as I can get RBs with to BC studs, and then see what results. If I get a nice tobiano that may point me toward a tobiano project for the next few seasons, same with dun, etc :)

Jelly, I'm afraid I don't have the patience to introduce new genes to breeds XD;; Although if someone tackled tobiano or roan Friesians, that would be super neat <3