News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

this just.. riles me up

Started by Daimas, July 30, 2012, 02:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daimas

So, on a few of the horse adopts here, they have Sabino marked as an Overo gene... it is NOT the same genetics that are associated with the Lethal White Syndrome. It is a mix of many genes but Sabino is its OWN genetic sequence.

The main thing that makes me think of this is it is perfectly fine to breed two Sabino together, your foal has the large chance to be a maximum Sabino.

Homozygous Sabino1 ("they" suspect there are multiple Sabino genes) produces a 95%+ white horse. But, there are no health issues associated with it.

Sabino is sort of dominant. It may or may not express.

Sabino is one of the Overo genes. Hang on while I get on a little soapbox here :lol:

APHA has "ruined" the word "Overo", because they use it for everything not-Tobiano. That IS what it is - not Tobiano. But there is Splash, Sabino, Frame, and Dominant White.

Frame is the ONLY gene that produces a Lethal White foal in the homozygous state. However, according to APHA, and therefore far too many of its followers, Frame is synonymous with Overo. So, you will hear people saying "don't breed 2 Overos together, you might get a Lethal foal" :rolleyes:

That is ONLY true is both parents are Frame carriers, regardless of how they look, regardless of what other patterns they carry.

If at least 1 parent is not positive for Frame/LWO, there is *zero* chance of a Lethal foal.

*stepping down*

So yes, you are safe breeding Sabino to Sabino. Just make SURE at least 1 horse is not Frame if there is any possibility either could be a carrier. Frame does exist in TBs, though the lines are very limited, and it exists in QH's (more widespread than TBs) so it's not just limited to Paints.

Quoted from one of several of my sources for genetics.

red_uni387

It may not be 100% accurate, but to have sabino be a completely separate gene would be a lot more difficult to keep track of. Much like not every horse gene is included in the horse adopts with genetics, this was probably done to make it more manageable. The genetic codes are long enough; I don't even want to think about how complicated they would be with all genes included and with 100% accuracy.

Daimas

Oh Im not saying separate them, Im just getting it out there about the Sabino pattern and how several of the 'overo' genes are really alright to breed together to get prettier horses.

red_uni387

If it's mostly white horses you are after, then just breed frame with tobiano to get both :) There are ways to work around this, and you'll end up with pretty much the same result. (hopefully)

Wildfilly94

Wow, that really helps me, thank you Daimas!! :)
I Never considered Sabino an Overo breeding-wise in my own mind, but tjis helps if I ever get confused.

Livery Stables

To me overo is overo for my adoptable because its to much to remember what the differences are between them all.