News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

The Ranch: Horse Rescue- Breeding arena! (page 8)

Started by indigowulf, March 14, 2010, 11:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indigowulf

These were delayed starting up here, as I conversed with Ravvana. I didn't want to present something too similar to TheStable. After a couple adjustments and a website link crediting the stable for inspiration, here they are, with her blessing!

I just purchased these lines from Wild_as_thunder (to whom all art and original concept credit go). Please click the banner for website. I am still uploading mini and warmblood exampls, should have those up within the hour.

purchase thread (page 3): http://ponyisland.net/index.php?src=forum&sub=replies&forum=103&topic=2335323

What is The Ranch Horse Rescue?
Wild horses, horses without pedigree, abused or neglected horses- these need love too!

Not permitted to show or race, sneered at when breeding time comes, viewed as wild pests, and generally forgotten, these horses have been waiting for a chance to show what wonderful companions they can be.

Nobody knows what breed they are, they have no registration papers. Breeds are generally guessed at, and simply classified by blood when being processed.

How we started:
The art was the concept and talent of Wild_as_thunder, from PonyIsland. When creating the idea in May of 2009, she said, "The Ranch Horse Rescue is going to be an adoptable where you can rescue a horse that has been neglected, abused, lost and found so you can love it just as much as it deserves to be loved and treated!"

Due to real life issues taking up her time in unforseen ways, the adoptable didn't get the attention it was intended. However, much interest was shown by the fans, so Wild_as_thunder decided to sell The Ranch to indigowulf, the current owner and manager, in March of 2010.

Originally, the adoptable was intended to have many breeds. 4 breeds lines were finished. However, given the nature of a rescue ranch, breed lines for every breed didn't end up being necessary to operate. Instead, un-pedigreed horses were simply classified by coldblood, warmblood, hotblood, and mini.

We are still in our baby stages, just getting started in PonyIsland introduction forums, and building a fan base on Secundi as well. Stay tuned to watch us grow!

Announcing- the health meter:

Each horse starts with 1 green gem. Taking care of your horses can turn thier red gems into green. A horse with 5 green gems is a healthy, happy horse. Only a healthy horse is capable of breeding or entering events!

You may post a "care" post once per day, during intros. This is not once per horse, it's once per person. The type of care required is not a simple thing that can be done in a short time, it requires the full day. After we leave intro's, that may be changed to once per week. Im not sure yet.

Breeding and competing are tiring work, and may cause a health gem or 2 to drop, so be careful not to overwork your horse! Anyone who works thier horse hard enough that it loses all of it's green gems and becomes sick may not get a new horse until they have all of thier horses at 100%, because the ASPCA will be watching you!

Sample Care Posts
These are just examples, feel free to come up with your own!

Horse: Sheena
Care: Today, I took Sheena to the vet. She got a full check up, and shots. He advised me on a vitamin supliment, which I bought, and will be adding to her feed from now on.

Care: The farriar came out today, and trimmed Sheena's hooves. She was very patient, once we allowed her to see what he was doing. She even balanced herself so she wouldn't put extra weight on him! What a smart, sweet horse!

Sample care posts that are *not* suffecient to get a green gem:
I brush my horse.

Care: I take her for a walk.

indigowulf

Hotbloods
foal(unigender),--------------------mare, ----------------------stallion

Warmbloods

Coldbloods

Minis

indigowulf

Rescues (aka events)

Rescue game 1: suggest a rescue!
ok, calling a halt to this one, got a ton of great ideas, have them all bouncing off eachother in my head for the best way to bring them into reality. If I use one you suggested (even if 2 of your ideas get blended into 1) you'll get a horse. Even if it's at a later date.

Rescue game 2- Save the Auction Horses!
These horses are in pretty bad shape. They mill around the auction corral, overcrowded and frightened. They are also so caked in mud, you cannot tell what they look like!

To save a horse, describe a horse that you think is in the herd. Once they have all been cleaned up, if your described horse is in the mix, it will go home with you! Please note, if 2 or more people describe the same horse, and there are not enough of that kind of horse, the first to post it gets it. No editing! If I see you edit, you will be disqualified from this game completely during all of intros!!

1 guess per person per day (between 00:00 and 23:59 on the secundi clock)
guess form:
Breed (hotblood, warmblood, coldblood, or mini):
Description:

Please make note, we use *real equine genetics*! If you would like to read up on them, you may read this wiki. (or the many links on the website)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equine_coat_color_genetics

Rescue Game 3- Role Play!
It's night when you arrive at the rescue pens. It's so very hard to see the horses in the dark.

One horse is laying down in the mud. The rescue workers haven't been able to do anything. When they get close, the horse lashes out and tries to bite. Now and then, they can agitate it enough that it will stand, but only to move away from them and collapse into the mud again. The vet has been called, but it will take some time for him to arrive.

Concerned that thier efforts are stressing it to the point they are endangering it more, they have called you in for help.

What do you do?

Remember, you can interact with your surroundings, other creatures, and ask the workers to help you to accomplish your goals.

I'm going to decide in advance 3 triggers that each horse is drawn to, and maybe a couple things each fears. If nobody hits a trigger after a bit, it calms and goes with whoever makes it feel safest. If someone does hit the trigger, it goes up to them and they get a chance to befriend it.

If he approaches you, you may take one immediate reaction to the approach, but to try a new thing requires a 1 hour delay, to allow other players to try.

anyone may join in and try to woo this horse

(not his colors- its too dark to see!)

indigowulf

Reserved for pickups

red_uni387

yes! must get some drafties now hehe

Ravvana

Ahh, I need Sean in the Warmblood lines :D *stalks*

red_uni387

Ravvana

I run TheStable, but Silvanon has been helping me out with coloring recently :)

red_uni387

from the website:

The website for The Stable, another horse adoptable, run by Silvanon. She has been endlessly usefull in helping me understand the world of horse genetics!

needs to be fixed then :)

indigowulf

doh! I cant believe I did that lol. I hadnt slept in foreverness

red_uni387

Taking a medium sized apple, I walk slowly toward the horse lying in the mud, with my apple in my outstretched hand. Perhaps he is collapsing out of lack of energy, and needs food...

lol indigo maybe you should take a break

indigowulf

Well, I did most of the website a couple days ago. I finally got good sleep last night.. so much, in fact, that I got up too late to make it to Gamestop for my pre-ordered pokemon soulsilver lol.

indigowulf

Breathing heavy, the large horse sees red coming, and tries to snake out and bite you. The closer you get, the more agitated he becomes. Finally, you are forced to stop before you panic him.

Tribe

Game One Rescue
I suggest a cyo pick a door.
You allow 10 or so people to color a horse. Then those 10 people all get doors, each person gets the horse behind the door they got.

Game Two Rescue
Age (foal or adult):Foal
Breed (hotblood, warmblood, coldblood, or mini):Warmblood
Description:Chesnut tabino paint with flaxen hair

Tribe

Oh dang it, indigo i know you said we werent allowed to edit our post but i meant to put warmblooded not hot blooded is it okay to change it over?

Scullisto

Rescue Game 2:

guess form:
Age (foal or adult): Adult
Breed (hotblood, warmblood, coldblood, or mini):  mini
Description:  From the looks of the mud, it would appear she is black and white overo, as some of the mud is darker and the lighter mud is in odd looking patterns.

Tribe

*coming to the edge of the fence where the horse in enclosed i adjust my self on the furthest side. Talking a calm but assertive voice i call over to him "well arent you a big guy, a little nippy are we. No worries i wont come near you, its all up to you bubba"*

*after speaking to the horse i find a bucket and a hose, filling it with water i walk to another side of the fence still keeping my distance i look the horse in the eyes and slowy place the bucket in the paddock. Leaving him with the bucket of water i take a lawn chair from a tree side and sit myself down next to the gate*

indigowulf

Hunni, go ahead, since nobody has posted the same type of horse yet, I know you arent editing to beat someone else to it. Thats the only reason theres a no-edit rule in place.

Tribe

red_uni387

awww poor horsie D:

Age (foal or adult): adult
Breed (hotblood, warmblood, coldblood, or mini): warmblood
Description: bay with star

TheKennel

Rescue Game 2

guess form:
*is a Garney* =D
Age (foal or adult): adult
Breed (hotblood, warmblood, coldblood, or mini): hotblood
Description: An almost all black fellow with just touches of white, he would be stunning all cleaned up and well-fed.

springacres

Game 3:

It was late when I showed up at the rescue pen, and very dark.  I could just make out the outline of the big draft stallion laying in the mud, his ears pinned.  He was clearly in bad shape.  I'd been told by one of the other workers that he had barely moved all day, only when they could get him agitated enough in fact - and that he would collapse again as soon as he was out of their reach.  In the dark, it was hard to tell his condition.  I felt certain that if we could move him out of the mud and into a barn, we could at least figure out what was wrong with him.

Dark as it was, when I opened the creaky gate I could see his ears swivel and his head turn in my direction.  The big fellow gave a loud snort, that could have been greeting or dismissal.  I chose to take it as the former.  "Hello, there, big fella," I called softly, being careful not to startle or alarm him in any way.  "It's okay, I'm not gonna hurt you."  I had brought a bucket of oats with me, and as I spoke I shook it gently, hoping he would hear the rustling of feed and remember its taste.

springacres

Rescue Game 2:

Breed: Hotblood
Description: Buckskin blanket appaloosa

Ravvana

guess form:
Age (foal or adult): Adult
Breed (hotblood, warmblood, coldblood, or mini): Warmblood
Description: Bay tobiano

indigowulf

The giant horse watches Hunni approach, ears flicking and nostrils flairing. As you get close enough to put the water in the pen, it lifts up its lip as high as it can, showing you its big teeth, glistening in the moonlight.

As you step away, he slowly rises to his feet and makes his way to the bucket. Taking a few small drinks, he lets out a pained moan, and his legs crumple from under him again.

The workers are distressed by this, and start asking eachother if anyone knows how long it will be before the vet arrives?

Hunni, for finding one of his 3 attraction triggers, albeit one he couldn't enjoy, you may take another immediate reaction!

indigowulf

The stallion seems almost put off by the rustling sound of oats in Springacres bucket. His nostrils flair for a moment, taking in the scent, and he groans unhappily.

Tribe

*knowing the poor fellas in pain makes me want to rush his side, however knowing hes afraid of the others i calmy ask them to move away from the paddock in a slow and steady manner. I move a little closer to the male with an outstreched hand just close enough to allow him to sniff without biting me. I say nothing to not scare him all the while i am sitting on the cold wet ground as so not so seem to make myself look large i want him to know hes in control but theres no reason to be afraid.*

springacres

aww :(  maybe I'll have to try another treat instead, if I get the chance lol :)

Tribe

Totally failed the whole pick an event thing. I was to  excited with my idea to see that neither a cyo or pick a door was wanted XD goofy me oh well.

indigowulf

hehe ya, I only want events that fit the theme. Sorry hun.

The stallion doesn't seem to notice as Hunni gets close. Instead, he closes his eyes and begins struggling to roll himself over and over in the mud. There are too many horses closeby for him to get himself over, and he appears to weak too complete the action anyway.

springacres

Game #1: A maze of some sort.  Premise - a horse ran off into a maze of canyons; find it and bring it back.

indigowulf

red_uni gets a little visit, as Galahad sneaks a nose into her pocket, looking for another apple. As soon as red looks at him, he jerks his head up and trots off a few paces, as if to say "I didn't do anything, stinky human!"

eta: pokes Galahad and waits for his photobucket to update.
hehe sorry red, I wanted to show off someone in a finished cert, so Galahad decided to come poke you.

springacres

Aww, I've known a few horses like that in my time :)

Tribe

I do need to wait another hour before i can approach the horse again correct love?

springacres

yeah, both of us do.  Poor boy, he's in such pain...

indigowulf

Yes, 1 hour between attempts, so others can get a chance as well. Ill always post to tell you if you get an immediate reactionary post available to you.

On the website forums, can you guys see the 001-100 section of the forum? It's intended to be hidden from anyone but mods, but Im worried it's not hiding!

red_uni387

*giggles* awww Galahad's warmed up to me already! :D *takes out the apple he sniffed out* This want you want, boy? Come on, I won't take it away *hold out apple*

Turning back to the draft in pain, I steal some alfalfa from Galahad's store and gently offer it to the moaning horse.

Tribe

Oh man i really need to get to bed XD i have a appt for my son at 11 and its hard for me to get up due to the fact that he still keeps me up and being prenant fatigues me to no end..urgh if the boys still not found someone by morning ill totally try to sway him again/

indigowulf

The big boy shows no interest in the alfalfa red is offering. Instead, it reaches back and starts bumping it's nose into its stomache, repeatedly, in the same spot.

Galahad has no such reservations, and steals back his treat, eyeballing red accusingly as he refuses to share

red_uni387

indigo - it doesn't allow me to see that part, redirects me to the same overview of the forum ^^

*frowns* This guy needs help soon, and being picky ain't gonna help >>
*eyes Galahad* you wanna grow fat on alfalfa hmm little boy? *waggles finger*

edit:
Suggest A Rescue: Scavenger Hunt!
A few clever horses have hidden themselves in secret places, but have left behind little notes of pieced together letters to form hints! Decifer those hints and go find those horses! :)

indigowulf

Thanks red, Im in the process of posting everyone's genetics there, and don't want it publicly viewable :) However, if I ever decide to get staff, I wanted it stored online so mod-status on the website can see it.

I'm considering all your suggestions. I may end up combining certain ideas and seeing how they work. If I do, everyone who had a hand in suggestions that went to the final product will get a horse.

Guys, if you read the horse's reaction to everything, you can find clues as to what it needs!

red_uni387

awesome :D

will be thinking up more ideas for you before I fall asleep tonight ^^

and yeah just realized he let Hunni approach Dx

Tribe

As i watch the poor boys reaction it dawns on me exactly what he needs, and if i didnt get him up hed die from what seemed to be colic probably before the morning dawn. I knew it would leave him unsettled but i told the workers around me to clear his pen. He had to be up he had to move he couldnt lay and be allowed to roll because this would only tangle his insides more. As the workers moved the others horses away i tried hard to focus everything i could on just getting this horse to trust me. I wrech out hoping that at this point he was tired of the pain and would allow me to help him.

indigowulf

After walking the poor horse all night and into the wee hours of the morning, Hunni is finally able to make out what he looks like. He is simply exhausted, and has given up fighting you hours ago. The vet has arrived and done what he could, and is monitering as you continue to walk him. At last, it seems his insides are moving as they should again. At least, that's what your nose tells you (eww!).

The vet decides that he should be able to drink water again, and he tries to do so greedily. You have to force him to stop before he makes himself sick all over. The workers go in search of the problem, and find a bag of oats in a wheelbarrel that was left just a bit too close to the corral. It seems the big boy tore it open and ate half the bag, spilling the rest in the grass. The set about raking it up so nobody else gets sick.

The vet is impressed with your initiative, and the workers sign the papers to turn him over to your care. The papers claim he is a pearl pangaré.

indigowulf

The first round of auction horses go back into the paddocks to get washed down. The auction hands inform you that there are no horses matching your orders.

This time around, nobody guessed correctly on any horse that was in the holding pen. This is *not* random. I have folders on my computer with premades, and guessing the premade wins you the auction horse that matches it under all that mud. (if you happen to be on PI as well, that's a different folder!)

Everyone may try again, using the same form as above. Place your "order" with the auctioneers, and if yours matches one that gets washed off, it will go home with you.

Keep in mind, this is the same batch of horses, so the above guesses should not be repeated :)

Oh, I should note: they are not doing genetic testing on your horses, so what your adoption papers claim is the color may not actually be the color. For example, a "white" horse may very well be appaloosa/paint or something else that disguises it's true colors!

YourLoveOnly

guess form:
Age (foal or adult): foal
Breed (hotblood, warmblood, coldblood, or mini): warmblood
Description: chestnut appaloosa

indigowulf

FIRE!    

One of the barns is on fire! Right now, its just starting to fill the barn with smoke. There is a small blaze in the back, which workers are struggling to get under control. They yell out, "There's 3 horses in there! Someone save them!"

They don't have time to tell you which stalls the horses are in. You only have time to open 1 door, but thankfully you see many others rushing in to open doors as well. Choose your stall!

((doors posted on page 2, so its easier to updated))

(yay, I found a way to make a pick-a-door make sence lol- no gaming credit though, because I had to come up with it myself.)

Pinkshadow

Spixy

Poupou