~World of Maxic~Breaking links and hiatus until further notice

Started by Yruvian, October 14, 2009, 05:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yruvian

First of all: this is not an 'I quit' post. I know the combination of breaking links and hiatus may lead to that conclusion. I love my Maxic and it servers as a stress relief. The problem is in the hosting.

A few days ago, my brother got a (very late) warning of his provider that they're physically moving their servers this week. He was about to upload the World of Maxic website at that moment and decided to postpone until the move was completed... and started looking around for new hosting.

Well, I'm a mainframe programmer who dabbles in website design for own use... so I'm used to stable environments with a minimum of down-time. Even more so since I've always worked for a bank... So I thought that meant the gallery would be offline for a few hours, a day at the most, before all links would be restored. I posted to that event in the October thread.

According to my brother this is not going to be the case though. He fully expects all links to break completely. This means a couple of things. First and foremost, your WoM pics that are hosted on the gallery will disappear. Second, I'll have to update all 300+ adoptables currently in the database to the new links.

So... I'm placing WoM on hiatus until the trouble is solved. At that time, I will also post where you can find the new links. If you don't want to lose your adoptables for any amount of time, I suggest hosting them from your own Photobucket for the time being. They will be back, but I have no idea when.

While we are gone, I will try to get the female Visitors done, so you have something to look forward to. I will post updates and previews of that in here, but will host the pics from my Photobucket account.

I hope we'll be back in time for a real Halloween event.

springacres

Thanks for letting me know.  I make a habit of saving my adoptables to my own computer anyway, just in case something like this should happen. :)