News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Need Help Choosing Online School

Started by Kadana Sorano, February 10, 2010, 09:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadana Sorano

OK, I want to go back to school, but combine my social anxiety issues with my transportation issues, and it makes going the traditional way rather daunting.  I've been considering taking classes online for some time now, but I have a fear of choosing the "wrong" school.  By wrong, I mean, a scam, not a legit school.  Because I've heard stories of people taking online classes and then later when applying for a job discovering their degree's etc are basically worthless.

I did try going to the local unemployment office for advise, as they have a hmm student councilor? (not sure what her exact title is, but she is from the area college) who's job it is to go into the unemployment office a couple days a week, and advise people on their educational options.  She was really rather unhelpful.  She had nothing good to say about online colleges in general, and advised that I could take classes at the area college and take some of them online, but that it wasn't advisable to try taking an entire course online.

When explaining to her my transportation issues, combined with my work schedule (this was when I was still working) and my social anxiety.. she pretty much told me to give up the idea of returning to school until "I get some things straightened out".

Umm yea.. at the time I never expected to lose my job (who ever does?) and my transportation issues will be here for quite some time, as for the social anxiety.. yea, I don't see that ever going away.  So basically what I was hearing was "give it up."  Yea.. I thought they were supposed to help us, not knock us down?

Anyway..I KNOW people go to school online, quite successfully.  I just.. don't know how to determine what is a legit online college from a "fake" one.  I also, of course, want a GOOD one.  One that employers respect.

So, anyone here have any knowledge of online educational programs and can give me some advise?

Also.. I have a little (big??) problem of having absolutely no clue what i want to study.  There are a lot of things I am interested in of course, but I'm not sure how feasible they are for looking for work.. so at this point, I just want educated in something that will help me get a job in today's work market.  And.. I have no clue what jobs are sticking around, and which ones are going down hill.

I can say this much.. I hate math.  I can do it, if given a calculator, and as long as it's nothing really complicated.  but beyond that..

Also, nothing medical.  Hospitals, needles, all that mess creep me out big time.  Not to mention I'd have panic attacks all day long from all the people heh

I love to read (I used to think I'd grow up and be a proof reader for all my favorite authors, because I was always finding errors in the books I read lol) but I was told that's not really a "job".  I love being on the computer (obviously).  And, while volunteering at Hospice, I have discovered that I enjoy filing.  I love animals, but I'm not sure what sort of career they offer beyond a vet, which is out of the question for me.  I'm not good with kids.  I have way too short of a temper.

OK, again, any advise?  I'd really appreciate it  a lot.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

BabyKittenCandy

Hmm... were you over here I could recomend a few distance learning places but...

Maybe you could approach a local uni/college and explain the situ to them and see if they have any recomendations? They might do, they might even be able to help you figure somet out with them.

Lectral

University of Phoenix is legit; I believe they are mostly, if not fully online - I have not actually looked into it personally though, as the program I am interested in requires classroom time.  Not sure if they will have all courses that will interest you

I recently found out that my father-in-law has a degree through them

Some fields, depending on what you decide you want to do, will require "in-person" classes; at least a few.  I would love to take online courses (I think O.o), but as I want to get a degree in veterinary technology, most of the classes are pretty hands-on.  Which works for me, as once I get started, in order to get my full financial aid, I have to be in a classroom for at least part of my classes.  I don't remember the exact percentage now, but since I can only think of a couple of the classes I could take online, I think I will be fine

I think most clerical courses (since you said you like filing) would work online; most courses relating to animals, not so much ( I had the same problem back in school, trying to figure out what I could do with animals that wasn't a vet - I did end up finding a list eventually; when I'm feeling better I can hunt it if you like).  I believe proof-reader is a viable position, but would not likely be a permanent or full time job.

I had a similarly unhelpful visit with a school rep a couple years ago.  She was a rep for one of the local community colleges, and I was interested in a specific course of study.  She went on and on about the program at her school (one of 5 or 6 in the local "chain"), though I repeatedly told her that her school was out of my way, and I had researched the program online, and through a former student of one of the other branches of the college.  She then told me that since I was not interested in applying for the term that was about to start, I was basically wasting her time (at the time, I wanted to wait for the following semester).  I got home, and searched her school online, then the one that would be closer to me, and sure enough, her school did NOT even offer the degree I was looking for, but the one closer to me does >.<

Sunchaser

I didnt read everything cause im actually in class right now and so dont want to read more then i have to lol but5 if your looking for a good school FSCJ is the one im going to and for online classes i took two terms of it and it was really good. now im in class but thats cause for me i kinda failed at online my second term cause of emotional break downs *shrugs* but i would just look around and if you have questions i know my mom knows a lot of good schools and so i can help you find a legit one if you wish.

Solistia

Well, not having anything to do with the choice of college, but in regards to your field of study, that 'proofreader' job is called an "Editor." They're people who take manuscripts from authors, and not only proofread, but look for errors in the story, contradictions, help with storylines if authors are stuck, need advice, or their story isn't good enough as is for the publishing company, and make sure the author meets their deadlines. I think if you enjoy reading (and finding errors in those books) you may want to look into the world of Publishing and jobs available there ^o^

Kadana Sorano

Thanks for the advise guys.  I'm going to try and get to the unemployment office tomorrow, seems they have a new councilor now then they did before.  So going to see what she has to say, hopefully she'll be more.. encouraging? then the last woman was.  I just called to try and make an appointment, but they said its walk ins, on a first come basis.. IF she comes in.  Seems she doesn't always.  But meh, we'll see.

I'm still a bit leery of speaking with her after the last lady.  Even though the last one was from a different school (the last one was form Central Carolina, this one's from Fayetteville Tech).. but I just have the feeling that they are more inclined to try and get you enrolled in THEIR school, no matter what.

Hopefully, that's just my paranoia talking though, we'll see!

Failing that, I'll look into University of Phoenix, as it isn't the first time it was mentioned to me.  (Just the first time someone could confirm it is legit).

And in the end, I may well take you up on that Sunny, if you really think she won't mind.

Sunchaser

bewilderness

I've thought of going the online route too but had the same issue, wondering which ones were legit.  And I've got really bad social anxiety too.  :P  To the point that I can't work right now.

Have you thought about being a librarian?  The pay rate's not too great but it's not real stressful.  School and university librarians make more than public librarians.

Kadana Sorano

Just wanted to post a bit of an update, and a thank you to everyone who tried to help/gave advise.

So, I went back to the local unemployment office.  They have a new lady working there for helping with education stuff.  She was MUCH nicer then the last one.  Way more patient, and extremely helpful.  Seriously, I was so wound up and nervous when I went in there my hands were shaking.  And straight off I lay it all down for her, all my problems and issues.. all the reasons why I wanted/needed online schooling instead of traditional classroom.

Well, she just kind of blinked at me for a minute (maybe because I'd just babbled on and on without taking time for a breathe even..) then smiled and told me to have a seat, and she was sure we could come up with something.  I wanted to cry, seriously.  Which totally made me feel stupid.

Well, she made a list of my interests (of which I do have a lot) and my dislikes (I also have a lot) and of the things I am good at that could, possibly, be usable in a work environment (not so many here..)  Then I sat and twiddled my thumbs and fretted while she did stuff on the computer and made a bunch of calls.

In the end, she came up with a list (small to be sure, but still) of potential courses I could take.  We discussed it, weighed the pro's/con's of each, and decided on one that seemed the best suited to all my "issues".

It's a class that is listed as an online course (though it will still possibly have some real class time required) I'm told it should be mostly online.  As a bonus, there is a possibility that it could lead to a "work from home" job.  Or atleast partially from home.  Depends on the employer/situation, apparently.

So, she helped me with (what I thought) was registering for classes, and applying for financial aid.  Then I had to wait, for letters in the mail.  Now I have those, and am a bit confused.  They say they need copy of my GED, and my placement scores.  OK, I can get a copy of the GED, and I have to go take placement testing.  The confusing part, is that I'm apparently not registered yet.  They don't seem to think this is a big deal, but me.. I thought that's what I did with the nice lady at the employment office.  If she wasn't helping me get registered, then what, exactly, were we doing?

Well anyway, I am too late for summer? classes, and have to wait for fall.  So I've been advised to study up some before I make an appointment to take my placement tests.  reading Comp I'm so not worried about.  Sentence structure, ok, I have no clue how I am with that but I'm not stressed.  but Elementary Algebra .. yea.. I'm more then a bit scared/nervous with that one.  I hate HATE math. 

So I'm going to take the advise and study (mostly the algebra heh) before going for the test.  Incidentally, what the heck is a Placement test anyway?  The lady I spoke with today said "Don't worry, it's not that kind of test, there is no pass/fail."  Ok, yea, now that's confusing to me.  I mean, what's the point of a test if there is no pass/fail?  Was she just trying to make me feel better?

Right, so that's where I am now.  If all goes well then I will begin classes sometime in August.  I'll probably be a nervous wreck for a while, but that's not really anything new lol

Math

My mom recently finished her Masters course at Yorkville University and got course credits (if that's what they're called) at the online University of Phoenix. :)