News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

[rant] Ugh! Stupid people - take care of your pets!

Started by Spixy, June 17, 2010, 02:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spixy

big rant incomming!

Grrrr! I hate people who doesn't take care of their pets!

My boyfriend and I recently bought two guniea pigs. Our neighbour has three guniea pigs that all run loose and usually sit in our garden. They've always looked fine - thick and healthy. Yesterday I found one of their pigs in our garden - just sitting, looking confused and unhappy. I picked him up and his breathing was very wheezy. So I brought him to his owners, who said they would deal with him.

Today he's in our garden again! He was almost looking worse than yesterday, so I took him inside and he's been sitting at our heater since midday. Now 8 hours later after coaxing food and sugar-water in him, he's finally eating a bit of broccoli and looking a bit more 'alive'. I really doubt he'll make it through the night though.

I wish I had the money to call the vet and have them see him, but I don't have 100 euro for another persons pet this month :/ I really wish I had though, just seeing an animal like this makes me cry.

I've decided to keep him at the heater overnight - offering him sugar water every 15th minute and I have an experienced gunia pig owner guiding me. But it's just tough and makes me so angry that people won't care for their pets :(

Victoria

That is so sad! If i had money left i would send it to your paypal... :-\ Hopfully he makes it and if he does not you could call aspca on the people for mistreating animals

Spixy

I'm afraid we don't have an animal police here in Denmark :(

He's starting to look better - sitting up now instead of laying on his side. Still trying to get some fluid and food in him. His poo is starting to look more wet though :/

Goddesss

awwww poor guy.  I hope you can make him better.  If not it is still wonderful that you tried.  I cant imagine letting a guniea pigs run around outside alone.  We had a bunch of them when I was a kid.  My sister brought the Class pet home for the summer (Mo).  Then my mother bought us one (Bonny).  I dont know if she though Mo was a girl or what but we had babies. =)

Neocridders

It really bothers me that people just don't care. Her guinea pigs don't run away if they are loose?
Well, it's nice that you're doing something about it.

In the last day or two, there was something on the news about a person who owned 70 or so lisenced dogs. I want to know what mental condition that person had, and how in the world that person could care for them herself. Plus, that must be illegal, animal cops did somethng on a lady with like 15 dogs.

Well, it kills me that people don't care about the well beings of their animals.
I am sorry I went bit on a different topic, but I just had to say that.

I hope  guiena pig makes it!

Victoria

Caesar has like 100 dogs! But he takes care of them all but they might not get as much attention though.

Neocridders

Caesar (from the dog whisperer I'm assuming) is probably a very good owner. He probably has many people helping him take care of his animals, and I am sure he loves each one individually. I think he is a professional, plus he has a tv show, so he has money to take care of them. From what I hear, the person who I'm talking about was not a professional, he/she did not have tons of room for the animals, they were not treated great, and the person probably does not have much money. Now, I don't have all the info, as I had to leave halfway through the story, but it does seem rather rediculous to have that many dogs. I wonder if I heard this wrong... either way, I am almost positive that anyone who has that many animals in a house, if they are not rich or have a ton of helpers, the animals are not going to get very good care.

But, I know I shouldn't say that because I don't know that for fact.
But this thread is not about that, and I'm sorry thatI moved it on a separate topic. The point of it was supposed to be that it really drives me crazy when people don't take care of their pets.

Or, atleast it would be nice if people tried.

Victoria

I know why get a animal if you wont take care of it!

Spixy

Don't worry :-)

And thanks Neo :D

The neighbour is a child-family. They've 'fenced' their garden and still their guniea pigs run out. We asked him once and the man went like 'If they die, then it's just nature' ehhm ok. But yes, they return at nighttime to their cage and sleeps.

Update on the tiny man: He lives! Amazingly enough. I've been able to get some more fluid in him and he's eating some cucumber too. I now have to figure out what to do with him, because we don't have an extra cage or the money to take him to the vet and the local gunia pig center is full :/ But I won't let him go before I'm 100% it's to a good home, that's for sure. Don't want him to end up in the hands of people like my neighbour again >:(

indigowulf

Even if there is no ASPCA in your area (theres not where I am either, which is stupid, we are the 2nd largest city in the state) you can still call the police. Its still ilegal, and they can still be arrested and serve time and huge fines, and even be court ordered to never own animals again if they abused/neglected it bad enough. If that doesnt work, call the media. Tell them you have a story of animal neglect and police negligence lol. that should get some balls rolling.

I called in about someone here having a wallaby (which is illegal to own here without special lisencing) and they had the poor dear outside in a doghouse in an electic fence (elec wire just inside chain link) I mean these little guys are NOT made for pac. nw. climate- it freezes and snows here!

Spixy

I've thought about it, but I don't think there's enough for a case. I mean yes, they let out their guniea pigs and let them run loose, but they'll probably claim to have 'done everything they can' and possibly that they didn't see him 'sick enough' ? >_<

The worst is - that they have two other gunia pigs still sitting in there. Both of them are looking very healthy (.. even though their female is pregnant) so I assume they'll just make up some story about this little guy  >:(

Spixy

I've just been given the other male.

I don't have any offers for anyone to take the sick boy - tried several forums. *sigh* I really wish that I had saved up this month, but I'm missing atleast 50 euro to take him to the vet myself. It's really really frustrating! Why couldn't this happen in 10 days?

Spixy

Oh that's just retarded!

The small boy might have a disease that could possibly have smitten our two piggies - and when I went in and asked the neighbour to take the sick boy to the vet, they refused. 'Wouldn't it be better to just put him down?' - Well yes, but he's so much better! Why on earth not give him a chance - he has probably smitten our two piggies too. So now I'm stuck with not only ONE guniea pig to take to the vet - but four!

I can never hope to cash in that much money in time.. Grrr.. The stupidity of some people!

Keilin Alyr

Yikes, I hope all your guinea pigs are gonna be okay! If you can, I'd try and isolate the original sick male, preferably in another room. And definitely wash your hands between handling your guinea pigs. Might seem a bit paranoid, but it might keep the illness from worsening and if one of them isn't sick it might keep them from catching whatever ails the others.

Good luck to you and your guinea pigs, Spixy! *hugs*

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

Spixy

Hurray! I managed to find the original breeder of the two boys and I've generously taken them both in and will get them seen by a Vet. So no giant Vet bill for me! :D

So, now we're just crossing fingers that the boy didn't infect my two girlies.

*happy-sad Spixy* I cried the whole trip home - sitting up with a sick guniea pig through nights really bonds you to it :(

Goddesss

awwww *hugs*  At least he will be getting the care he needs now without causing you the extra stress.