News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

<.< ..... >.> I might be taking in a rabbit..

Started by Wildfilly94, August 08, 2011, 11:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfilly94

Soooo... Long story short I lmost hit this rabbit with the lawn mower, and I picked it up thinking it was dead, and it moved, so I put it in a box thing, finished mowing and came back and let him go back to where he was (Hes so small he can fit in my palm, so a BABY). Well because I'm like  worried mother, I went to check on him  cuple hours later, still there. and I checked an hour ago and he was still there, in a ball all pitiful and cute trying to stay warm int he little mini hole he made. If he's still there when I get up in the morning, Im going to put him back in the box thing and look up info on baby rabbits and do all I can to raise him. I'm not just going to let him die because his mother didn't come back for him. But anyway, yeah. Lol. Had to share my story. <3
Any advice on baby rabbit care?

springacres

Rather than you taking him in yourself, I'd suggest taking him to a local wildlife rehab center - particularly if you have other pets, like dogs or cats that haven't been around rabbits and might go after him as prey.  A wildlife rehab center would be better equipped to care for an orphaned or abandoned baby rabbit born in the wild and to deal with any medical problems he may have.

Just my 2c.

TanzeOdin

I think springacres has a good point, I found this site on how to tell if the babie's really an orphan and things to do if it is. http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

Wildfilly94

Well, see I have an advantage most people don't.. My moms a vet tech and the Vet himself can take care of many animals, as far as lizards, to turtles, to horses, monkeys. So i'd be alright if he got medical issues. He would be outside, even though my cats have no claws, they may bite him or scare him, so Id get him an encloser for outside. My only real issues are; what to feed him, waht to keep him in for shelter until I find a decent encloser, and the like.

Thank you for the advice though. <3

Wildfilly94

Ohh, and I will most definantly use that link TanzeOdin. <3 thanks.

springacres

Well in that case you definitely have an advantage over most people in your situation, Wild.  Even so, I'd suggest you do a bit of research on wild rabbits versus tame rabbits all the same, to see what the differences are (if any) in terms of feeding/nutritional needs, general care, and different diseases they may carry.  I'd also look into local wildlife regulations as it may be illegal in your area to keep a wild-born animal as a pet.

(Having said all that, I should note that I've never owned rabbits and have no idea how different a wild rabbit may be from a domestic-bred one.)

TanzeOdin

No problem Wildfilly ^-^ Was looking for something to do anyway XD

Wildfilly94

GOOD NEWS!!!

His mother came back for him. <3 Hes nice and safe with her, and will hopefully survive and grow up. :)

TanzeOdin

Thats awesome!  ;D Good job at checking in on him and keeping him safe x3

Wildfilly94

Wildfilly94

Course nw we have a bigger issue.. >.> Mom found a baby mouse under the fridge with our cats just casually hanging out, surrounding the fridge. Sooo we have baby mice int eh hosue. >.<

springacres

SOO glad the baby rabbit is safe with his mother!

TanzeOdin

I wouldn't be able to decide between letting the cats have it or trying to move the mice family somewhere else >.< Sorry for you

Luv007

My mom's dog, Robin, gave a momma mouse a heart attack.  Then poor Robin didn't know what to do and got scared herself.

And about a week later, my mom found the dead babies and their nest in the pantry.  Not cool.

Wildfilly94

Yeah. Im tied between moving the family(s? >.<) or letting my cats play with them. My cats are idiots though,w ith no front claws so all they do is bite, if that, or scare it to  death.

TanzeOdin

My cat's kinda... sadistic? She plays with them a long time though, so we've saved any that she found and put them out. But yeah >.< Thats a tough decision.. I'd say let the cats play but watch them and then move the family?

Wildfilly94

Yeah thas prolly what we'll do. moms at work but shes gunna get a flashlight for us to look around for them with, see if we can find the group

TanzeOdin

Good luck to yah, sounds like it'll be a pain.

Wildfilly94