News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

One of those things you just don't want to see in life.

Started by Bunraku, January 13, 2013, 04:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunraku

A person can go through life hearing about a terrible thing and thinking "that's terrible, I wouldn't want to be in that situation" feel sympathy for it, and the people involved, and never see it first hand.... but when its in your face and hits close to home, its an entierly different story.

I've just been witness to a house fire. Right through my own kitchen window. You can't imagine (or maybe you can, if you've seen one) how utterly horrifying it is to hear someone say that they see flickering through the trees, rush into your kitchen, and see those flames licking away at someones house, and you know, you just KNOW in that instant of shock that that's someones home, that contains someones memories, that real living people and animals could be in there, and you're just standing there watching from you're own safe house like its some kind of spectacle.

Luckily, we have a very good fire department, and were we are, we are VERY close to the dispatch, so the fire was put out almost as soon as we noticed it. It was a very large fire though, it must have spread through the house very quickly. I can only imagine the damages caused by it. The irony of all this? Just this morning I was thinking of my own childhood fear of house fires, even though I had never been in one or witnessed one.

More importantly, I fear for the people inside of the house, and any animals they might have owned. I don't know if they are okay, but I suppose it will be in the papers and I'll find out eventually. Until then, please pray for them in whatever way you can. I know you don't know them, and they don't know you, and this is just the internet, but I believe in the power of peoples thoughts and what they can do.

Wildfilly94

Ohh wow, thats a horrible thing to go through, or even have to see. :( I hope that family, and whatever pets or sacred things they may have owned are okay. <3

I also, have never before seen a fire like that. Only on TV or seen the smoke from afar. I can't imagine how horrifying it must be to see it. Or to have that be YOUR house. :(

Saturnalia

Oh, wow. I'll be thinking of them; that's horrible. I can only imagine how scary it was to see it. I did see a car fire once, with flames shooting 4+ feet into the air-- and that was pretty terrifying.

Here, the hurricane was like that for me. It's one thing to hear about it on the news and see a downed tree or two, but to see nothing where a house used to stand-- swept completely into the bay-- was unbelievable. A friend of mine literally lost the entire first floor of her house and everything in it; the water just washed it all away. My own family lost a lot, so I know how hard it can be to focus on what you do still have-- your life, and what can be salvaged-- and I hope that your neighbors can get through and focus on those things.

Bunraku

Hurricanes are another thing where the damage is just so horrible that its hard to imagine. I've been through several in my life, but never one like you just described. I'm sorry you had to go through that Sat ><

But I hope they can get through this too. I wish there was some way I could help, but I don't even know them, so I can't even think of anything that might be of help.