News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Baby shower advice?

Started by jojo, January 27, 2013, 02:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

For people experienced with having/attending baby showers... asking for advice!

First off, I'm not pregnant XD But my sister is! Some of her good friends are putting on a surprise baby shower for her and invited me to come...

Unfortunately, I'm working/living out of state and it's a couple hundred bucks to fly and hotel to get back there for just one night. I wouldn't mind if it was on a weekend, but it's on a weekday :( I think her friends didn't know I was out of state when they sent the invite email.

Not sure what I should do... I don't want to hurt my sister's feelings obviously, but I can't figure out a situation where I'd be able to go. Should I just mail a gift and card in my place? (Maybe I could send it to her friends and they can bring it to her?)

Pinkshadow

I think you should send her a card and a gift, and yeah maybe send it to the friends so it doesn't ruin the surprice :)
- I don't think she would be hurt by you not coming, if you do that. Economic can be an arse sometimes. :)

I did it with my veery near cousin ones, shes the sister i never got, but i couldnt afford to go to her, so i sended a card and gift instead and remembered to save money for a trip when the baby was born and such xD

Saturnalia

I think that it's perfectly acceptable to mail a gift and a card, and maybe just give a brief apology in the card about not being able to make it. And yes, I think it's a great idea to mail the gift to her friend so that she can open it at the shower! She'll know you were still thinking about it. I'm pretty sure I've seen that done at showers I attended :)

Silvanon

We live on the other side of the country from all our relatives, so when I was expecting LilBit they all mailed me their gifts, and then got together and watched me open them via Skype.  XD

jojo

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I will go with mailing a gift/card. Hopefully I can get a hold of one of her friends. Sounds like a good idea to save my money for when the baby is born like Pinkshadow said. :)

Leafy

Get her all the REALLY NOISY TOYS you can. That's a sign of being a great aunt. The more noise the toys make, the more you love the little thingy :D

Goddesss

If it was me I would send a meaningful card to her friend so she can open it at the shower and know you are thinking about her.  I would put in the card that I couldnt make it to the shower but I will be there when the baby is born or soon after to visit and help out.  I would send a gift closer to the baby being born or bring it with me when I visit so I could get her something she needs but doesnt have yet.  Or I would send a gift card or money so she can get what she needs and hasnt gotten.

With my son I had a baby shower and family that couldnt make it had sent the gifts to my mom who was throwing the shower or sent them with other family who was able to make it from the area they lived in.

With my daughter we had just moved to a state where we only knew one person so I didnt have a shower.  My sister came the day before my scheduled c section.  It was such a big help.  We actually moved the night before the c section so my sister got there at 6 pm and we moved all night long.  Went in for my surgery at 8 am.  She was able to watch our son so my husband could be with me and she helped my husband get the house ready for us to come home.  I am really not sure how I would have done it without her because I couldnt drive, it was my sons last week of kindergarten which was in a different town 45 minutes away and we had moved suddenly so I would have come home to a huge mess.

Your sister would most likely prefer for you to visit when you can stay longer so you guys can spend quality time together.  She will have to split her attention between many people at the shower and if you can only stay that one day there wont be much time.