News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

And the Angels Called - Swearingen

Started by Neocridders, February 28, 2010, 12:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neocridders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EuFVyqi0Vw
(I hope it is okay to post youtube links on secundi.)
There is nothing innopropriate at all, but as a warning, it is youtube. There are some pretty questionable things on youtube. If you are not okay with this, please do not click the link.
You would have to travel away from the page or click an advertisement, though. The page is safe.

I must say, I have been searching for this song for a long, long time.
There is a story behind it you might want to hear before you hear it.

(This is in my own words as how I remember it):
Three young highschool students. They were great kids, all friends. The three were in band. One played Tuba, one played Trumpet, one played Flute. They were all in a car one day, and sadly that day was when their young lives were lost. They were killed in an accident. The school comissioned a song from James Swearingen to honor these students. In this song, the featured soloists (Trumpet, Tuba, Flute) all work together to make a very memorable song.

In my own opinion, this is special. The song has one of the lowest instruments, one of the highest instruments, and then the instrument in the middle playing together, weaving melody around in the most fantastic way.

I was supposed to play this in band last year, but for some reason my band directors never actually came through.
They gave us many sheets of music for different songs, and for some reason wanted to play other songs for contest.
Let me tell you, it was painful to give him back the music at the end of the year. I wanted to keep it. It is so wonderful, and I was so devastated we never played it in concert.

I've been looking on youtube for a sample of this music. I was sad that it was not available on itunes, and I was only finding really crummy bands on youtube. I mean, I don't want to be rude to the children playing in those bands, but they just did not have any feeling at all. None of the videos I found were half decent.

But, today I came across one that has the professional score I believe.

I am beyond excited.
I hope you like it. It is my favorite song. It is magical and meaningful and it was meant to be heard. And I hope you like it.
Here is the summary I found on his website:

"Reflective, joyous and uplifting are but a few of the words that best describe this highly dramatic work by noted composer James Swearingen. Intended as a tribute, this composition musically celebrates th...ree wonderful high school students whose lives were all tragically taken. Great compositional writing, memorable themes and an emotional middle section based on an old English hymn, all combine to create an outstanding piece that is well-suited for contest and festival use. Your students will greatly benefit from the various solo opportunities and the powerful ending will leave your audience with a tremendous feeling of hope and resolve. Incredibly stunning!"