News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Here we go again... -_-

Started by Ryuukokoro, April 26, 2010, 06:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryuukokoro

Kohaku went back to the vets today. -_-

This morning I woke up because he was crying and squatting in the corner of the room, and when I went to pick him up he hissed at me. Kohaku has always been a real quiet cat and has hissed only a handle of times his entire life, so I knew he must be in a lot of pain. He also had the same symptoms as last month, running back to the litter box constantly but no urine coming out.

So I made a vet appointment for 4 o'clock and he's now at the vets. The vets decision is that since this keeps happening, they're going to do a surgery. Some people might not want to read details so I'm going to use indigowulf's trick and put the next paragraph invisible. Highlight to read, if you're not squeemish.

The vet said that since using a catheter and special food didn't stop the blocking from happening, they're going to do a surgery to stop the problem. This is apparently common in male cats because they have a very narrow urethra and it can become blocked easily. The surgery is going to completely remove his penis and just leave an opening in the skin for the urethra, just like a female cat's private parts. :( Poor Kohaku!

The surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, and they have to use anethesia which is always risky, so please everyone keep Kohaku in your thoughts and prayers that he comes out of this okay. They said they're going to call me tomorrow as soon as they surgery is done to let me know how it went.

The operation is going to cost $750. Thank the Lord I got that much returned to me in taxes earlier this month, or I would NEVER be able to afford it. I won't have to have a fundraiser this time, but there goes all the money I was hoping to save. :(

I'll let everyone know how the surgery went after they call me tomorrow. The vet says it's not that dangerous compared to other surgeries and he should be okay. But of course I still worry. There's always a danger when you put an animal under anethesia and I'm just so worried about him.

red_uni387

*squishes* I will keep him in my thoughts <3 Poor kitty, though hopefully this problem will be fixed with the surgery

PonyMama

Poor guy, but at least you kinda knew this was a possibility and had the money even if you wanted to save it.

springacres

*super squishes Ryuu* I will keep him in my thoughts as well.

Ryuukokoro

Thanks guys. *hugs*

Yeah I was in luck this time, even though it was bad news.

PonyMama

it's never good, but beign prepared is helpful
He will be in our thoughts

Goddesss

*hugs* Ryuu and sends happy thoughts for her boy.

Kadana Sorano

poor kitty!  *huggles Ryu* and poor you!  I hope everything goes OK and he comes home safely to you.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

CutieePiee

*hugs* Will keep poor kitty in my thoughts. <3

Ravvana

Oh, Ryuu :( I will keep my fingers crossed for both of you.

indigowulf

Mutt

Poor Kohaku, I hope all goes well, my father's cat Sparkie has had the exact same problem several times now and if it happens again will be undergoing the same surgery so Sparkie and I will also keep him in our thoughts.

cameron

Awww. Poor Kohaku! *squishes Ryuu* hope his recovery goes well.

Man I'd hate to be the one to get my manhood taken! Its twice as bad as getting your tubes tied! Haha...

*smooshes again* Give him a big 'ol smooch for me will ya? :)

Ryuukokoro

Midnight Phantom

YourLoveOnly

Keeping my fingers crossed, let's hope all goes well! *hugs for both of you*

BabyKittenCandy

Yikes!

Poor Kohaku! And poor you! Thank goodness you had that tax return

Will keep you in my thoughts

Lectral

Wow, that must be a new possibility... when my Sebastian had these problems recurring every other year, that surgery was never even suggested :(  The last time he had it, it was worse than any of the previous times; my only options were treatment, and risking it coming back even worse the next time (at an age where it would have been even harder on him), or putting him to sleep so he wouldn't suffer any more  :'(

bewilderness

Ryuukokoro

I'm sorry to hear that, Lectral. :( Poor boy.

I got the call from the vet today, right after Kohaku got out of surgery. He is doing great! ^_^ The surgery went perfectly and they're going to keep him for one more day to make sure he's peeing okay and everything seems to be healing up good. So I get to pick him up tomorrow. I'm so relieved!

I'm thinking the girl kitty is going to be mad but I'll lock her in the back room for a couple days, since I'm sure Kohaku will be sore and she is kinda hard on him when they start playing rough. (Well, he plays rough too lol, so I think they should be separated for a few days.)

Solistia

That's good to hear Ryuu! I'm glad he made it through :3
I hope this fixes the problem so he won't have to suffer again =D

Poupou

Glad to hear Kohaku's doing good!  :)

Midnight Phantom

Ryuukokoro

Update!

I had to work today but picked up Kohaku before heading to work, and now I'm home!

The poor baby looks to be in rough shape, as anyone would coming out of such a big surgery. The vet assured me he went through the surgery very well and urinated in the morning, and everything looked fine, so I took him home and got him settled before heading to work.

The poor baby has a bloody leg (I assume from when they took the IV out) and is all shaved between his legs, and he has to wear a cone on his head for 12 days while the stitches heal. He's really worn out and I wish he'd spend more time sleeping but so far he spends a lot of time wandering around the apartment, probably checking on things and probably very confused about all that happened.

The cone is confusing him a lot. He keeps hitting his head on the wall or chair or table legs, and tried going under the couch but he doesn't fit with the cone. After a while he'll lay down but it's awkward for him, I can tell, and he gets up again after a short time.

The vet told me litter might get into the stitching so for the next week or so I'm using shredded newspaper for litter. I spent about an hour this morning ripping up junkmail and putting it in a new litterbox lol. And when I came home tonight I saw he had peed in the newspaper so that's good! Seems all the pluming is working down there! I also checked and saw him able to eat and drink with the cone on, though it took him a while to figure out how.

Here's some pictures of the poor baby, very tired and glad to be home.

PS: Mango is locked in the back room for the next week or so, poor girl. She has food and water and her own litter box of course, but she is NOT happy and meowed for three straight hours before I went to work. Now that I'm home she's at it again. I sincerely hope my downstairs neighbor doesn't kill me. I'll go spend a couple hours with her in the back room once I've spent some time out front here with Kohaku.

Goddesss

Awww poor sweet guy.  My do had surgery once and she got used to her cone about the time it was ready to come off.  It messes with their senses and they aren't used to it.  

Did you ask the vet about Mongo?  I would think it would be ok to have them together once he is not so tired and more aware.  He is actually most likely missing her and cats are good about either knowing something is wrong and babying each other.  Or if she gets too rough your boy will put his foot down.  It might be comforting to him to have her around though.  

Ryuukokoro

Good point, Goddesss! I'll call my vet tomorrow and see what he thinks. :)

Solistia

(got permission from Losty, so a gift for Ryuu!)

:3

Ryuukokoro

AWWWWWW thank you so much!! That is the cutest thing ever! Hee hee. ^^

Kadana Sorano

glad to see him back home ryu.  poor dear, he looks so worn out!  I hope everything goes better from here on out for him.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

springacres

So glad to hear he is back home and his plumbing is working again!  :)

And yeah, cones are hard for pets to figure out.  Callie had one on for about a week after another dog bit her and ripped off a chunk of her ear, and it took her a day or two to figure out there was something on her neck that kept bumping into things.  I was surprised at how fast she figured out she could still fit into her kennel with it on though :)

Spixy

Aww poor baby. It's good to hear that he's alright after the surgery though ^^
Give the little boy a large stroke from me :-) *sends over treats and get-well cards*

Wolfs Fang

It's good to hear that your kitty is back home now. <33 Good luck!

~Fang
~~