News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

2010: A Space Odessy | Marching Band show for '10 season

Started by Neocridders, May 28, 2010, 03:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neocridders

Wheeeee. It's that time of year again. Marching Band <3
And so I've had some fears for this year, I've had some things happen, and I've shared a few of those things here I think, but whatever. I was scared that this year was going to be terrible. The seniors from the '09 season were fantastic, and I didn't know what to expect without them. But, I guess my fears were stupid.

I've met most of our incoming sophomores (called Rookies if they've never been in marching band before).
These rookies are so cool. I was scared I would dislike them all, since there are a ton of current freshmen that are... how do I put this nicely... annoying? Unintelligent? This year's freshman think they are top of the world. Many say and do innappropriate things and are just disrespectful. I know, I know. There are always kids like that. But, the to-be sophomores (current freshmen) seem to be really bad.

But, lucky for us all of our rookies are people I more than likely won't go insane with. Haha. We are like a family in the mello section, and I am glad we will be able to get along.

Anyway, this is going to be a great year. The show's title is called 2010: A space odessy, and includes some of the epic songs from Gustov Holst. His plant suite is very famous, we are playing my two favorites. Mars, the bringer of war, and Jupiter, the bringer of Jollity.

And I can't remember the third tune to save my life. I'm sorry, I'll update if I remember.

But the third tune was whatever John Williams's inspiration was for his music score on ET (<333)
Only problem is John williams copyrights his music in a way that prevents anyone from arranging it for marching band. We took a public version that is for anyone to have, but it's not exactly what I call ET. It's not the tune I know and love of ET. It is just the fanfare.

Alright, and in the arrangement of Mars, bringer of war, we have the 2001 theme. Ohhh my gosh! It's so cool how our arranger made it.

Hehe.

If anyone is curious of the wonderful planet suite songs, I bet you'll know one of them. The sound familiar, one of those tunes you can't place where you've heard before. Or maybe that's just me?

Here is Mars:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I&NR=1
(WARNING. Youtube is a site with videos that may not be PG-13. If you decide to wander from the link I post, you might come across something not so appropriate for someone younger.
Just thought I'd warn you :)

Jupiter:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo&feature=related

And I'm just happy for this week to be over. It was emmensly stressful and I need a break.
And yeah. I just felt I needed to share. Hehe :D