News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Cyberpet History

Started by jojo, October 08, 2010, 12:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

You know, I was thinking... cyberpets have been around for a long time, and we've had our famous people, the creation of "nations" (you know, places like Secundi, Eastern Isle, etc), disasters (geocities) and of course, critters! There's a lot that's happened.

Not sure if everyone's already heard of this, I happened upon this Cyberpets Wiki (http://caow.straitjacketeers.com/index.php?title=Main_Page) that some other people seem to have started and I was thinking about updating it with what I know. It might be cool to have many people working on it so the cyberpet world could be up to date with each other.

Just a thought that I'm sharing ^^ It'd be cool to be a Cyberpets Historian!

Silvanon

Awe, someone's already made stubs for me & the Orchard.  *feels all warm & fuzzy*

jojo

Tee hee, well Silv, you're pretty well known XD I'm gonna try to add an entry for Secundi soon XD

Woah, after some investigation, it looks like Starluck/Syrcaid of Sweetwater Valley and her RL husband were the ones that made this wiki in 2005 O.o

Keilin Alyr

Oh yeah, the CAOW. I have no clue if anything relating to straitjacketeers.com is still active, but it looks like there's some interesting stuff in there, and I see some seriously old school agencies listed. XD

Don't get me wrong, your idea of reviving old history and the like is awesome, but it'd be a royal pain to try and just document all the various current groups, communities, and lone sites, much less try and trace down old histories. Despite the archival sites, losing Geocities was a major pain in the hindquarters for a lot of that.

Oh... despite the fact that it's fallen out of my interests, I consider myself something of a veteran of the Nexus/Kshau Protectorate (12 years in one community will do that to you...). I've also been an on and off member of the Orchard for about as long, I've followed the EverRealm, City of Shar, Sanori Gardens... oh man, a lot of places where I've forgotten names but I have faint recollection. Good memories. =)

Man, and there are some critters I miss, a lot of them I remember adopting or watching through the Orchard and Eastern Isle. I better stop rambling now, before I continue reminiscing about dimly remembered places that only a few people beyond you and Silvanon have any idea ever existed. XD

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

Entaeyen

I've got to agree. As much as I would love to see a lot of the old sites make a huge comeback.. and as much as I would love to see a project completed as you described.. I think it would just be a giant pain and you might end up feeling as if its not worth it. I've been visiting a lot of the old school sites (like Sweetwater Valley, EverRealm, etc. and of course Silvanon's own) pretty much since they were new. I've watched a lot of them fade away into nothing essentially. It makes me sad because I've spent so many good times on some of those sites. Of course finding Secundi was like finding a treasure because so many of the old sites are gone now or haven't updated in years.

However, I'm not really up to date with any of the current adoption agencies out there so it would be interesting to see what's out there now. The Web is such a different place than it was ten years ago - I wasn't really sure if anyone really bothered with the adoption agencies these days when you have things like Neopets, UniCreatures, etc. that are more interactive and all on one site.

jojo

Oh yeah, I have no doubt it's going to be a royal pain to maintain or even create something that's up to date XD I really wasn't thinking of some sort of organized effort or anything, I just happened across the site and thought I would share it. I just think I might add articles every now and then. I suppose I just like writing stuff down ^^

Though, listening to you guys, it really is quite amazing how long the cyberpet world has been around. O.o Now that I think about it, I probably started, like, 7 years ago or something? And still here we are XD

Entaeyen

I agree, it has been around a long time :) I've been going to some of the sites for at least 10 or 11 years, some more or less.

Silvanon

I launched into cyberpets in 1997, 13 years ago, with the Drigus being adopted out from the Silver Unicorn.  Been doing something or other with cyberpets ever since. 

... Those numbers are scary when you consider I was "old" for the adoption community when I started.  XD   

*waves a cane around and speaks in the trembling, cranky voice of a grandma*  "Back in my day...!"

jojo

Omg! I remember the Drigus! XD I don't think I was active enough back then to get myself one, though *was shy*

Lol, at least I can say to other people that cyberpets are educational... I passed the genetics part of my high school biology high school classes with flying colors because of everything I learned from cyberpet genetics >_>;