News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Nw astrological signs.

Started by Neocridders, January 14, 2011, 08:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neocridders

I'm furious. I've been a virgo my whole life, and according to my mom, now I'm a Leo?
No. No no no no no.
Can someone post the dates that tell you all the signs and when they now fall?
Thanks. My phone is being stubborn and refuses to let me google. Open links, or do anything.
Thank you.

So , anyone else have feelings over these new signs?
I don't know about you, but i'm still going to consider myself a virgo for now.

Sunchaser

Actually if you type in horoscopes and go to the first one it talks about how its not true. you are still what you are based on westerned astrology because of the fact its based ont he seasons not the stars :) i was curious to if i had changed and found that out.

Neocridders

Sunchaser

lol yeah apparently it was all hype. Its kinda funny to see how fast rumors can spread. Especially with the internet now.

Ryuukokoro

Yes this is almost the same thing that happened when they made Pluto 'not a planet.' Big hype, everyone talked about it, but in the end nothing really changed.

I read about it this morning when MSN popped up with some articles about it.

Neocridders

But Pluto really isn't a planet, as of now. So, that means I'm not really a virgo (as of now)?

Or does it just start now, and anyone born on my birthday from now on is a Leo?
DX Sorry, I'm not that into astrology, but I liked to know that I was a virgo. My virgo personality matched me perfectly.

Ryuukokoro

Eh, I was just using that as an analogy, sorry to be confusing lol.

As far as I heard, no one is changing any kind of signs. You'll always be Virgo.

This reminds me though, growing up I ALWAYS thought my chinese zodiac was the Boar, because I was born in 1983. And I was always annoyed and unsatisfied with it because I didn't want to be a pig lol. Not exactly a glamorous animal! But just recently I found out that the chinese zodiac doesn't match up their year exactly with ours, and I was born in the beginning of the year, so actually I fall under the previous year in the zodiac, which is the Dog!

I think an upgrade from a Boar to a Dog is okay, but now I kinda miss being a Boar. XD

Sunchaser

Neocridders

Haha I'm a dog too. And I always thought dog was a boring animal, being a cat person. But now I'm happy, since I've come to love it.

PonyMama

I think chinese new year falls on like the 3rd Ryuu
you still a boar like me

Signs won't change, cause if they did then they will have to change ever like 20-30 years as the world, wobbles, more

Neocridders

Feb 3rd is the date of the new year

Ryuukokoro

I think the chinese new year adjusts itself to keep up with the earth's weird rotation, it's different each year. In 1983 when I was born, Feb 5th (my birthday) was the old year, hence the Dog. Well, according to the website I looked at anyway. ^.^ Websites aren't necessarily right all the time! But it seemed to know what it was talking about lol.

Keilin Alyr

Actually did a little research into this, but from what I'm understanding, the Earth hasn't been aligned with the zodiac signs as classically presented for hundreds of years, due to the Earth naturally wobbling on its axis. So the zodiac alignment has been skewed and we've been dealing with the emergence of Ophiuchus probably for many years now. We just didn't realize it until recently.

Heh, I also managed to confuse two FB friends with that explanation. But yeah, apparently it'll only effect kids born after 2009 if anyone in the astrology community at large actually agrees to the change, which given that astrology isn't a science... could be interesting to watch develop. I'll grab the popcorn. =)

That all being said, strangely, I think I'm far more suited to being a Pisces than an Aries. Granted, every natal chart reading I've generated for fun has flat out said I'm an abnormal or unusually passive Aries. Something about interaction between my rising and moon signs... yeah, this all goes way over my head. XD

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

Ryuukokoro

I didn't even look to see if I'm 'still' an Aquarius, but yeah as Keilin says, this is going to be fun to watch the field of astrology to see what happens. I wouldn't actually be surprised if some started using the 'new' system and some kept the old, so you would then be given a choice when you wanted your horoscope read lol.

Despite that I don't really believe in the stars influencing personality, I do admit I fit Aquarius so exact that it's actually kinda scary. XD

Little Chimaera

lol i dont know what i would be. i dont follow it much but what does it say for the 'new' signs? can someone post it here please?

-Sunchaser
Little Chimaera shop account. Accessible by all of our staff.

Kage posts in blue
NillaBean posts in purple
Aralie posts in red
SkySong posts in teal

hiyoko

Entaeyen

Once a Pisces, always a Pisces.. that's me ;) I'm a monkey, too.

Here's where I found the "new" zodiac: http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/your-astronomical-sign.html

Capricorn - Jan 20 to Feb 16
Aquarius - Feb 16 to Mar 11
Pisces - Mar 11 to Apr 18
Aries - Apr 18 to May 13
Taurus - May 13 to Jun 21
Gemini - Jun 21 to Jul 20
Cancer - Jul 20 to Aug 10
Leo - Aug 10 to Sep 16
Virgo - Sep 16 to Oct 30
Libra - Oct 30 to Nov 23
Scorpius - Nov 23 to Nov 29
Ophiuchus - Nov 29 to Dec 17
Sagittarius - Dec 17 to Jan 20

My boyfriend was born Feb 16, right on the cusp in this new zodiac. He was born premature, so although traditionally he was born in Aquarius he was supposed to be born during Pisces. Interestingly he has some of the Pisces traits.

hiyoko

The 'new' zodiac stinks. :( I'm so a cancer, cause I'm so emotional.lol Look up cancer and 99.9% describes me.lol

Sunchaser

Ryuukokoro

Apparently I'm now Capricorn, oooo. Ironically both my parents are lol. (although with the new system they both switched to Sagittarius.)

Does anyone else agree that the new symbol (well, it's an ancient symbol that people newly remember exist, I mean lol) is just so cool? A guy holding a giant snake? Aaaaawesome. X3

Sunchaser

lol i think its fun :) though right now im re reading hte forth anita blake novel where the Naga comes up >.>

Entaeyen

I agree, this new zodiac stinks. I tend to get along well with Libra but under the new system they're all Virgo - my opposite. Of course under the new system, I wonder what the opposites are.. that 13 sign kind of messes up some things.

Entaeyen

I'm curious as to whether anyone here knows anyone who falls under the new sign? I've studied astrology off and on for many years so naturally I'm finding this all very interesting. I can only think of one person I know off hand who falls under Ophiuchus. I'm just wondering what the traits are and if they seem to fit true to those traits.

Neocridders

I'm having trouble finding the traits for this new sign, what might the traits be?

Ryuukokoro

The astrology scientists probably have to look in their crystal balls to find out the traits before they can post them online. XD

Actually if they're going to keep it as a sign, I'll bet they take traits from the signs before and after it and adjust them a bit.

Entaeyen

right Ryuu, from what I've read the traits come from a combo of Scorpio and Sagittarius.. water and fire, huh? I agree.. they're probably still making them up lol

I found another Web site which posts a completely different zodiac for those born after 1990, which makes it even more confusing.

for children born beginning 1990:
AQUARIUS March 26 - April 18
PISCES April 19 - May 26
ARIES May 27 - June 20
TAURUS June 21 - July27
GEMINI July 28 - August 27
CANCER August 28 - September 17
LEO September 18 - October 24
VIRGO October 25 - December 9
LIBRA December 10 - January 1
SCORPIO January 2 - January 8
OPHIUCHUS January 9 - Janury 26
SAGITTARIUS January 27 - February 27
CAPRICORN February 28 - March 25

Sunchaser

lol i was about to say im a pieces O.O lol nope one year before 1990 lol

toffeeca

I'm really confused about why all this is coming out now. Several years ago I learned about there being 13 signs in my astronomy class. But 13 doesn't divide evenly into the 12 month calendar so they just dropped a sign. The "new" dates are the correct dates based on where the sun actually is, but I am just really don't understand why it is now such a big deal.

I personally think that all of the sign stuff is just dumb though. I think of lot of the stuff that is attributed to a sign, are things that people make fit themselves. "One time I was really stubborn, so I am totally a taurus". I just don't see the big deal with any of it, or why all of a sudden everyone is upset because they now fall under the correct sign. When I log into facebook everyone is posting about how upset they are and they will never be this "new" sign, when I don't see the big deal. I was born in March, but I could claim to be whatever sign I wanted, so why get so mad about something that really doesn't matter? Although, I do find it really funny about all the people who have their sign tattooed and now think that their tattoo means nothing because the "scientists" changed it.

Sunchaser

lol *snugs toffeeca* that image from yoru last sentance came into my mind. I can see a big burly man with a taurus tatoo and now he is jumping up and down screaming that he is no longer a taurus. *giggles* im not upset either way. I am a taurus cause it fits me.

toffeeca

I see a little pressy "i'm better than the world" girl throwing a fit and demanding that the scientists change it back so that her tattoo is right.

I find it really weird because scientists have known since forever, I learned about it in a beginning astronomy class, so its not some secret. I feel like some reporter just found out so it just exploded to be some huge deal. I just imagine some brand new reporter sitting in class and learning this and just jumping around and writing an article to prove that he can do the job and then everyone jumping on it like its the end of the world.

Sunchaser

Lol to both :-p i like that image to

Ryuukokoro

Quote from: toffeeca on January 14, 2011, 02:44:16 PM
I'm really confused about why all this is coming out now. Several years ago I learned about there being 13 signs in my astronomy class. But 13 doesn't divide evenly into the 12 month calendar so they just dropped a sign. The "new" dates are the correct dates based on where the sun actually is, but I am just really don't understand why it is now such a big deal.

I think it's because now, which is different than even just a few years ago, news travels VERY fast online. One of the articles I was reading said that he (the article writer) found out about it through Twitter, because you can go there and see what is the most popular words every Twitter account is posting for that day. So all it takes is someone to see the word 'astrology' in the Twitter feed and google that and they can see a recent article someone made, then they make their own Tweet about it, which adds fuel to the fire, etc. etc.

The same thing is true for google. You can go and see the most popular search engine words of the day, and the more people who check that and then google the word for themselves to see what the big deal is, it just builds up more and more.

You can see how word of 'mouth' online gets to be a snowball effect and suddenly everyone is talking about it. Welcome to the information age. All based on absolutely nothing at all. *shakes head*

Willow

D':

I've always been Aquarius (Feb 4th)
I love Aquarius, and I'm staying one XD
<3
~Willow

PonyMama

I was born a pisies and will continue to be, my hubby the same, our daughters were born Aries and Gemini.  So as they were born before all this crap that's what we stay, as they can't come to me and say hey your name no longer exsists so we are now going to call you Joan, since that is older then your name and it fits you better.  NOPE

I have know about Ophiuchus for years.
but I also know that if the earth wobbles all the time they will need to change it yearly, so we will have to go by what you were born with that year

Sometimes I think the need to change what everyone thinks by science is some smart guys way of lording over us all "All I have to do is say this, argue my point and have my friends agree and I can rule the world, that chickens were once part alligator"

Lectral

I was reading about this the other day, and it was mostly just a confusion between two separate zodiac systems: the tropical zodiac, which is the standard 12 signs that most Western astologers use which is based on seasons, and not the actual constellations; and the siderreal (spelling?) zodiac, which is based on the actual constellations.  The "new" sign is associated with the second system, so probably doesn't affect most people, unless they have been using that system already

PonyMama

Ryuukokoro

Willow is only a day off from me! :o

Wolfs Fang

Well, according to the "new" astrological sign chart, I'm an Ophiuchus. But according to the "old" one, I'm a Sagittarius.

But really, I don't think that it's such a big deal... I mean, it all depends on which astrological calendar you follow. If you follow the traditional one based on the seasons, then there's no change for you. :P Really, it all just depends on what you consider yourself to be.

So I can still say Sagittarius FTW! :D
~~