News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

New dog breeds!

Started by Ryuukokoro, February 14, 2011, 07:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryuukokoro

I know we're all big Kennel fans here and now that Garney is back, I thought maybe some dog news would interest people!

Each year back when I had cable I loved watching the dog shows. The Westminster Dog Show is going on today and tomorrow and on msn.com this morning I caught the artical that they had included 6 new breeds this year! Very interesting!

The new breeds are:  the Icelandic sheepdog, the Leonberger, the Boykin spaniel, the cane corso, the bluetick coonhound and the redbone coonhound.

Of course these breeds have been around for a long time, they're not really 'new'. ;) Just new to being allowed in this international dog show.

I'm at work at the moment so I can't go google searching to post pics, but anyone is welcome to so we can squeal over cute doggy photos!

YourLoveOnly

I totally vote for getting the Boykin spaniel into TheKennel so we have a complete Spaniel collection xD I know some breeders who would be so happy with that, even though I personally don't breed them anymore.

I often watch Dog 101 on Animal Planet nowadays when it's late and I'm tired, but can't fall asleep xD So I've seen a few of those come by, they are lovely breeds for sure ^^

Winged

I've found some pics!

Icelandic sheepdog

Awwww! That dog is so adorable :D

Leonberger

I've heard of them before, are they really only just admitted to that show? They're quite an old breed, i believe.

Boykin spaniel

Hadn't heard of them before.

Cane corso
Hmm, looks a bit like a pit-bull/great dane cross. By the way, i have nothing against pit-bulls :) Just incase anyone gets offended.

Bluetick coonhound

Coonhound sounds american, so it's probably not supsising that i haven't heard of them before.

Redbone coonhound
Owner of Gliders!

Solistia

Xenon has a huge big puppy Leonburger, he's so adorable, and much bigger than both of us XD

springacres

OMGOSH COONHOUNDS.  *has a Black & Tan Coonhound/Lab mix who she ADORES*

You all can have your spaniels, just give me the coonhounds and I'll be a happy spring x)

And Winged Dreams - the Cane Corso is an Italian mastiff breed, so not that surprising that they resemble both pit bulls and Great Danes.  Love those dark brindles by the way.

xenon

I <3 Leos so much. Like Soli says, my parents own one. X3

They are a very old breed and fought for years to not be recognized by the AKC. << The Leonberger Society is very small and very selective, and they wanted very badly to keep it that way. XD

springacres

Yeah, I remember reading some time ago about the steps required for a new breed to achieve AKC recognition, and it is quite a long process to get even provisional recognition.

Ryuukokoro

So jealous of X! Ryuu wants a big fluffy doggie!! ^___^