News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Fondant Sponge Cake

Started by Wildfilly94, June 13, 2012, 02:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfilly94

Alright guys. I'm going crazy and decided instead of a gift for my moms birthday, I'm making her a cake. I invisioned it in my head last night, so I need to make sketches of what I plan to do, or my 3 setup plans and pick one. I'll post those later today.
For now, I'll tell you my idea..

I want to make her a beautiful, fun, colorful cake with her favorite colors and mabye her favorite designs too. It will have purple and turqoise polka dots, mabye some striping, and MABYE some elegant black designs she loves so much that you always see on wedding cakes. Not sure if I can encorporate that into the fun, cute designs. I'm going to try to make little tiaras and shoes and stupid girly things on it too. XD and as for the final piece, I'm making her a pug sculpture (edible) with a pink collar that says 'Princess' on it, sense we have  apug and she loves her, and thinks she's a princess. >.<

For the setup of the cake, I don't know yet. Its going to take alot of cake batter to make just one cake, and I originally hoped for one rectangluar cake with her elegant designs, and a smaller, round one to sit on top with the fun, colorful part and the pug. But I don't know if I can afford all the ingrediants for this much batter and fondant. :/ So I may just do a big round cake with the fun junk instead. Or a 2 teired with the fun, or 2 teired with one elegant, and one fun. Not sure yet.

Actually I think i am. Depending on what Walmart has for me design-wise, I'm probably gunna do a 2 teired round cake, with elegant designs on the first teir, and fun craziness + the pug on the second. OR 2 teirs of funa nd craziness with the pug on the second teir.

For the pug, I plan to make rice crispies in a pan, stack them in a way that sort-of forms a dog sitting, and shave the tret until it resembles a very plain, no expressions dog. I then will cover that in buttercream frosting VERY thin, and then coat it with modeling chocolate. Then I'll use my fingers and a stupid nut-cracker tool to form the face and ears and expression on the dog. The color will b difficult, sense I don't have an airbrush tool, and wont (100+ dollars D:), I'll have to mix food dye colors to get wwhat I want, and smooth the areas where the different colors connect. This will be a long and tedious process, I'll prolly cry and scream. >.< But the outcome should look nice.
For the collor, I'm using either leftover modeling chocolate, or fondant.

For the cake itself, I'm using sponge cake (its italian), and cutting the shapes I need to form the cake. Each cake teir will have 3 layers of cake inside. Between layers will be butercream, and a thin layer will cover the cake so the fondant will stick. I MIGHT get a pie filling can and slap that inbetween some layers, sense my mom likes fruit.
For the polka dots and other designs, I'm using fondant. ^^

This all has to be done and pretty by sunday, the 17th (Fathers day D:), as thats her birthday!
Wish me luck, and stay tuned for more information, pictures, blogging of my tears, etc..

Wildfilly94

Updates

Finished!!!

And just for kicks, heres the bottom teir fail:

Wildfilly94

As some of you may know, Cake Boss is a tv show of a guy, Buddy, who makes these FABULOUS cakes. I got this idea from him, as well as 2 of my three recipes.

Carlo's Sponge Cake Recipe
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter (lightly salted)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Using this recipe x3 probably

1. Beat eggs in large mixing bowl with paddle attachment for 4 minutes.  Do not skip this step!

2. Add sugar, and continue beating for another 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and stir on low until just combined.

3. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients.  Add to eggs and sugar on low speed until just combined.

4. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter on low heat just until butter is melted.  Add to batter, beat just until combined.

5. Pour into two greased and floured 8" round cake pans.

6. Bake at 325 until the middle springs back when touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand in pans for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto wire cooling racks and cool completely.

Hint: Cakes are close to being done when you start to smell them.

Carlo's Marshmallow Fondant Recipe

16 oz mini-marshmallows
2 lb powdered sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tsp corn syrup (optional)
1 tsp lemon extract (optional)

Using this recipe x1 1/2

Yield: 3 lbs fondant

Step 1: Melt marshmallows

Empty your bag of marshmallows into a large, microwave-safe bowl, and add water. Microwave until the marshmallows are puffed up and soft looking (about 2 minutes in my microwave).

Step 2: Grease a wooden spoon

This is really important - while your marshmallows are in the microwave, use a paper towel and some shortening to thoroughly lubricate a wooden spoon. Making marshmallow fondant is a sticky business, and this is one way to make it a little easier on yourself.

Step 3: Start to stir and add optional ingredients

Add your corn syrup and lemon extract, if you are using them. The corn syrup seems to help with flexibility of the fondant after it reaches room temperature, and the extract is for added flavor and to help cut the sweetness. The mixture should be kind of soupy as you stir it, and most of the marshmallows should be dissolved.

If you want to color this entire batch, you can add color now, rather than trying to knead it in later.

Step 4: Adding powdered sugar

Gradually, begin to stir in the powdered sugar.

Continue stirring and adding powdered sugar until you have used about 2/3 of the bag. Stop when it becomes difficult to continue to stir with the spoon.

Step 5 Turn out onto greased surface and knead

Turn out onto a greased surface. KEEPING IN MIND THAT IT IS HOT, begin CAREFULLY kneading with your hands, and gradually add in the rest of your bag of powdered sugar. You may not need to use the entire bag! You'll want to stop kneading when the fondant stops absorbing the powdered sugar, and it actually feels like warm fondant (this is where previous experience with fondant comes in handy). You may want to keep your shortening nearby so you can grease your hands as necessary.

* A special note about stand mixers: I know that some people use their stand mixer and hook attachment to mix their MMF. Some people are successful and have never had a problem, but I have read TOO MANY STORIES of people burning out their mixer's motor this way! It's not worth the risk, folks! Your stand mixer wasn't made for this!

When you've reached this point, it's time to grease the outside so that it won't dry out, and then put it in a gallon-sized ziploc bag to rest. It should rest for several hours, preferably overnight. Right now it is too warm and soft to use.

When you are ready to use your MMF, grease your work surface with shortening and a paper towel. Be sure to cover every spot, there is nothing worse than having your fondant stick to the mat!

The two most important things to have on hand when working with marshmallow fondant are shortening and a microwave. Marshmallow fondant does not loosen up with kneading, like traditional fondant.

This is fondant straight from the bag. If it is too hard to roll out, put it in the microwave in 5-second increments until it is kneadable. It's important to not "melt" your MMF! You just want to soften it enough so that you can knead it and roll it out! A liberal coating of shortening on your hands will assist with the kneading process.

Roll out as you would for any other kind of fondant, and cover cake as usual.

Rice Cripies Recipe

•4 cups (1 lb bag) of rice krispie or similar cereal
5 cups (16 oz bag) of mini marshmallows
1/4 cup butter or vegatable oil

Instructions
1st melt the butter thoroughly in a medium sized pot, then you dump the marshmallows in.
2.Keep mixing until the marshmallows melt and they no longer have a shape.
4.Add the cereal.
6.Stir quickly to make sure all the cereal gets covered in marshmallow. And that's it.

Wildfilly94

whatever else post.

You can post ^^

Pinkshadow

Winged

Wow, that sounds like loads of work! Cool though :) I've never tried modeling on a cake like that, only ever made butter icing for the topping.
Owner of Gliders!

Wildfilly94

^Same. Lol. This is why I say I'll probably cry and scream. Never worked with fondant. Never done filling in a cake. Never done crazy decorations. I do have pottery class on my back though, so that should help with modeling the pug. O.o

Pinkshadow

Fondant is actually not that hard to work with (:
- me and my cousin does it sometimes.

Just remember to stop when its getting to warm and sticky xD

Wildfilly94

Thanks for the tip! :D
Updated the 'updates' section. XP

Wildfilly94

skysnolimit

This is looking to be a masterpiece!  And what a cute pug!!  Good work and good luck, of course!

Wildfilly94

Thanks!!

I've run into a dilema.. >.>
Mom was supposed to buy milk cause I 'Need it for cereal' but she didn't and I HAVE to make the cakes today.. SO... I'm hoping my aunt will pull through and get me a gallon for free (WIC) and then I can start making cakes! :D

SkySong

Good luck, then! The pug looks really neat, by the way!
Adoptable threads: None currently ~ Trading thread: N/A ~ Breeding thread

LC Custom Status: Closed
LC Breeding Status: Closed

Wildfilly94

Gpa to the rescue!! :D
I have milk, now to start baking! <3

skysnolimit

So many cliffhangerssss!!!!!!  I'm practically glued to this thread XD  Keep us posted, please ^^

Wildfilly94

Okay. So I'm only gunna post picture in the update section. I'll type posts for written updates.

Well, the first batch I made of cakes, I forgot that I'd doubled the batch and put half the amount of floud and eggs I needed. So I ran to the oven, added the ingredients, and tried rebaking. Success. :D
The second batch went well, cept one cake wanted to stay in the pan, and not go on the plate. >.> So its missing a few chuncks around the outside. Haha.
I cut the tops off of the first three cakes, and I'm on my way to my grandparents house to cut the other cakes from 9inch, to 6 inch. Then I'll be icing them all with buttercream, and adding the strawberry filling between layers. ^^ If I have time, I'll do the base of the fondant, if not, I'm doinh that tomorrow morning. I'm at a race against time!! Her birthday is in 2 days and I have SO much to do!! D:

Hoping for the best on cutting the cakes! <3

SkySong

Good luck! I wish I could help you, four hands are definitely better than two!

Wildfilly94

Ill update later if I can..

the bottom teir fell apart and was a disaster. I can't fix it either.. however, its edible. Haha. the top teir looks gorgeous. i just hate to add decorations to it.
the pug still needs to be Fondant..ed..? Haha. its sad toblosevmy.bottom teir, but the top one works too. :)

SkySong

toblosevmy.bottom.... That's an interesting word there. :P

But that's too bad. :( At least the top turned out alright!

Wildfilly94

Gah! my phone doesn't know how to spell.
finished the pug, and the cake for the most part. still need to write happy bday on it and attach the pug to the cake, bit yeah. :) Ill have pictures up when I can. Im unexpectedly going to six flags tomorrow, and my moms birthday is Sunday, and Im spending the day with my dad Monday.. SO I dunno when ill have pictures up. but they will be up someday. xD

Kahlira

Yay! Looks cute =D

Have fun!

Wildfilly94

Finished everything, showed mom and she loved it!! <3

I'll have pictures up tomorrow or tuesday!

SkySong

Yay! I can't wait, it seems like it'll be awesome!

skysnolimit

I'm so excited!  Congrats Wildfilly!

Wildfilly94

All done and uploaded! :)

Excuse the little tyke bellies. :P

And the green icing says 'Happy bday mom'.. As you can see, there was barely any room for that. XD

Winged

That looks great! And the pug actually looks really realistic for a cake. He's massive too, i had imagined a tiny wee thing xD Bet your mum loved it :)
Owner of Gliders!

Wildfilly94

Thanks! :D

I was also expecting to make her smaller, but, whtever works. :P

SkySong

Aralie

Wildfilly94

Ryuukokoro

Dawwwwwwwwwww cutest cake ever!

Wildfilly94

Willow

It looks amazing and very yummy! The pug is awesome too, I'm so bad at any type of 3D modelling (edible or no), they always end up looking like road kill |3
My mum makes cakes as a hobby too, so I always like seeing how they come along :D

I've been refraining from looking in here....Because now I really want cake and marshmallows and all the wonderful things that are bad for you D8

<3

Wildfilly94

Thanks Willow! :)
And haha, I'm sorry for making you crave sugar. XD

On the other hand, I saw one of your moms cakes on FB, and it was amazing!! :O

Kahlira

That pug is simply adorable!

And the cake looks so much nom! *drools*

Ravvana

I am a really big baker (dream of owning a bakery some day), but I always aim for boring-looking but tasty over fancy XD That is super impressive, especially the pug :)

Wildfilly94

Thank guys!! :') We uh... murdered the.puggle last night. xD she tastes awesome! :o